Bumping passengers for crew

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Stefmaa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Bumping passengers for crew

Post by Stefmaa »

Hi, im new here, i created a profile so i could ask this specific question, i have read a previous thread that is now locked from iflygirl92, a member @crewbunk had requested flight info so he could check what happened with her situation. i want to reach out to him to give my flight info. i was on a flight where two passengers were irate over being bumped at the gate from their business class seat. i know one of the seats was given to an employee and the other the pilots gf/wife. i was seated next to the gf/wife and she told me her bf/husband was deadheading.
both the employee and gf said that it is in their contract to have that seat.
i am curious to know/understand more. as stated in the other thread “the optics don’t look good”
for the record, i do not blame employees for this “bad look”
if anyone could shed some light that would be much appreciated
flight info: ac 760 sfo -> yul
thank you.
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Bumping passengers for crew

Post by co-joe »

You sort of have to look at it from the eyes of the operation. 2 guys were inconvenienced, but if that pilot was the missing crew member that allowed a whole plane load of people not to be inconvenienced at destination then the needs of the many vs the needs of the two...How the wife falls into it? No idea. "Yeah I'll do that flight if you get me AND my wife to destination", otherwise you can cancel that flight...maybe.

No airline tries to inconvenience passengers, but the whole operation is a living breathing organism that has to keep moving to function.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

AC760 on what date?

The GF/wife was clearly pulling your leg or you are misunderstanding the situation. There is no way that they bumped a J passenger.

I was recently traveling with my wife on my flight and even with seats open in J, I couldn't get her an upgrade let alone bump someone.

skyhighh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by skyhighh »

The only time a J class passenger will be bumped is for a deadheading crew member. It should not be happening as these seats should have been reserved by operation. Unfortunately, Air Canada being…well…Air Canada… has been failing at planning properly and had some issues lately forcing them to bump passengers for crew out of J. It doesn’t look good and should not be happening. I think we can all agree on this.

That being said, no paying passenger will be bumped out of a J class seat (or any seat for that matter) for a standby traveller. Doesn’t matter if he/she is the SO of a crew member. If that actually truly happened I suggest contacting the airline as it is against normal procedures.

Return to “General Comments”