Convert Canadian ATPL to FAA

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

newlyexpat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Convert Canadian ATPL to FAA

Post by newlyexpat »

I am not one of the newbie’s, been here over 24+ years and am closer to the upper end :D of the pay scale.
I am now counting down to early retirement.
Congrats amigo! Well deserved :prayer:
---------- ADS -----------

Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Aspiredtofly »

Yo I feel like moving over there too now. Is it recommended or required to get some fixed wing time after flt training before moving to the US for conversion in the hopes of getting a FO or CA position at any regional immediately after ATP/CTP courses. Could you maybe mention specific hour requirements for AA, UA and DAL regional partners that has flow?

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

newlyexpat wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:17 pm

Note these were the top pay, realistic pay for average pilot for the positions were about 50k-60k less

SIC any aircraft $178,460
PIC Phenom. $313,374
PIC Praetor/Challenger $390,851
PIC Gulfstream / Global. $427,744

If you want to work you can make some good money in the USA.
If you want to work less you can still have a comfortable life.
Thats what I'm talking about!

If you're a sr captain at Fedex/UPS accepting over time/working the Anchorage sched its not unrealistic to hit near 1 million USD/year.

By the way, good for you dude! 160K USD for FO is not bad for early 20's
When I was in my 20's I was making about 19K CDN working the ramp in Northern Manitoba, eating mac and cheese and an occasional beer at the TI! How the times have changed!

Well worth to try for a USA Visa/work permit. I worked my ass off for conversion/sponsorship. certainly not impossible ... especially with relevant jet time and experience..
I agree 100%

Furthermore, I believe immigrating to the US is obtainable for most professional pilots in Canada one way or another. The problem is, it often involves sacrifice up front. Most people I see here and speak with, just want an easy path or worse, have it handed to them.

Personally I had to wait 18 months without employment, then pay all the all the fees. It cost me close to $200k to immigrate. 1 step backwards, many forward.

I now know about half a dozen Canadian Pilots in Florida. All had a different way of getting here, all made sacrifices, and none of them knew it would be for sure when they undertook this task.

ZacharyA220
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ZacharyA220 »

Has anyone got a sponsor to do the ATP-CTP since the last post? I'm soon going to finish my CPL very soon with an Avionic degree and was wondering if I should get my CPL conversion as soon as I finish my CPL here in Montreal. Since my goal is to work in the US for my career.

Thanks! :D

Return to “General Comments”