Morningstar 757 schedule/flying

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Morningstar 757 schedule/flying

Post by khedrei »

Chaxterium wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:36 pm Ah you'd be fine. A number of the FOs that were hired in the last 18 months or so had no multi-time at all and they did just fine. They did have some turbine time though so that might be the hard part for you.

I'm sure you'd adapt easily enough but I'm not sure if they'd take someone on with no turbine time. But who knows. Worst that can happen is they don't call you.
Thanks. Thats what i figured. I've got an application in so if you want to put a bug in the ear of the CP... im looking for a place to retire.
---------- ADS -----------

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Probably not the place to retire...

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:24 pm Probably not the place to retire...
Agreed! Understandable for a young fella to think that though. I thought that at least 2-3 times before I got to the place I’m going to retire at.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

YC87DRVR wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:27 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:24 pm Probably not the place to retire...
Agreed! Understandable for a young fella to think that though. I thought that at least 2-3 times before I got to the place I’m going to retire at.
That's fair. I did my time at Morningstar and I think for your typical Canadian airline pilot, it's probably not the place most fellas would hang their hat.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Why not retire at Morningstar, seems to be steady secure boring flying, kinda the thing someone wants when all settled down. I get it night ops are not for everyone but most pilot jobs involve odd hours anyhow.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nohojob »

Invertago wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:12 pm Why not retire at Morningstar, seems to be steady secure boring flying, kinda the thing someone wants when all settled down. I get it night ops are not for everyone but most pilot jobs involve odd hours anyhow.
Why would I want to do boring flying?
I intend to have fun flying till the very last day of my flying career.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

When I started at Morningstar 3.5 years ago I did so with the intention of it being my last move. For the first couple of years I really enjoyed it but in the end the nights got to me and I kept thinking that there was no way I could do this for the next 25 years.

The company is great but when we say the flying is boring we mean the flying is boring. Like stab-yourself-in-the-eye-to-make-sure-you're-still-alive boring.

People are great. The plane is ok. But the nights are tough.

nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nohojob »

Chaxterium wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:22 am When I started at Morningstar 3.5 years ago I did so with the intention of it being my last move. For the first couple of years I really enjoyed it but in the end the nights got to me and I kept thinking that there was no way I could do this for the next 25 years.

The company is great but when we say the flying is boring we mean the flying is boring. Like stab-yourself-in-the-eye-to-make-sure-you're-still-alive boring.

People are great. The plane is ok. But the nights are tough.
Night flying is probably the thoughest flying one could do.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Night flying is tough if you can't stay awake, but if you can adapt your body, night flying in a highly automated aircraft is just IFR when the sky is less busy and the air is less bumpy. At least with Morningstar you know when you're flying at night unlike the medevac guys who just go when the call comes in.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Invertago wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:21 pm Night flying is tough if you can't stay awake, but if you can adapt your body, night flying in a highly automated aircraft is just IFR when the sky is less busy and the air is less bumpy. At least with Morningstar you know when you're flying at night unlike the medevac guys who just go when the call comes in.
In the current market, if it is determined by pilots that Morningstar style flying is less desirable than other flying options, then attrition rates will increase, pilot training costs will increase, and potentially operational integrity may be compromised.

Market forces will push wages up and possibly affect WAWCON (schedule) in order to attract or retain qualified pilots.

Make no mistake, Morningstar seems to be a very solid employment option with the highest starting pay for a jet FO. But the market is in a process of resetting itself. Status quo may not be sufficient, notwithstanding that a CBA is in force.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

rudder wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:01 pm
Invertago wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:21 pm Night flying is tough if you can't stay awake, but if you can adapt your body, night flying in a highly automated aircraft is just IFR when the sky is less busy and the air is less bumpy. At least with Morningstar you know when you're flying at night unlike the medevac guys who just go when the call comes in.
In the current market, if it is determined by pilots that Morningstar style flying is less desirable than other flying options, then attrition rates will increase, pilot training costs will increase, and potentially operational integrity may be compromised.

Market forces will push wages up and possibly affect WAWCON (schedule) in order to attract or retain qualified pilots.

Make no mistake, Morningstar seems to be a very solid employment option with the highest starting pay for a jet FO. But the market is in a process of resetting itself. Status quo may not be sufficient, notwithstanding that a CBA is in force.
My point was it didn't seem that "tough". I won't argue with the market though, there is a max exodus of FO's from Morningstar, so it does seem that pilots in the right seat at MAL don't seem to think it is that desirable and vote with their resumes. MAL did have a great CBA a few years ago, now it is just average. Management will have to decide if training is cheaper than retention at some point. FWIW, some Captains have even left, though that isn't reflected in the ads as they only hire into the right seat it seems.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Invertago wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:21 pm FWIW, some Captains have even left,
One so far. More to come.
Invertago wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:21 pmthough that isn't reflected in the ads as they only hire into the right seat it seems.
Morningstar does not hire direct entry captains. They only hire FOs. I suppose that could change if the captain roster gets depleted heavily but I don't that they're very close to that.

Duukar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duukar »

I would argue that the CBA in effect at MAL is better than most others in the industry aside from AC and maybe Sunwing which has some really neat perks.

$4.25/hr per diem. $150 a month tax free uniform allowance. $40 a month tax free cell phone allowance. $1000 a year hsa. $500 a year health allowance. Decent RRSP match although not fantastic. The obviously strong starting salary for FO a bit lacking in the PIC first year rate.

I’m not sure why they don’t advertise these specifics. FOs start at over $85k per year. I’m not sure if anyone pays more for first year FO.

The training is top notch for sure.

Their attrition, in my opinion, is due to the lack of a schedule bid. It makes commuting impossible and very punishing. Also the nights are rough but not impossible to manage.

If you want to live in YYZ or YHM Morningstar is a pretty strong option as long as you don’t mind having little control over your schedule. At least you rarely work a weekend and never work a holiday.

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

Invertago wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:12 pm Why not retire at Morningstar, seems to be steady secure boring flying, kinda the thing someone wants when all settled down. I get it night ops are not for everyone but most pilot jobs involve odd hours anyhow.
It's a great gig no doubt. But I think you're greatly underestimating the effect of working nights. It's hard on your body and only gets harder the older you are. There are lots of studies that show people who work nights have shorter life expectancy.

I've spoken to a few guys at YYZ who were on the 75 but decided to go back to the Caravan because they couldn't take the toll anymore.

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

thepoors wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:38 am
It's a great gig no doubt. But I think you're greatly underestimating the effect of working nights. It's hard on your body and only gets harder the older you are. There are lots of studies that show people who work nights have shorter life expectancy.

I've spoken to a few guys at YYZ who were on the 75 but decided to go back to the Caravan because they couldn't take the toll anymore.
I worked random on call shifts for 13 years. Probably 70% overnights. Its brutal. I didnt realize how perpetually tired I was until I quit and started getting a normal night sleep. I dont know how well id fair if i went back to it now that I'm older. I absolutely believe that it shortens your life.

Return to “Employment Forum”