ATPL application. Saron/Samra over 2 years ago but a q400 rating

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Ben_Pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

ATPL application. Saron/Samra over 2 years ago but a q400 rating

Post by Ben_Pilot »

Hello.

I've applied for my ATPL. I wrote the saron & samra exams in 2018/2019. I applied for the ATPL a few weeks ago however I wrote the saron & samra exams over 2 years ago in order to get the q400 type rating and I've been flying Q400's actively since. Just confirming that my saron & samra exams are "locked in for life" and that they don't need to be re-written just to get the ATPL licence processed. I've been told that I have a "frozen ATPL" and that if a pilot writes the saron & samra to get a PPC on a 2 crew airplane, then the saron & samra are "locked in" and that a pilot does NOT have to rewrite them just for the ATPL application process.

It wouldn't make any sense if someone had to rewrite the saron & samra again just for the issuance of the ATPL.

Is this correct?

Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: ATPL application. Saron/Samra over 2 years ago but a q400 rating

Post by porcsord »

Unless things have changed (recently), you should be good to go as long as you received a 2-crew type rating within 2 years of writing your saron and samra.

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: ATPL application. Saron/Samra over 2 years ago but a q400 rating

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

No, you don't have to re-write them.
CAR 400.03 wrote: Time Limits

400.03 (1) Subject to subsection (3), written examinations, including all sections of a sectionalized examination, that are required for the issuance of a permit or licence or for the endorsement of a permit or licence with a rating shall be completed during the 24-month period preceding the date of the application for the permit, licence or rating.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of examinations that are required for the issuance of
(a) a student pilot permit; or
(b) an airline transport pilot licence if examinations were previously written
(i) for the endorsement of a type rating, a mark of 70 per cent or higher was obtained on the examination and the type rating was issued;
(ii) for the issuance of the former senior commercial pilot licence, a mark of 70 per cent or higher was obtained on the examination and the senior commercial pilot licence was issued; or
(iii) for the issuance of an airline transport pilot licence — aeroplane, an airline transport pilot licence — aeroplane integrated course was successfully completed during the 5-year period preceding the date of the application for the licence and a course completion certificate was issued.

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.

Return to “Flight Training”