Reserve in YOW with YUL base

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tupues
Rank 1
Rank 1

Reserve in YOW with YUL base

Post by tupues »

Hi all,

I was just trying to get some information on the way reserve normally works on this side of the ocean. In Europe you normally have your set roster with the odd week of reserve integrated. Most of the time you get called for a trip or have your roster changed way in advance.

How does this work here? Do most reserves change to a duty way in advance or do you generally sit on location actually waiting for something to happen. Do you have open flights that you can bid for to fill your reserve in advance?

This brings me to the next question:
As per my information reserve call out is 2hrs at AC. Given that the drive from YOW to YUL is about 2 hrs you could theoretically have this as a backup in case they call you last minute. Do people do this, sit reserve in YOW with YUL base?

Just trying to figure what the first couple of years would be like...

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Reserve in YOW with YUL base

Post by Rooster69 »

Do people do this, sit reserve in YOW with YUL base?

Yes.

On reserve, you have to be there 2 hours after they call you. That would equates to being airborne 3h and 15 min. after they call you. Doable bombing along the 417. Some pilots live farther away. They have their bags packed, car gassed and uniform ready for a call.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Reserve in YOW with YUL base

Post by NotDirty! »

How much notice you get on reserve probably varies a lot depending on fleet and base… but in my experience, I have had very few minimum notice call outs. The goal is to have all open time pairings assigned 36+ hours in advance. There will always be some last minute calls to cover sick book offs, IROPS, etc., but I would estimate 90% of my reserve calls over the last year have had more than 12 hours of notice.

Return to “Air Canada”