Westjet mechs unionizing

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Westjet mechs unionizing

Post by -42 »

All I can say is your union representation is a bit underwhelming. Just sayin.
---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Getting back to the original quote, where they said the engineers deserve distinction and respect.

As a pilot, I couldn't agree more. I also empathize with the poster who observed that AMEs are often pressed into service doing rampie and groomer shit. I feel like I have starred in that movie in my career too.

I wish the Westjet Engineers all the best. It's the licensed staff that makes the planes move; not the paper-pushers and hi-viz-clad NPCs.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

Nightshiftzombie wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:38 pm A little over $45/hr at the top. Plus 7-10% ACA premium and a 20% match (held back one year) for RRSP/TFSA or cash.
Interestingly, BC transit is advertising on the radio for licensed truck transport mechanics at $46 and change per hour STARTING WAGE.

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

When do you think this new union could be in a legal strike position? I know it still early stages (very esrly) but just curious if anyone has any clue. WJ could be looking and a non stop revolving door of strikes if they dont get serious about increasing wages and working conditions.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

BMLtech wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:32 pm
Nightshiftzombie wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:38 pm A little over $45/hr at the top. Plus 7-10% ACA premium and a 20% match (held back one year) for RRSP/TFSA or cash.
Interestingly, BC transit is advertising on the radio for licensed truck transport mechanics at $46 and change per hour STARTING WAGE.
That’s low too. Can’t compare Canadas garbage wages to anything else really.

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:51 am
True but what put me right off aviation is the fact that the other trades pay newly licensed techs more to start than AME's make at the very top of the typical pay scales..

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

BMLtech wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:46 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:51 am

True but what put me right off aviation is the fact that the other trades pay newly licensed techs more to start than AME's make at the very top of the typical pay scales..
For the most part that is very true. It’s criminal guys with hundreds of thousands in endorsements and training and years of experience arent even making $50/hour. The average heavy duty with any factory training is making north of $75 with a schedule and incomparable benefits / stipends / pensions etc. Canadian operators don’t value their AME staff and it damn well shows. All they want is wet licenses at dog sh1t rates to certify what they tell them to. It’s pathetic

Return to “Maintenance”