Initial 30 minute assessment still wonderlic?

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

gopherblack
Rank 2
Rank 2

Initial 30 minute assessment still wonderlic?

Post by gopherblack »

Hello,

Can anyone please confirm that the 30 minute initial assessment is not wonderlic test anymore?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

PNG2005
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Initial 30 minute assessment still wonderlic?

Post by PNG2005 »

It was changed in the last few months, it is now an aon aptitude test.

gopherblack
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gopherblack »

PNG2005 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:45 pm It was changed in the last few months, it is now an aon aptitude test.
Hello, thanks for replying. I just completed the test. Is it normal to get a few questions wrong?

I still received an email saying I passed with the minimum mark. So I guess it will be months and months of wait or not ever getting called for FEAST, the application deadline for current period is April 17th? I'm asking this because I'm not sure if I did too well with this AON test.

Nekton
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nekton »

Congratulations on passing the first test. If you read the email carefully it likely says that you have 'achieved the minimum pass mark', not that you have 'passed with the minimum mark', an important distinction. From my experience through this process there has never been an indication of how well I did, just that I met the minimum requirement to continue. So you may have done very well, or you may have passed by the skin of your teeth, there's no way to know. As for whether it is normal to get a few questions wrong, I don't know if you'll ever get an answer as to what is normal.

Yes the next stage is to wait for an invitation to the next phase of testing, or interview, whichever is next for you the process. Everybody goes through it, although some wait longer than others. I am just starting FSS training after having first applied in 2019, so I promise you I understand the frustration with the pace and limited information, but, I can tell you that after seeing just an intro into how big the company is, and how complex every job is, I have a better appreciation for why this process takes so long.

Good luck, keep your optimism up, do your best and keep focused. If this is something you really want it will all feel worth it once you are sitting in the chair on the first day.

gopherblack
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gopherblack »

Nekton wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:10 am Congratulations on passing the first test. If you read the email carefully it likely says that you have 'achieved the minimum pass mark', not that you have 'passed with the minimum mark', an important distinction. From my experience through this process there has never been an indication of how well I did, just that I met the minimum requirement to continue. So you may have done very well, or you may have passed by the skin of your teeth, there's no way to know. As for whether it is normal to get a few questions wrong, I don't know if you'll ever get an answer as to what is normal.

Yes the next stage is to wait for an invitation to the next phase of testing, or interview, whichever is next for you the process. Everybody goes through it, although some wait longer than others. I am just starting FSS training after having first applied in 2019, so I promise you I understand the frustration with the pace and limited information, but, I can tell you that after seeing just an intro into how big the company is, and how complex every job is, I have a better appreciation for why this process takes so long.

Good luck, keep your optimism up, do your best and keep focused. If this is something you really want it will all feel worth it once you are sitting in the chair on the first day.
Hey! Thanks for replying. Yeah I guess I need to wait, and be very patient about it as a lot of applicants seem to wait a few years.

Thanks for your kind words. I just hope I didn't score low enough to never get called for FEAST and waiting 3 years just to never be called again seems pretty brutal.

floatflyhigh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by floatflyhigh »

gopherblack wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:21 pm
PNG2005 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:45 pm It was changed in the last few months, it is now an aon aptitude test.
Hello, thanks for replying. I just completed the test. Is it normal to get a few questions wrong?

I still received an email saying I passed with the minimum mark. So I guess it will be months and months of wait or not ever getting called for FEAST, the application deadline for current period is April 17th? I'm asking this because I'm not sure if I did too well with this AON test.
Just wondering what region you're referring to when you say the application deadline is April 17th? And also, is there a place to learn when the upcoming deadlines are for different regions? I couldn't find it on the NavCanada site. Thanks!

yoshi91
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yoshi91 »

My best advice is to not count on getting in. Go about your everyday life and put your application in the back of your mind. If you get called for the next step, excellent. If you don’t hear from them or hear a negative result, then it wasn’t meant to be. There isn’t anything you can do to score better on these tests. Either you have it or you don’t. If you don’t, then it wasn’t meant to be.

Logging off this forum can help the wait seem a bit quicker too haha.

gopherblack
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gopherblack »

yoshi91 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:57 pm My best advice is to not count on getting in. Go about your everyday life and put your application in the back of your mind. If you get called for the next step, excellent. If you don’t hear from them or hear a negative result, then it wasn’t meant to be. There isn’t anything you can do to score better on these tests. Either you have it or you don’t. If you don’t, then it wasn’t meant to be.

Thanks for replying and giving me a different perspective. I'm also a pilot so I visit avcanada often but I'll forget about my application. Fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

ide4
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ide4 »

Hi, I did the online test on 04/14 AM and on the same day received a ATS testing session in YUL for next week. Hope to do well :)

gopherblack
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gopherblack »

ide4 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:43 pm Hi, I did the online test on 04/14 AM and on the same day received a ATS testing session in YUL for next week. Hope to do well :)
Did you apply for YUL as your primary region?

ide4
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ide4 »

gopherblack wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:19 pm
ide4 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:43 pm Hi, I did the online test on 04/14 AM and on the same day received a ATS testing session in YUL for next week. Hope to do well :)
Did you apply for YUL as your primary region?

Yes YUL as primary.

sahnina
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sahnina »

gopherblack wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:52 pm Hello,

Can anyone please confirm that the 30 minute initial assessment is not wonderlic test anymore?

Thanks!
Hi Hope your test went well. I have a similar one this week. Can you tell me how many questions were there in 30 minutes test and what kind of questions? Should I practice any test to get familiar. I am just worried about the 30 minute time duration.

Thanks

gopherblack
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gopherblack »

sahnina wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:54 pm

Thanks!
Hi Hope your test went well. I have a similar one this week. Can you tell me how many questions were there in 30 minutes test and what kind of questions? Should I practice any test to get familiar. I am just worried about the 30 minute time duration.

Thanks
Hey, you can go on AON website and practice all the exams there. Exams were very similar, dm me if you have any other questions

Sherif4owo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sherif4owo »

Thanks!

Hi please can you tell me about the test, I have been invited to take test. I just want to know what to prepare on before taking the test.

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

yoshi91 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:57 pm My best advice is to not count on getting in. Go about your everyday life and put your application in the back of your mind. If you get called for the next step, excellent. If you don’t hear from them or hear a negative result, then it wasn’t meant to be. There isn’t anything you can do to score better on these tests. Either you have it or you don’t. If you don’t, then it wasn’t meant to be.

Speaking for the old wonderlic exam, yeah, I agree. I would have gotten perfect with or without prep, and in much less time than allotted.

However, for the new AON test, I am confident I can score at least 20%-50% higher than I did if I were to do it again simply because I understand the rules better. And it's not that I didn't carefully read the instructions; I did. There were just things I didn't realize I needed to know until I actually started the sections, and ways to strategize test-taking that I could only have come up with after trying it out once.

Citabria62
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Citabria62 »

However, for the new AON test, I am confident I can score at least 20%-50% higher than I did if I were to do it again simply because I understand the rules better. And it's not that I didn't carefully read the instructions; I did. There were just things I didn't realize I needed to know until I actually started the sections, and ways to strategize test-taking that I could only have come up with after trying it out once.
[/quote]

that's the whole point of the test, to see how you can do it on the first try. same with FEAST, they even say during FEAST that you can retake it if you fail, but if you fail the first one and pass the second try, you are much less likely to pass overall.

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

Citabria62 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:48 am
that's the whole point of the test, to see how you can do it on the first try. same with FEAST, they even say during FEAST that you can retake it if you fail, but if you fail the first one and pass the second try, you are much less likely to pass overall.
I haven't taken the FEAST yet since I did the w-sim previously so I can't speak about that, but at least for the AON, if you had a friend who did it and told you some tips, it would vastly improve your score compared to someone going in tabula rasa, which isn't exactly fair. I guess the argument would be that the online assessment is a pretty small portion in the overall determination so it doesn't really matter...

But yeah, i would advise people to really CAREFULLY read the instructions multiple times and try the practice problems multiple times too no matter how trivial they seem; you might realize some short cuts in doing those types of problems by doing that, which will save you a lot of time because another important thing to note is that there are an infinite number of problems so you're not trying to ace a test, you're trying to do as many problems as you can in a set amount of time.

Citabria62
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Citabria62 »

hopefulguy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:03 pm
Citabria62 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:48 am

, if you had a friend who did it and told you some tips, it would vastly improve your score compared to someone going in tabula rasa, which isn't exactly fair. I guess the argument would be that the online assessment is a pretty small portion in the overall determination so it doesn't really matter...
again, the test is meant to test you, not you and your friend who has already done it. if you cant score high enough on your own, you won't pass FEAST without help, and if you use help to pass FEAST then you'll wash out of training. so do whatever you want, but you aren't doing yourself any favours by cheating some of the entrance tests, they are there to wash you out.

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

Citabria62 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:43 am
again, the test is meant to test you, not you and your friend who has already done it. if you cant score high enough on your own, you won't pass FEAST without help, and if you use help to pass FEAST then you'll wash out of training. so do whatever you want, but you aren't doing yourself any favours by cheating some of the entrance tests, they are there to wash you out.
I think you completely misunderstood my point. I didn't fail the AON; I'm confident I am one of the top scorers in the FIR. I'm good at these kinds of tests. Especially that last section, because I like those kinds of games and played them a lot when I was little.

I also passed the old w-sim; i just failed the interview. So I am not "complaining" about failing, if that's what you think. I'm very confident in my test taking abilities, if nothing else.

The point is, I can't train a person to improve their wonderlic score from a 15 to a 30 in a day.

I can train someone, especially someone who isn't very good at these types of tests, to improve their score by 100% in a day if I shared all of my tips and tricks for every section. And so, what happens is that you can potentially have a bunch of less qualified people scoring very high and getting priority to the FEAST over people who actually took it tabula rasa.

Also, I have very high doubts about this magical line that every person who can qualify will score within a certain cluster on these tests on their first try; if they were so good at determining who can and cannot be a controller, the pass rates during training wouldn't be so low.

yoshi91
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yoshi91 »

So you’re saying you test well and can teach anyone to test well, but your personality isn’t there? Got it.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”