Poll: Is the Union Doing Enough?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Is the union doing enough to push for improved pay and work conditions?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 48

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Poll: Is the Union Doing Enough?

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

---------- ADS -----------

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Poll: Is the Union Doing Enough?

Post by Outlaw58 »

Out of curiosity... what is the union doing? have they told you??

Could you be mistaking an apparent lack of progress with inaction?

These things take time, especially considering that the Jazz situation is not a simple bilateral negotiation. The 4-part relationship (AC, ACPA, Jazz, ALPA) is probably the most complex of the canadian aviation landscape.

Remember the old "good/cheap*/fast" saying:
*not giving up much

If you want something good and cheap, it won't be fast.

But if you push for something good and fast, it won't be cheap... and if you push even further for something cheap and fast...you can be your proverbial behind that it won't be good.

Nick678
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Nick678 »

The time to negotiate and reach an agreement was last year, where were they?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

The fact is the company doesn’t have to give us a cent till 2035 because we accepted that garbage contract. What they do have to do is attract new hires with acceptable pay or airplanes will be getting parked real soon.

Let’s Go Brandon
fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:49 am The fact is the company doesn’t have to give us a cent till 2035 because we accepted that garbage contract. What they do have to do is attract new hires with acceptable pay or airplanes will be getting parked real soon.
Airplanes are already being parked. Have you seen the Embraer fleet in YYZ? They're cycling through the fleet so every plane doesn't sit for too long but it's not uncommon for planes to be a week or two between flights. The Q and RJ flying has also drastically reduced frequency with much longer sit times between turns, no more standups and inefficient pairings. Same thing is happening at Encore; both companies would rather park their aircraft and give up market share to Flair, Lynx and porter than pay pilots more. It's actually baffling to see where as our American counterparts are having a bidding war to maintain or grow marketshare.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

fixnfly wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:08 am
Inverted2 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:49 am The fact is the company doesn’t have to give us a cent till 2035 because we accepted that garbage contract. What they do have to do is attract new hires with acceptable pay or airplanes will be getting parked real soon.
.... The Q and RJ flying has also drastically reduced frequency with much longer sit times between turns, no more standups and inefficient pairings....
only good thing ive heard lately lol.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I think he meant no stand ups and inefficient pairings. As in 1-2 short legs a day so your 4 days work is 18-20 credit hours. That sure is happening here. Working 17-18 days a month unless you’re in the top 10% where you can pick the few higher credit pairings.

Let’s Go Brandon
flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:29 pm I think he meant no stand ups and inefficient pairings. As in 1-2 short legs a day so your 4 days work is 18-20 credit hours. That sure is happening here. Working 17-18 days a month unless you’re in the top 10% where you can pick the few higher credit pairings.
ah, still.. hated CDs when I was there

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I did too!

Let’s Go Brandon
truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:29 pm I think he meant no stand ups and inefficient pairings. As in 1-2 short legs a day so your 4 days work is 18-20 credit hours. That sure is happening here. Working 17-18 days a month unless you’re in the top 10% where you can pick the few higher credit pairings.
17 - 18 day months are very fatiguing. Best make sure you are well rested, both mentally and physically, or do the right thing and take some time to properly rest.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

I think the issue is the pay is so low, that any time taken off is a hit to vital perdiem that we rely so heavily on at jazz.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:21 pm I think the issue is the pay is so low, that any time taken off is a hit to vital perdiem that we rely so heavily on at jazz.
Oh I understand. But then pick up WDOs once rested. Or the more people that book off because they are burnt out, the more unstable the operation becomes, and maybe that will motivate the powers that be.

Though at this rate, it appears they would rather shut the entire place down than pay pilots more, so they can feel good about all the cost savings they are enjoying from not paying pilots more.

This group of management is bizzare. So is Westjets.

If I was AC I would get a world class contract in place at both mainline and regional, and then just hire every pilot they can denying their competition an ability to function.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

truedude wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:08 pm
17 - 18 day months are very fatiguing. Best make sure you are well rested, both mentally and physically, or do the right thing and take some time to properly rest.
Now factor in commuting time for those of us that can't afford a place 15-30 mins from our base...

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”