Shiveluch Volcano- Airlines latest excuses for flight disruptions.

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Shiveluch Volcano- Airlines latest excuses for flight disruptions.

Post by GhostRider6 »

Airlines are claiming that there’s a volcanic ash issue in YVR up to northern bc. ( Terrace and Prince Rupert)

However, neither airlines serves these airports with jet aircraft which are susceptible to ash ingestion. ( both airlines serve this airport/ airports with very small propeller aircraft that fly at very low altitude)

Also, the volcano is in .. Russia !! Also, YVR delays due to ash.. how can this be possible ? I hope Gabor L is on this …

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-new ... delays-yvr
---------- ADS -----------

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Shiveluch Volcano- Airlines latest excuses for flight disruptions.

Post by porcsord »

Do you fly airplanes?

702pipeliner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 702pipeliner »

porcsord wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:36 pm Do you fly airplanes?
From their post history.... I'm gonna argue no.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

GhostRider6 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:23 pm Airlines are claiming that there’s a volcanic ash issue in YVR up to northern bc. ( Terrace and Prince Rupert)

However, neither airlines serves these airports with jet aircraft which are susceptible to ash ingestion. ( both airlines serve this airport/ airports with very small propeller aircraft that fly at very low altitude)

Also, the volcano is in .. Russia !! Also, YVR delays due to ash.. how can this be possible ? I hope Gabor L is on this …

Did you know the temperature of a turbine engine is very close to the temperatures of jet engines and both will melt the ash and coat the turbine blades.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

GhostRider6 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:23 pm Airlines are claiming that there’s a volcanic ash issue in YVR up to northern bc. ( Terrace and Prince Rupert)

Some reading to help with your decision making (Opinion making!?)
https://www.icao.int/publications/documents/9974_en.pdf

And the published Notam/Ashtam:
F0889/23 (Issued for CZVR CZEG) - VOLCANO ADVISORY. SHEVELUCH 300270, N5639 E16121 (RUSSIA) WITH
ASH EMISSIONS POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS TO AVIATION. PILOTS SHOULD
REPORT ANY OBSERVATIONS TO ATS. AVOID ASH CLOUDS WHICH MAY EXTEND
OVER CONSIDERABLE DIST AT ALT. REF TO ASH CLOUD PILOT WX REPORT
(PIREP) AND SIGMET.
OBS VOLCANIC ACT AT 0000, APR 15.
OBS VOLCANIC ASH CLOUD: SFC/FL380 641300N 1403900W - 620600N
1301400W - 621200N 1232800W - 671200N 1205900W - 681900N 1322200W
- 672400N 1405100W - 641300N 1403900W MOV NE 30KT
FCST VOLCANIC ASH CLOUD +6 HR: AT 0600, APR 15.
SFC/FL380 653700N 1384300W - 631600N 1285500W - 653700N 1384300W
- 690200N 1323900W - 676200N 1153100W - 641400N 1215800W -
631300N 1285500W - 653700N 1384300W

FCST VOLCANIC ASH CLOUD +12 HR: AT 1200, APR 15.
SFC/FL380 700700N 1320600W - 684700N 11358W -655000N 1190200W -
644200N 12712W - 665100N 13740W - 700700N 1320600W

FCST VOLCANIC ASH CLOUD +18 HR: AT 1800, APR 15.
SFC/FL380 713400N 1283000W - 695200N 1092100W - 671700N 1165800W
- 661800N 1261600W - 672200N 1352400W - 713400N 1283000W. SFC - UNL, 15 APR
01:03 2023 UNTIL 17 APR 18:00 2023 ESTIMATED. CREATED: 15 APR 01:03 2023

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

As has been stated above volcanic ash is a serious threat to aircraft. Glassification can cause engines to fail. The ash is also abrasive - windshields will become opaque and you will no longer be able to see forward. Threat to all aircraft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_A ... Flight_009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KLM_Flight_867

These are two well known events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_erup ... %C3%B6kull

See how far the ash clouds can spread.

There is no 'safe' amount of Ash in the air - the only safe option is to stop operations.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

cdnavater wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:09 pm

Did you know the temperature of a turbine engine is very close to the temperatures of jet engines and both will melt the ash and coat the turbine blades.
I do fly airplanes, and isn't a jet engine a turbine engine? Otherwise I I may have learned nothing I the last 20 years...

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

khedrei wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:30 am
cdnavater wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:09 pm

I do fly airplanes, and isn't a jet engine a turbine engine? Otherwise I I may have learned nothing I the last 20 years...
Ok, so multiple accounts it is!
Yes a jet and turbine engine are essentially the same, both will heat and melt ash causing it to stick to the blades and eventually fail, I dumbed it down assuming the person who posted had no knowledge of why volcanic ash is a threat to aviation safety.
As Eric posted above, it can cause significant damage to the aircraft and engines.
Maybe you haven’t learned anything in the last twenty years, if you don’t know this!

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

I’m surprised at the comments in a website supposedly frequented by aviation experts.

Volcanic Ash is a serious serious occurrence that must be avoided. That is why there are checklists and drills, that is why there are notices advising of their existence, that is why Flight Dispatch will re-route flights or suggest cancellation and that is why huge chunks of airspace has been shut down.

Remember when the volcano in Iceland virtually shut down all Atlantic operations.

What volcanic ash is not, is … “Airlines latest excuse for flight disruptions”.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Clearly you don’t know what aircraft fly up the coast. Can’t count how many times I’ve been in Northern BC beside a small low flying 737 or RJ.

dontcallmeshirley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dontcallmeshirley »

Why are we so focused on turbine engines? Piston engines are also susceptible to serious damage from volcanic ash.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

dontcallmeshirley wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:57 pm Why are we so focused on turbine engines? Piston engines are also susceptible to serious damage from volcanic ash.
In what way would they get damaged?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
dontcallmeshirley
Rank 4
Rank 4

digits_ wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:58 pm
dontcallmeshirley wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:57 pm Why are we so focused on turbine engines? Piston engines are also susceptible to serious damage from volcanic ash.
In what way would they get damaged?
https://www.flightglobal.com/ga-pilots- ... 04.article

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Because the discussion is about why airlines are canceling or delaying flights up the coast due to an ash cloud, not why aren’t there any GA planes flying around in ash clouds.

dontcallmeshirley
Rank 4
Rank 4

cdnavater wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:51 am
Because the discussion is about why airlines are canceling or delaying flights up the coast due to an ash cloud, not why aren’t there any GA planes flying around in ash clouds.
The original poster asked why it matters since they're not flying jets into the area. While their premise that not a jet means not a turbine is incorrect, the transition to include piston engines is valid.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

dontcallmeshirley wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:01 am
The original poster asked why it matters since they're not flying jets into the area. While their premise that not a jet means not a turbine is incorrect, the transition to include piston engines is valid.
Except that they do fly jets into the area, also can you name an airline that flys piston aircraft into the area and are being affected by the ash cloud.
No aircraft should fly into an area with ash cloud, piston or turbine/turbofan etc, happy?

dontcallmeshirley
Rank 4
Rank 4

cdnavater wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:05 am

Except that they do fly jets into the area, also can you name an airline that flys piston aircraft into the area and are being affected by the ash cloud.
No aircraft should fly into an area with ash cloud, piston or turbine/turbofan etc, happy?
I believe that you are responding after skimming what I wrote and coming to a conclusion about my opinion with that incomplete information.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

dontcallmeshirley wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:05 pm
cdnavater wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:05 am

I believe that you are responding after skimming what I wrote and coming to a conclusion about my opinion with that incomplete information.
Nope, I read every word, you asked about piston engine aircraft, to which I responded that airlines are not flying piston engine aircraft into the area and therefore no relevance to the conversation, are GA piston aircraft being delayed out of YVR due to this?
Should we get Gabor after them too?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”