ALPA Petition

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: ALPA Petition

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Bede wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:34 am
TFTMB heavy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:08 am Dues would go to ALPA Canada instead of Washington. Right now we get some back to fund the Canada Board and MECs but most of it stays south to fund all the programs and services. We could potentially have some of our own programs and services and pay ALPA US for the rest. More staff in Canada, more Canadian expertise to serve Canadian pilots.

This is all of the top of my head from what I remember when it was b being discuss. Someone else probably has better or more up to date info.
Most of the dues are used for association flight relief for your MEC/volunteers and for the resources that ALPA offers. For Canadians, most of the expensive resources are Canadian based. The lawyers/labour relations advisors are Canadians (they need to be familiar with Canadian Labour Law). The Economic and Financial Analysis people are based in the US though.
I am quite familiar with all of the departments and where they are and what they do. At least one labour group uses a US based lawyer but that besides the point. What I was getting at is that the 1.85% dues we pay all goes south and then part of it comes back to the Canada board and MECs. If we broke off from the current model we could keep all of the money in Canada and then pay for some services we can't cover ourselves. Once AC is onboard we should have way more leverage to explore it.
---------- ADS -----------

Dash.Trash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash.Trash »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:55 am
TFTMB heavy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:08 am Dues would go to ALPA Canada instead of Washington. Right now we get some back to fund the Canada Board and MECs but most of it stays south to fund all the programs and services. We could potentially have some of our own programs and services and pay ALPA US for the rest. More staff in Canada, more Canadian expertise to serve Canadian pilots.

This is all of the top of my head from what I remember when it was b being discuss. Someone else probably has better or more up to date info.
Most of the dues are used for association flight relief for your MEC/volunteers and for the resources that ALPA offers. For Canadians, most of the expensive resources are Canadian based. The lawyers/labour relations advisors are Canadians (they need to be familiar with Canadian Labour Law). The Economic and Financial Analysis people are based in the US though.
I am quite familiar with all of the departments and where they are and what they do. At least one labour group uses a US based lawyer but that besides the point. What I was getting at is that the 1.85% dues we pay all goes south and then part of it comes back to the Canada board and MECs. If we broke off from the current model we could keep all of the money in Canada and then pay for some services we can't cover ourselves. Once AC is onboard we should have way more leverage to explore it.
Think about how much dues they collect from the massive salaries in the US and how much resources that can buy. Frankly I’d much rather share with their massive pool then try and go about it on our own. Not to mention the solidarity and unity from being all part of a larger group and being able to share information freely.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Dash.Trash wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:22 pm
Think about how much dues they collect from the massive salaries in the US and how much resources that can buy. Frankly I’d much rather share with their massive pool then try and go about it on our own. Not to mention the solidarity and unity from being all part of a larger group and being able to share information freely.
The financiaL aspects need to be studied and a fair deal negotiated if that's the way Canadian companies decide to go. We would not be cut off, simply more independent in our Canadian operation. Without us Canadians in ALPA the is no international to the association and it means a lot to some people south of us. Again, I'm not saying that's the way to go or not, just sharing some things I heard of when I was an elected member.

Dash.Trash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash.Trash »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:49 pm
Dash.Trash wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:22 pm

The financiaL aspects need to be studied and a fair deal negotiated if that's the way Canadian companies decide to go. We would not be cut off, simply more independent in our Canadian operation. Without us Canadians in ALPA the is no international to the association and it means a lot to some people south of us. Again, I'm not saying that's the way to go or not, just sharing some things I heard of when I was an elected member.
I think a fair deal HAS been negotiated and is in front of us right now. In the merger agreement, section 7 Resources and section 8 ACPA Employees commits to increased staffing, Canada-specific government affairs, and an equivalent level of service between Canada and the US. Sounds like a pretty fair deal to me.
- Cognizant of the differences in legal and other structures and the number of carriers and number of pilots represented as between Canada and the United States, ALPA will establish and maintain, on a qualitative basis, a comparable scope and level of professional services and resources to ALPA Canada MECs as provided by ALPA to U.S. MECs. Additional professional staff hired to ensure an equivalent level of services between Canada and U.S., with the exception of centralized administrative or specialized functions, shall be hired in Canada. However, this does not preclude the hiring of staff to perform centralized administrative or specialized functions in Canada.

- ALPA will establish and maintain a proportionally comparable level of funding for Government Affairs activities (including but not limited to outside consultants, pilot training, and legislative activities) in Canada as in the U.S.

Return to “Air Canada”