AA Crew involved in JFK near miss refuses to talk to NTSB

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: AA Crew involved in JFK near miss refuses to talk to NTSB

Post by cdnavater »

cdnavater wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:51 pm
digits_ wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:48 pm
cdnavater wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:35 pm McDonald’s coffee is no hotter than anyone else’s
Actually, it was. That was one of the main points of the lawsuit

During the case, Liebeck's attorneys discovered that McDonald's required franchisees to hold coffee at 180–190 °F (82–88 °C). Liebeck's attorneys argued that coffee should never be served hotter than 140 °F (60 °C), and that a number of other establishments served coffee at a substantially lower temperature than McDonald's. The attorneys presented evidence that coffee they had tested all over the city was served at a temperature at least 20 °F (11 °C) lower than McDonald's coffee.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v ... estaurants
cdnavater wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:35 pm Now, I haven’t read the details
That's obvious.
Nope, I’m not seeing what you’re seeing, coffee is hot, period. A jury decided that McDonald’s was at fault because the label describing it as hot was too small, holy @#$!.
Other coffee around the city was 20 degrees lower but still at the threshold that will cause third degree burns, Starbucks serves theirs at 175-185, it’s still ridiculous, she chose to put a cup of hot coffee between her lap and spilled it, I don’t understand why anyone supports this shit.
https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/5098-T ... Scalds.pdf

Most adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

cdnavater wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:35 pm McDonald’s coffee is no hotter than anyone else’s

During the case, Liebeck's attorneys discovered that McDonald's required franchisees to hold coffee at 180–190 °F (82–88 °C). Liebeck's attorneys argued that coffee should never be served hotter than 140 °F (60 °C), and that a number of other establishments served coffee at a substantially lower temperature than McDonald's. The attorneys presented evidence that coffee they had tested all over the city was served at a temperature at least 20 °F (11 °C) lower than McDonald's coffee.
cdnavater wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:35 pm Now, I haven’t read the details
That's obvious.
Nope, I’m not seeing what you’re seeing, coffee is hot, period. A jury decided that McDonald’s was at fault because the label describing it as hot was too small, holy @#$!.
Other coffee around the city was 20 degrees lower but still at the threshold that will cause third degree burns, Starbucks serves theirs at 175-185, it’s still ridiculous, she chose to put a cup of hot coffee between her lap and spilled it, I don’t understand why anyone supports this shit.
So you're using the argument that mc Donald's coffee is as hot as anyone elses yourself, until proven wrong and then it doesn't matter anymore?

Wikipedia gives a good summary as to what factors were at play. It's not just 'here ya go, 3 million because you dropped your coffee '. There is more to it.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

digits_ wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:26 pm

That's obvious.
So you're using the argument that mc Donald's coffee is as hot as anyone elses yourself, until proven wrong and then it doesn't matter anymore?

Wikipedia gives a good summary as to what factors were at play. It's not just 'here ya go, 3 million because you dropped your coffee '. There is more to it.
Nope, I’m using the argument, don’t be a fucken idiot and put hot coffee between your legs in case you spill it, coffee is hot.
Even if the McDonald’s coffee was 40 degrees less than their average, 150 still gives third degree burns in 2 seconds, so unless she could whip off her sweats in less than two seconds the end result is the same, maybe to a slightly lesser degree.
Should every idiot who doesn’t realize coffee is really hot and burns themselves be entitled to compensation?
What temperature do you want your coffee to be served at, a nice lukewarm so nobody ever gets hurt again.
I get why McDonald’s stood their ground. If they didn’t draw the line, I’d say maybe they stop serving coffee or serve it with a liability waiver, you want this coffee sign here.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

cdnavater wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:50 am As a Canadian, if you faced the kind of lawsuits that the US system allows, the kind where if someone burns themself with hot coffee can get millions...
The judgement was for $640k; both sides appealed and the final settlement was not disclosed. Nobody got millions.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

photofly wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:21 amNobody got millions.
How do you know that, if the settlement was not disclosed? :rolleyes: This thread has definitely jumped the shark.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

albertdesalvo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:27 am
How do you know that, if the settlement was not disclosed? :rolleyes: This thread has definitely jumped the shark.
Because there was no realistic prospect that the award would be enlarged on appeal, and because the plaintiff had already offered to settle for less than half of that.

McDonald’s admitted at trial that consumers were unaware of the extent of the risk of serious burns from spilled coffee served at McDonald’s then-required temperature. It also admitted it did not warn customers of the nature and extent of this risk and could offer no explanation as to why it did not.

It's definitely obvious to some people that the coffee was served hot enough to scald to such a significant extent, but not to everyone. It probably wasn't obvious to the 79 year-old person who scalded herself.

I'm not sure you can call it a frivolous lawsuit if the judgement goes for the plaintiff.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:21 am
Little Star wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:03 am The AA crew must comply with the subpoena and testify before NTSB. However, they can remain silent as they are protected against self-incrimination under the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
That is their right.

As a fellow pilot, an amateur pilot, am I expected to admire, endorse and support this as exemplary conduct of a professional?
To be fair, I have never once head an airline pilot hold themselves out to be a figure of respect, or a paragon of exemplary conduct to be admired by amateurs. Mostly because most airline pilots don't acknowledge amateurs as pilots at all ;-)

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

photofly wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:37 am
rookiepilot wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:21 am
Little Star wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:03 am The AA crew must comply with the subpoena and testify before NTSB. However, they can remain silent as they are protected against self-incrimination under the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
That is their right.

As a fellow pilot, an amateur pilot, am I expected to admire, endorse and support this as exemplary conduct of a professional?
To be fair, I have never once head an airline pilot hold themselves out to be a figure of respect, or a paragon of exemplary conduct to be admired by amateurs. Mostly because most airline pilots don't acknowledge amateurs as pilots at all ;-)
That is true!

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

photofly wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:31 am
albertdesalvo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:27 am
Because there was no realistic prospect that the award would be enlarged on appeal, and because the plaintiff had already offered to settle for less than half of that.

McDonald’s admitted at trial that consumers were unaware of the extent of the risk of serious burns from spilled coffee served at McDonald’s then-required temperature. It also admitted it did not warn customers of the nature and extent of this risk and could offer no explanation as to why it did not.

It's definitely obvious to some people that the coffee was served hot enough to scald to such a significant extent, but not to everyone. It probably wasn't obvious to the 79 year-old person who scalded herself.

I'm not sure you can call it a frivolous lawsuit if the judgement goes for the plaintiff.
I really don’t care why or if I am warned about the possibility of coffee being scalding hot, a reasonable person would know this and a 79 year old should certainly have known better. She possibly might not have imagined to the extent it could burn but it would burn regardless of temperature and putting it where she did was ridiculously risky to that possibility.
Apparently a jury did not agree, that is the problem, it’s up to a jury to decide and if it gets to that point, you’re in the hands of humans with emotions and feelings, and may not fully see that it was her fault, not 20% her fault, completely!
What temperature do you like your coffee at?

Who do I sue if I’m at home and burn my self because I’m an idiot?

https://coffeechronicler.com/what-is-th ... ng-coffee/

“What temperature should you brew coffee at? Your brewer ought to keep up a water temperature between 195 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit for ideal extraction. Colder water will bring about level, under-extracted coffee, while water that is too hot will likewise cause lost quality in the flavor of the coffee”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes-per ... 18a3376bac

Temperature Consistency

Per the SCA, optimal coffee extraction occurs when the temperature of the water is between 185 and 205 degrees Fahrenheit. Cotter agreed: “A brewer with a good, consistent heating element will properly heat the water throughout the brewing process to around 200 degrees Fahrenheit, then hold it there throughout the brew.” He adds that “many cheap brewers just boil the water and then dump it on the grounds,” which “scorches the grounds and leads to a burnt, bitter taste.” Using a simple ThermaPen probe thermometer, I measured the center of the filter bed while the coffee was brewing, as well as the temperature of the coffee when the liquid reached the carafe

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

cdnavater wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:24 ama 79 year old should certainly have known better
79 year olds have been known to lose some mental acuity. Of course, a good lawyer can restore same quickly if needed.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

cdnavater wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:24 am
photofly wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:31 am
albertdesalvo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:27 am How do you know that, if the settlement was not disclosed? :rolleyes: This thread has definitely jumped the shark.

I really don’t care why or if I am warned about the possibility of coffee being scalding hot, a reasonable person would know this and a 79 year old should certainly have known better. She possibly might not have imagined to the extent it could burn but it would burn regardless of temperature and putting it where she did was ridiculously risky to that possibility.
Apparently a jury did not agree, that is the problem, it’s up to a jury to decide and if it gets to that point, you’re in the hands of humans with emotions and feelings, and may not fully see that it was her fault, not 20% her fault, completely!
What temperature do you like your coffee at?

Who do I sue if I’m at home and burn my self because I’m an idiot?

https://coffeechronicler.com/what-is-th ... ng-coffee/

“What temperature should you brew coffee at? Your brewer ought to keep up a water temperature between 195 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit for ideal extraction. Colder water will bring about level, under-extracted coffee, while water that is too hot will likewise cause lost quality in the flavor of the coffee”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes-per ... 18a3376bac

Temperature Consistency

Per the SCA, optimal coffee extraction occurs when the temperature of the water is between 185 and 205 degrees Fahrenheit. Cotter agreed: “A brewer with a good, consistent heating element will properly heat the water throughout the brewing process to around 200 degrees Fahrenheit, then hold it there throughout the brew.” He adds that “many cheap brewers just boil the water and then dump it on the grounds,” which “scorches the grounds and leads to a burnt, bitter taste.” Using a simple ThermaPen probe thermometer, I measured the center of the filter bed while the coffee was brewing, as well as the temperature of the coffee when the liquid reached the carafe
One could argue that the temperature during the brewing process is irrelevant to the temperature you're serving the coffee at.

What's the point of serving someone coffee that would burn your mouth if you attempt to drink it?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

digits_ wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:21 pm What's the point of serving someone coffee that would burn your mouth if you attempt to drink it?
You can add some cold milk without it cooling too much.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

photofly wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:24 pm
digits_ wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:21 pm What's the point of serving someone coffee that would burn your mouth if you attempt to drink it?
You can add some cold milk without it cooling too much.
Yep, if your coffee was 120 and you add some milk, it’ll barely be lukewarm.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

photofly wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:24 pm You can add some cold milk without it cooling too much.
And then it's not coffee any more, it's become undrinkable slop.

Cough Syrup
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cough Syrup »

Anyone tried the new Chicken Big Mac yet? Looks pretty good

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Cough Syrup wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:14 pm Anyone tried the new Chicken Big Mac yet? Looks pretty good
No, but I will be this week, very excited!
But if I burn my mouth because it’s too hot, I’m getting a lawyer!

Has anyone heard about an AA crew not cooperating with the ntsb, something about a runway incursion and not wanting to be recorded. Probably trying to avoid anything that could land them in civil court, very smart but at the same time against the code of ethics we all agreed to when we joined the professional pilot club, amateurs not allowed.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”