Is Mr Jones Lying to everyone?

Discuss topics related to Flair Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ziggy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Is Mr Jones Lying to everyone?

Post by ziggy »

---------- ADS -----------

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Is Mr Jones Lying to everyone?

Post by flyinhigh »

Just trying to control the narrative.

If he gets pushed harder about this he could find himself in some serious doodoo. The fact airborne released their first statement after this just throws more mud on Flair and the BS they have been spewing.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

And you would know this, how?

No one sues anyone for $50 million frivolously. Especially if they sit on a financial precipice.
But then, you’d know that. Or, you should.
Right?
The illusion that Flair somehow is the only lessee to submit late lease payments isn’t a “thing” in the airline industry. It’s more common than you realize.

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

https://josimarfootball.com/2023/07/03/ ... l-mystery/

It’s a long read, but it touches a lot of the 777 history and Flair in how it fits.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Flair created a renevue generating customer in Flair and is monopolizing the profit top to bottom. Pretty simple, normal, and legal.

WJ200
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WJ200 »

DanWEC wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:21 pm Flair created a renevue generating customer in Flair and is monopolizing the profit top to bottom. Pretty simple, normal, and legal.
No this whole venture is shady AF

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Yes let's rehash a story from March and talk about it again.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

co-joe wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:58 pm Yes let's rehash a story from March and talk about it again.
The 777 partners football club article is not from March

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

co-joe wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:58 pm Yes let's rehash a story from March and talk about it again.
It’s not just a “Story”. It’s a well known fact that 777 partners is nothing but a bunch of crooks. I hope flair can find a way to get out of their agreement with them.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

WJ200 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:35 pm
DanWEC wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:21 pm Flair created a renevue generating customer in Flair and is monopolizing the profit top to bottom. Pretty simple, normal, and legal.
There are a lot of inaccuracies and speculation in that story from Flair's perspective. We didn't buy any aircraft from 777, most are leased at market rates from 3rd parties.

If 777 managed to profit by buying Max's in the middle of a grounding during covid at discount prices, then reselling to leasing companies at a 10M /tail profit, then that's a shrewd business move. That has nothing to do with flair or their lease rates, however.

Aviator12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aviator12 »

https://onemileatatime.com/news/777-par ... vestments/
This whole deal has always seemed pretty shady to me. Trouble is brewing…

вести70
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by вести70 »

tbaylx wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:58 am
WJ200 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:35 pm
There are a lot of inaccuracies and speculation in that story from Flair's perspective. We didn't buy any aircraft from 777, most are leased at market rates from 3rd parties.

If 777 managed to profit by buying Max's in the middle of a grounding during covid at discount prices, then reselling to leasing companies at a 10M /tail profit, then that's a shrewd business move. That has nothing to do with flair or their lease rates, however.

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2022-63

[72] Subsequent to filing its response on May 3, 2022, Flair informed the Agency that it has agreed to purchase one Boeing MAX 8 aircraft from 777. Flair has also been assigned the direct purchase rights previously held by 777 to acquire from Boeing five new MAX 8 aircraft. Flair has agreed to a sale and leaseback finance arrangement with independent aircraft lessors to fund the direct lease of the existing aircraft that is being acquired from 777 and for four of the new aircraft to be acquired from Boeing. These leases are not subject to any guarantee or financial assistance from 777. The first of these aircraft is to be delivered in June 2022. Flair has filed with the Agency term sheets reflecting these arrangements.

Maybe that's what they referred to? Seems like there was a plan to buy an aircraft ...Thats direct from CTA, but who knows the exact detail of whats happened since.

Last edited by вести70 on Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Aviator12 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:00 pm https://onemileatatime.com/news/777-par ... vestments/
This whole deal has always seemed pretty shady to me. Trouble is brewing…
Jesus :shock:

the_new_guy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by the_new_guy »

I'll give you that the past of some of 777 partners is.. Less than desirable as reported in some articles if true. However I haven't personally verified this info myself so I can't speak to it.

What I can say is that Flair doesn't buy its aircraft, so right there the onemileatatime article is not reporting facts. It also loves to use "reportedly" a lot, and is short on sources that can prove most of the article true.

It looks like an aviation themed sensationalist click bait. Half of it revolves around the airlines buying at a premium the planes from 777, which is just not the case. Some of it could be based in facts, but to what degree is it presented to faithfully paint a picture of reality? When most of it is false I doubt that what is true is depicted in a manner that really speaks to the truth.

Anyway, just saying.. Don't take all of it at face value. I know I don't when I'm told by managers "we're going to be there in 2 years" and "that's how many planes we're going to have in 3 years". Could be true, could not be, but I don't either read a shit article and think of it as factual. What's true and what's not, we'll know in time.

Cheers, and fly safe

CFM Symphony
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CFM Symphony »

the_new_guy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:04 pm I'll give you that the past of some of 777 partners is.. Less than desirable as reported in some articles if true. However I haven't personally verified this info myself so I can't speak to it.

What I can say is that Flair doesn't buy its aircraft, so right there the onemileatatime article is not reporting facts. It also loves to use "reportedly" a lot, and is short on sources that can prove most of the article true.

It looks like an aviation themed sensationalist click bait. Half of it revolves around the airlines buying at a premium the planes from 777, which is just not the case. Some of it could be based in facts, but to what degree is it presented to faithfully paint a picture of reality? When most of it is false I doubt that what is true is depicted in a manner that really speaks to the truth.

Anyway, just saying.. Don't take all of it at face value. I know I don't when I'm told by managers "we're going to be there in 2 years" and "that's how many planes we're going to have in 3 years". Could be true, could not be, but I don't either read a shit article and think of it as factual. What's true and what's not, we'll know in time.

Cheers, and fly safe
While I agree that the article is poorly written, with multiple spelling errors etc., and while I also value a critical viewpoint, there are likely more than mere kernels of truth in this publication. As for the aircraft ownership issue, Flair does indeed appear to purchase the aircraft from 777 Partners (at the allegedly inflated price) and immediately does a sale-and-leaseback deal with a lessor to continue using said aircraft. But, they are unlikely to be able to use the same purchase value in this deal, so this is where they are on the hook.

SPR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SPR »

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/flair-ceo-s ... -1.1962119
Moreover, Flair must continue to make payments of more than US$7 million per month on its 21 Boeing 737 plane leases and manage loans amounting to between US$200 million and US$300 million, Jones said.

“We do pay expensive debt," he said, citing rates of 18 per cent on loans from 777 Partners, the Miami-based company that owns one-quarter of the airline.

“No one else was standing there willing, during COVID and during high oil prices, to say, ‘You know what, we believe in the vision of a low-cost carrier in Canada, here's some 17 per cent money.’

“The balance sheet is not in great shape," Jones added, but noted the interest is "non-cash" — no monthly payments required — and merely adds to the principal. "At some point there will be some form of reckoning, whether it's a restructure or whatever."
"At some point there will be some form of reckoning, whether it's a restructure or whatever."
That's from the CEO.

JoeShmoe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JoeShmoe »

Haha I just read that article as well,

"The balance sheet is not in great shape."

Did this guy get drunk before this interview?? What a wild article, and such weird timing after a month of 90% load factors and the end of swoop you would think Flair would be bragging about a light at the end of the tunnel. I hope they make it but what is the purpose of telling the media how high the interest is on your massive debt??

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

JoeShmoe wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:04 pm Haha I just read that article as well,

Did this guy get drunk before this interview?? What a wild article, and such weird timing after a month of 90% load factors and the end of swoop you would think Flair would be bragging about a light at the end of the tunnel. I hope they make it but what is the purpose of telling the media how high the interest is on your massive debt??
High load factors are only part of the equation. JetsGo had excellent load factors selling $1 tickets.

Tavpi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tavpi »

and to add
"At some point there will be some form of reckoning, whether it's a restructure or whatever."
. I assume restructure as bankruptcy protection?

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Tavpi wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:55 pm

and to add
. I assume restructure as bankruptcy protection?
Yes, that’s CEO language for don’t panic but we are approaching bankruptcy.

Return to “Flair Airlines”