Trainee Pay

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Lukeysboat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Trainee Pay

Post by Lukeysboat »

I recently got an offer for an IFR training position, and I was wondering how accurate the ~$49,000 salary that’s on the website is. I’d be taking a pretty large pay cut if I accept (I made 120k last year) and not sure how easy it would be to support my mortgage, family, etc.. can trainees work paid overtime or are they entitled to the ATC premiums? I can work at my current job on a weekend or call-in basis for as long as I want.. has anyone ever worked while completing training?
---------- ADS -----------

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Trainee Pay

Post by kevenv »

Lukeysboat wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:33 pm I recently got an offer for an IFR training position, and I was wondering how accurate the ~$49,000 salary that’s on the website is. I’d be taking a pretty large pay cut if I accept (I made 120k last year) and not sure how easy it would be to support my mortgage, family, etc.. can trainees work paid overtime or are they entitled to the ATC premiums? I can work at my current job on a weekend or call-in basis for as long as I want.. has anyone ever worked while completing training?
Trainees get zero overtime. I believe you will get the shift and weekend premiums under OJTI (after the required courses). You will not be paid the Facility premium until you qualify. Working while training? Not unheard of but I can't imagine it is easy, family or not.

bb9999
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bb9999 »

Yes its 49k for the entirety of your training. For IFR that could be close to 2-2.5 years.

Sure you could work part time on weekends but it wouldn't really make your training easier and considering the fact that if you get CT'd you don't get anything it may not really be worth the risk. Have heard stories of people trying to just do an hour or two of ubereats/doordash after training and quickly realizing its not going to work out. I'm sure it entirely depends on the person though.

I'm taking a paycut too for training but for VFR and just going to live off savings for the next 2 years.

Don't have a family or mortgage luckily.

Lukeysboat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lukeysboat »

My partner makes pretty good money as well, so I guess there's just gonna have to be a few lifestyle changes while I'm in training. Maybe there will be an increase to training salaries in the new CA. Hopefully in a few years it'll all be worth it.

atcguy98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcguy98 »

kevenv wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:14 pm
Lukeysboat wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:33 pm I recently got an offer for an IFR training position, and I was wondering how accurate the ~$49,000 salary that’s on the website is. I’d be taking a pretty large pay cut if I accept (I made 120k last year) and not sure how easy it would be to support my mortgage, family, etc.. can trainees work paid overtime or are they entitled to the ATC premiums? I can work at my current job on a weekend or call-in basis for as long as I want.. has anyone ever worked while completing training?
Trainees get zero overtime. I believe you will get the shift and weekend premiums under OJTI (after the required courses). You will not be paid the Facility premium until you qualify. Working while training? Not unheard of but I can't imagine it is easy, family or not.
Do you know when trainees receive benefits like dental? I've heard it's after you pass the generic course so ~6 months after starting, but I was hoping I can have this confirmed. Also, do you know if facility premiums are a 1 time payment each year like a bonus, or if it's split equally across each paycheque for the year? Thanks

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

atcguy98 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:42 am Do you know when trainees receive benefits like dental? I've heard it's after you pass the generic course so ~6 months after starting, but I was hoping I can have this confirmed. Also, do you know if facility premiums are a 1 time payment each year like a bonus, or if it's split equally across each paycheque for the year? Thanks
The OFP is divide by 26 and paid on each pay day. No idea on the health and dental.

shortbreads
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shortbreads »

Health benefits start after graduating generic (I can't remember but you may need to wait until the beginning of the next month), dental starts three months after graduating generic. Hope that helps.

atcguy98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcguy98 »

shortbreads wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:19 am Health benefits start after graduating generic (I can't remember but you may need to wait until the beginning of the next month), dental starts three months after graduating generic. Hope that helps.
That's great info, thank you

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”