S endorsement

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

S endorsement

Post by Bede »

For those of you with an AME license (M1 or M2) with an S endorsement, what schooling (beyond your AME college diploma) did you complete to get your S endorsement?

I'll explain why I'm asking in a bit.
---------- ADS -----------

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: S endorsement

Post by SeptRepair »

I got mine 30 odd years ago before the new rules kicked in and managed to challenge the exam at the time. Today there are a couple schools that offer a course that I know of here in BC . Course is about 10 months long and counts towards the 36 month total experience requirement. North Island College on the island, and Okanagan College in Kelowna.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

SeptRepair wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:35 am I got mine 30 odd years ago before the new rules kicked in and managed to challenge the exam at the time. Today there are a couple schools that offer a course that I know of here in BC . Course is about 10 months long and counts towards the 36 month total experience requirement. North Island College on the island, and Okanagan College in Kelowna.
Was this a change in the CARs or a change in interpretation? Do you have a reference for this change (I'm familiar with AWM 566).

The reason I ask is that I'm helping a couple of AMEs. They been AMEs for many years with an S endorsement. They just got a letter from TC revoking their S endorsement because TC felt that it was issued in error years ago.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

I honestly don't know, Its been like this for a while now. How many years have these guys been licensed? I got my license just before the Cars were introduced. Back then it was the B license. When Cars came into effect, I got the S32,S33. Then eventually it became just an S. I'm curious, how long these guys have been licensed, and the details on why transport feels the need to revoke. Any chance these AME's can get their second M license and carry on?

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
groncher
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groncher »

Do these AMEs perhaps hold both an M1 and M2, along with an S? In that case i could see how the S may have been issued in error, as combined M1/M2 already hold S privileges. (566.03 (9) info note).
Interesting to find out how TC could otherwise think they were issued in error.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

North island college program has been shuttered for years now. Last class had 2 applicants……

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

They were licensed in 2017. Their college program included 500 hours of structures training. The also had a lot of structures experience during their apprenticeship. TC reviewed their application and details of their schooling and determined that it met the Training requirements of the S endorsement and issued the endorsement.

Some new inspector came along and decided otherwise and cancelled the endorsement.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

-42 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:11 pm North island college program has been shuttered for years now. Last class had 2 applicants……
You sure about that? Went to their website and its offered. Has a fall program scheduled. I know they had stopped offering it a couple years back, but it looks like they are going again. On a side note though, Coulson Aviation is applying for their own ATO and I'm pretty sure its to offer the S program as well. They have a lot of manufacturing going on, so I'm thinking its to help feed their own work demands. If they get approved, North Island will have hard time competing I'm guessing.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

Bede wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:17 am They were licensed in 2017. Their college program included 500 hours of structures training. The also had a lot of structures experience during their apprenticeship. TC reviewed their application and details of their schooling and determined that it met the Training requirements of the S endorsement and issued the endorsement.

Some new inspector came along and decided otherwise and cancelled the endorsement.
Sounds like some new inspector has an axe to grind. Good luck on fighting this. Hope you succeed.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Bede wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:17 am Some new inspector came along and decided otherwise and cancelled the endorsement.
Given such a decision is made on behalf of the Minister (both the first decision to permit the endorsement and the second to cancel it) - the Minister can't change his mind on a whim. Does this count as cancelling an aviation document? Is there an appeal to the Tribunal? Is the Minister now of the opinion that he made an overriding and palpable error in his previous decision in order to justify reversing himself?

What does that mean about the ongoing validity of any work, supervision or release issued under the authority of those licences that have now been revoked?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Bede wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:17 am They were licensed in 2017. Their college program included 500 hours of structures training. The also had a lot of structures experience during their apprenticeship. TC reviewed their application and details of their schooling and determined that it met the Training requirements of the S endorsement and issued the endorsement.

I’d be lawyering up if I were them. There has to be more to the story if this inspector is gunning for particular licenses I would think

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

SeptRepair wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:41 am

Sounds like some new inspector has an axe to grind. Good luck on fighting this. Hope you succeed.
New Broom syndrome it sounds like, and I he “standards department” will have to align with the cars and aeronautics act to be retroactively sanctioning these guys. I’d definitely be interested to see how this pans out, but yes they should absolutely fight this in civil court.

Found
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Found »

I wonder what happens to all the work they have signed out, sounds like it would not be valid anymore.

Return to “Maintenance”