Backpain

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

currysonic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Backpain

Post by currysonic »

Hi all,

I cant tell if it’s me getting old or the new plane (737) but I’ve been getting increasingly bad back pain (left lower lumbar muscle).

I’m seeing and doing physiotherapy… but in the meanwhile does anyone have suggestions for compact back braces or pillows for flight?

Massively appreciated! Backpain sucks
---------- ADS -----------

kilocharliemike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Backpain

Post by kilocharliemike »

Pick up a lacrosse ball and put it under your glutes and hamstrings while flying. I don’t have back pain but am always tight from running and the gym. Back pain from sitting isn’t always about the back!

KCM

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Anything in your back pockets? Even a piece of paper can cause issues if you sit on it long enough.

Did the change if plane come with a change if seat? If you're used to sitting in the left seat, then moving to the right might have changed your posture a bit.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

" Increasingly Bad Back pain"

Sure, likely muscular in origin, however, I would only say that if you had this looked at by a clinician and everything else is fine.
You may be in that age group when it is a good idea to rule out an underlying problem underneath those muscles and whatever else is farther in, inside the rear abdominal cavity, like colon, kidneys etc, that can also present as increasing back pain. Better to see a doctor sooner rather than later and go from there.

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

The 737 has notoriously bad seats. There are various adjustments you can get out of the seat but the padding is firm foam and the sheepskin doesn't do much for comfort. When I first started flying the 37 a couple years ago I had back problems too. Especially the lower back and migrating to the mid back deep muscles.

Personally, this is how I set up my seat;
- seat far enough forward to slightly look down the glare shield so that it's flush to the nose
- pedals far enough aft to have full rudder travel and braking authority as required
- seat reclined slightly until you can block out "N1 SET" and "SPD REF" on the center panel by the MCP panel
- I don't utilize the thigh adjustment so i wind them all the way down
- head rest just enough to prop your head up so as to not have any strain on your neck
- Arm rests! adjust them slightly higher so your shoulders can rest with proper posture
- I also don't utilize the lumbar adjustments for I found that they had a worse effect on my back. I experimented with the positions for weeks and I found that if I just wound them all the way down and to zero, my back felt better after pairings. Also, the more lumbar you add, the less seat bottom you get. The seats are freakin small already.

The most important thing and I cannot stress this enough. Get up, walk around and stretch! Go to the lav even if you don't have to, go socialize in the galley or just stand up straight in the galley. To each their own on how you set up your seat but you need to be comfortable in there.

donnybrook
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by donnybrook »

I know you are fixed wing but some helicopters have debilitatingly bad seats. There are a number of medium pilots who swear by Roho wheelchair seat cushions. They support you but don’t lock you into one position. They are pricey though….

Marie143
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Marie143 »

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing back pain during flights. It's essential to take steps to manage your pain and prevent it from worsening.
A back brace can provide support and help reduce the strain on your lower back muscles. When selecting a back brace, consider one that's lightweight, breathable, and has adjustable straps for a comfortable fit. Some popular brands for compact back braces are Mueller Lumbar Support Back Brace and AidBrace Back Brace.waterproofing company
Additionally, using a travel pillow can help reduce the strain on your neck and back during a long flight. There are many types of travel pillows available, including neck pillows, lumbar pillows, and full-body pillows. Look for one that provides adequate support to your lower back and can be easily carried in your carry-on luggage. Some popular options for travel pillows are Trtl Neck Pillow, Therm-a-Rest Lumbar Pillow, and Everlasting Comfort Memory Foam Pillow.
Remember to also take frequent breaks during the flight and perform stretching exercises to reduce stiffness and improve blood flow. I hope these suggestions help you manage your back pain during flights.

DHC2eater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DHC2eater »

Better report that to your CAME……..He’ll forward that to TC and they’ll help you by suspending your ATP.

BE CAREFUL WITH THAT!

Eater

currysonic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by currysonic »

bring me the horizon wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:27 pm The 737 has notoriously bad seats. There are various adjustments you can get out of the seat but the padding is firm foam and the sheepskin doesn't do much for comfort. When I first started flying the 37 a couple years ago I had back problems too. Especially the lower back and migrating to the mid back deep muscles.

Personally, this is how I set up my seat;
- seat far enough forward to slightly look down the glare shield so that it's flush to the nose
- pedals far enough aft to have full rudder travel and braking authority as required
- seat reclined slightly until you can block out "N1 SET" and "SPD REF" on the center panel by the MCP panel
- I don't utilize the thigh adjustment so i wind them all the way down
- head rest just enough to prop your head up so as to not have any strain on your neck
- Arm rests! adjust them slightly higher so your shoulders can rest with proper posture
- I also don't utilize the lumbar adjustments for I found that they had a worse effect on my back. I experimented with the positions for weeks and I found that if I just wound them all the way down and to zero, my back felt better after pairings. Also, the more lumbar you add, the less seat bottom you get. The seats are freakin small already.

The most important thing and I cannot stress this enough. Get up, walk around and stretch! Go to the lav even if you don't have to, go socialize in the galley or just stand up straight in the galley. To each their own on how you set up your seat but you need to be comfortable in there.
I tried all the bullet points here and I have to say it's made a big (and free money wise) difference! Especially all the way down on the lumbar support. I cannot thank you enough!

I've also got continued my physiotherapy exercises to help stretch my lower back, as well as got a coach to help me realize I was doing deadlifts with poor form. All these added together have almost 90% eliminated my back pain. Happy to report most times I don't even notice it anymore.

dh89
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dh89 »

I also just switched to the 737 and noticedback pai starting. I do not use the lumbar support and it helped. Also my physio gave me a tip to keep the arm rests up and it will unconciously force you to sit i the centre and not lean to one side (I also have neck pain) which has really helped.
But yes the 737 has terrible seating.

fliter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fliter »

I am glad to hear that OP's pain is almost gone. For the benefit of anyone who might stumble upon this, here are a couple of things that really helped me with muscular issues:

- Muscle Activation Technique. There are two highest-level certified practitioners in Toronto in a place called Core Muscle Activation. Sadly, it is not covered by insurance, and it sounds like a bunch of woo woo with no hard scientific evidence behind it, but I was desperate to try anything, and anecdotally it did wonders.

- GMB Animal Movement program. Online, somewhat pricey, but I noticed a lot of difference right away.

- Finding a GOOD physiotherapist. Feel free to PM for a Toronto-area recommendation.

I am not associated with any of the above-mentioned outfits, it's just a personal recommendation because I know how frustrating muscular problems can be. Here is an incomplete list of things that did NOT help in the slightest before I stumbled upon the above-mentioned stuff: athletic therapy, physiotherapy, osteopathy, chiropractors, yoga, stretching, acupuncture, massage.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

I saw a United guy at YYZ carrying a seat cushion on his flight bag. I also use one (on the E175), because those seats are also pretty crap, especially on a longer flight, like YUL-IAH. I don't know if this will help with back pain. My issue is that my @$$ gets sore (giggitty) after a few hours.

Easycrashpad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Easycrashpad »

I also always had back pain. It reduced a lot since I did lots of abs and exercices. As soon as I stop exercising, it is coming back. getting old...

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Easycrashpad wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:29 pm I also always had back pain. It reduced a lot since I did lots of abs and exercices. As soon as I stop exercising, it is coming back. getting old...
Have you played around with the lumbar support?

It sounds trivial until it works! (At least in my case)

TPC

Return to “Health & Fitness”