Recruiting Video

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Recruiting Video

Post by Mostly Harmless »

Cloak won't answer questions because if he did, he might have to examine his position a little more deeply and that might lead him to question his belief system. He'll never address the question we all have for him; How do you have a relationship with a partner that doesn't want a relationship with you? It's all just rhetoric at this point.

WJ had an incentive based pay structure. Stocks (with capital gains), stock options (with capital gains), profit share and overtime for all. I say Had because all the incentives have been removed. There are no stocks and with that no stock options, so the capital gains are gone. There is no profit to share and never will be again as they are playing accounting games to redistribute the numbers within the Onex group. And as we shrink our way to greatness, cancel flights, use reserve, etc, the overtime is drawing to a close... and admittedly, people are tired after having their assets sweated for the better part of a decade now. The company has done a great job of insidiously chipping away at compensation. However, the bill has come due.

This is your airline:

This is your airline on strike:
---------- ADS -----------

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Those at WestJet already know that the original compensation model, which was very creative and very impressive, no longer works as completely as before the buy-out and needs to be improved. That's not in question. What's in question is the benefit of this video made by MEC, if any, towards that goal. Seemingly it didn't help negotiations (surprising that ALPA endorsed it) and high emotions here are indicative that it too was driven by emotions which are not helpful in negotiations. Time will tell.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

cloak wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:37 am Those at WestJet already know that the original compensation model, which was very creative and very impressive, no longer works as completely as before the buy-out and needs to be improved. That's not in question. What's in question is the benefit of this video made by MEC, if any, towards that goal. Seemingly it didn't help negotiations (surprising that ALPA endorsed it) and high emotions here are indicative that it too was driven by emotions which are not helpful in negotiations. Time will tell.
It didn't help? Remember when I said that you are out of touch?

At the bare minimum the video told the pilots that they are not alone in their feelings. It showed the pilot group that the union understands what they are experiencing and are actively working on fixing it.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

I never claimed to have the pulse of the entire pilot group, many others seem to do that! The majority is not always right though, remember that!

sarg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by sarg »

cloak wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:21 am I never claimed to have the pulse of the entire pilot group, many others seem to do that! The majority is not always right though, remember that!
The majority might not make the best choice, but you do seem to have a desire that favours the management side.

You've made many arguments on the cost and revenue at WestJet and how the company can't afford to pay the pilots more. Air Transat's pay for the 321 is 16-26% higher than the current WestJet rate, they also don't have the revenue advantage (business class) that AC does, which was 1 of you arguments on way WJ couldn't pay more, yet they found a way give raises.

If the company can afford millions to attract executives at global rates they can find the money to pay pilots at a North American rate, maybe doing with 1 less EVP.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

cloak wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:21 am I never claimed to have the pulse of the entire pilot group, many others seem to do that! The majority is not always right though, remember that!
"Everybody is wrong but me."

Either that means that you are Galileo or that you are the fringe.

Galileo was imprisoned for his beliefs.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

sarg wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:26 am
The majority might not make the best choice, but you do seem to have a desire that favours the management side.

You've made many arguments on the cost and revenue at WestJet and how the company can't afford to pay the pilots more. Air Transat's pay for the 321 is 16-26% higher than the current WestJet rate, they also don't have the revenue advantage (business class) that AC does, which was 1 of you arguments on way WJ couldn't pay more, yet they found a way give raises.

If the company can afford millions to attract executives at global rates they can find the money to pay pilots at a North American rate, maybe doing with 1 less EVP.
I try to be pragmatic. I believe there is some consolidation in management. And remember Transat is hardly the paradigm of longevity to follow. They have firmly placed themselves out of the market in which they operate. Fortunately for them, the 321 neo is very efficient and have the Quebec factor, without which as a standalone airline, Transat would have been bankrupt long ago. It's much like Canadian, good product with woefully bad economics. In contrast WestJet has always been very disciplined in dropping unprofitable routes and ventures. And, indeed WestJet does not currently have the revenue stream to offer AC wages, but it can be creative again. This is where good negotiations can bear fruits, not public forums!

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

cloak wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:06 pm
sarg wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:26 am

I try to be pragmatic. I believe there is some consolidation in management. And remember Transat is hardly the paradigm of longevity to follow. They have firmly placed themselves out of the market in which they operate. Fortunately for them, the 321 neo is very efficient and have the Quebec factor, without which as a standalone airline, Transat would have been bankrupt long ago. It's much like Canadian, good product with woefully bad economics. In contrast WestJet has always been very disciplined in dropping unprofitable routes and ventures. And, indeed WestJet does not currently have the revenue stream to offer AC wages, but it can be creative again. This is where good negotiations can bear fruits, not public forums!
100% agreed with you there! They will be paying significantly more than current AC wages to keep WJ running under a new CA.
AC will no doubt leapfrog us in their next CA but that’s neither here nor there right now.

Last Flight Out
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Last Flight Out »

First time seeing the video. GREAT !!!! Well done …
Pretty much any Pilot group in Canada could use it !!
Good luck with your upcoming negotiations, raising the bar anywhere is good for everyone in the business.
Stay strong and united. Cheers

Red1
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Red1 »

The reality is that pilot costs are a very small percentage of overall operating cost, and will never make or break an airline regardless of how much management might claim otherwise. However, bad management decisions, continually fighting with your employees, and neglecting the customer will bankrupt your company faster than you blink.

The force will be with you, always

Return to “WestJet”