Canadians working abroad (first job)

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Canadians working abroad (first job)

Post by twinpratts »

I remember a while back (20 years ago or so 🤔) some Caribbean operators hiring Canadians right out of school with Canadian CPL to fly down there. Is that still a thing?
Are there any operators you would recommend for a low timer trying to score some good time to build up his/ her logbook to come back home and get on with their career?
Thanks
TP
---------- ADS -----------

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Canadians working abroad (first job)

Post by Eric Janson »

twinpratts wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:09 pm I remember a while back (20 years ago or so 🤔) some Caribbean operators hiring Canadians right out of school with Canadian CPL to fly down there. Is that still a thing?
Are there any operators you would recommend for a low timer trying to score some good time to build up his/ her logbook to come back home and get on with their career?
Thanks
TP
Very few entry level jobs available overseas.

A lot more countries train their own Pilots now vs 20 years ago.

Even for experienced Pilots there aren't that many Expat jobs available. Asia/China are still recovering from COVID and they have plenty of their own citizens to fill the seats.

There are Canadian operators that have contracts in various parts of the world - perhaps that would be a better option for you.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

Cathay was hiring 250 hour fresh grads in 2019. Heard from a buddy there that they will potentially be resuming expat SO hiring in Q3. With the major exodus of pilots during Covid, the upgrade time to FO will likely be shorter than the 4-5 years it was historically. Sitting in cruise monitoring the AP in a 777 is probably not nearly as fun as island hopping in the Caribbean though!

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Eric Janson wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:48 am
twinpratts wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:09 pm I remember a while back (20 years ago or so 🤔) some Caribbean operators hiring Canadians right out of school with Canadian CPL to fly down there. Is that still a thing?
Thanks
TP
Very few entry level jobs available overseas.

A lot more countries train their own Pilots now vs 20 years ago.

Even for experienced Pilots there aren't that many Expat jobs available. Asia/China are still recovering from COVID and they have plenty of their own citizens to fill the seats.

There are Canadian operators that have contracts in various parts of the world - perhaps that would be a better option for you.
Other then what the last poster said regarding Cathay, yes there aren't many operators around the world hiring newbies save for Europe but you need an EASA license. For experienced pilots, all the major legacies are... They can't seem to fill slots fast enough. I recently met 4 experienced fellows going to the middle east, so there are definitely expat jobs out there

cykj
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cykj »

From my experience, there probably won't be any operators that will hire a fresh CPL holder. The ones who were hiring foreign pilots did so only if they had sufficient experience to handle some of the more exciting destinations like St. Barts and Saba. A rating on the types they flew would also be a plus.
Hiring nationals is always a priority; foreign pilots usually get a 6-month license validation from the local authority. Having said that, I knew an operator who flew single pilot twins who would not hire locals with a fresh CPL due to safety concerns.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”