Ramp Job Advice

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tcarius
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ramp Job Advice

Post by tcarius »

Hi All,

I came to Canada with an EASA PPL with the will to fly in the bush. I recently got my CPL training and my float rating (25h on class). I then started to look for ramp jobs. Right now, I have two offers and I would appreciate some advice on which one seems the best when it comes to the career aspect (ie getting a flying position) :

- 1st One is in northern Saskatchewan, ramp with full accommodation (lodging, food vehicle), 3000$ monthly. The main con is that they only operate beavers, so upgrading inside the company from my position is nearly impossible, yet the CP told me that he'll try to help me build time as much as possible. CP also works in airport management during winter and offered to hire me there during the winter. They have a 210 to fly to the different airports, so it's a nice opportunity for inexpensive time building in wintertime.

- 2nd Is based in western Ontario, a bigger company (position is in one of their subbases) with smaller planes yet no accommodations. Slightly better pay of 3500$/month but all expenses on mine. Got the CP on the phone and no flying is expected during the first year, and I am unsure when it comes to upgrading inside the company.

Both positions are June-September, so I could also buy a Block Time on float to reach the Holy-50H-Grail during October, depending on my financial state (the first option is more adapted when it comes to both volume and finances).

I am open to any opinion or advice. I may sound a little impatient, but I am here to learn and I know that's the purpose of that first year on the ground. I plan to also get an opinion from my float instructor who has been in the industry for several years.

Thanks in advance for giving me some of your time.
T.

TLDR: I want to start a bush flying career and got 2 different ramp opportunities.

PS. Please excuse my English as it's not my mother tongue.
---------- ADS -----------

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Ramp Job Advice

Post by twa22 »

I just have to ask, do you have a Canadian work permit or permanent residency to allow you to work these jobs? I'm not asking to be a smart ass or anything like that, i'm genuinely asking because i'm assuming you're coming from Europe since you said EASA license, and I know a few pilots who came to Canada, converted their licenses from abroad, but were relegated to working as flight instructors under the guise of "student visa" for many, many years... they could not get a job flying at any 703-705 without a valid work permit... This was a few years back so I don't know what the situation is now, but just make sure you have all that in order before thinking about any flying job here. Now if that's all settled, I don't really know what to advise regarding which company to go, i'll let others chime in on that

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Option 1, and at the mean time keep applying for flying positions at other companies.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
tcarius
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tcarius »

twa22 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:04 pm I just have to ask, do you have a Canadian work permit or permanent residency to allow you to work these jobs? I'm not asking to be a smart ass or anything like that, i'm genuinely asking because i'm assuming you're coming from Europe since you said EASA license, and I know a few pilots who came to Canada, converted their licenses from abroad, but were relegated to working as flight instructors under the guise of "student visa" for many, many years... they could not get a job flying at any 703-705 without a valid work permit... This was a few years back so I don't know what the situation is now, but just make sure you have all that in order before thinking about any flying job here. Now if that's all settled, I don't really know what to advise regarding which company to go, i'll let others chime in on that
I do have the legal right to work in Canada, I am covered by a Post Graduation Work Permit. I should have mentioned it. But thank you for pointing that out.

tcarius
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tcarius »

digits_ wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:08 pm Option 1, and at the mean time keep applying for flying positions at other companies.
Thx for your answer.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

tcarius wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:13 pm
twa22 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:04 pm I just have to ask, do you have a Canadian work permit or permanent residency to allow you to work these jobs? I'm not asking to be a smart ass or anything like that, i'm genuinely asking because i'm assuming you're coming from Europe since you said EASA license, and I know a few pilots who came to Canada, converted their licenses from abroad, but were relegated to working as flight instructors under the guise of "student visa" for many, many years... they could not get a job flying at any 703-705 without a valid work permit... This was a few years back so I don't know what the situation is now, but just make sure you have all that in order before thinking about any flying job here. Now if that's all settled, I don't really know what to advise regarding which company to go, i'll let others chime in on that
I do have the legal right to work in Canada, I am covered by a Post Graduation Work Permit. I should have mentioned it. But thank you for pointing that out.
Looking at the permit, it seems limited in time, so unless it can be extended, my only suggestion then is to go work the job that'll get you in a plane as fast as possible, which sounds like option 1, and like digits said, look for other places that'll actually get you flying right away. I know you want to fly bush, and what sounds like on floats also. I have no idea what the movement is like with pilots leaving that side of flying, but if it's anything like what the rest of the industry is facing, I think you should be able to fly alot sooner then you think. Best of luck

sunk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sunk »

Pm me, I may have a friend looking for a pilot.

tcarius
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tcarius »

twa22 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:41 pm Looking at the permit, it seems limited in time, so unless it can be extended, my only suggestion then is to go work the job that'll get you in a plane as fast as possible, which sounds like option 1, and like digits said, look for other places that'll actually get you flying right away. I know you want to fly bush, and what sounds like on floats also. I have no idea what the movement is like with pilots leaving that side of flying, but if it's anything like what the rest of the industry is facing, I think you should be able to fly alot sooner then you think. Best of luck
I also got an introduction letter for a Hollyday-Work Permit. The total cumulated that both permits provide me should allow me to get my permanent residency before needing an employer-specific work permit (except in Québec).

tcarius
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tcarius »

sunk wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:52 pm Pm me, I may have a friend looking for a pilot.

PM sent.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

tcarius wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:32 am
twa22 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:41 pm Looking at the permit, it seems limited in time, so unless it can be extended, my only suggestion then is to go work the job that'll get you in a plane as fast as possible, which sounds like option 1, and like digits said, look for other places that'll actually get you flying right away. I know you want to fly bush, and what sounds like on floats also. I have no idea what the movement is like with pilots leaving that side of flying, but if it's anything like what the rest of the industry is facing, I think you should be able to fly alot sooner then you think. Best of luck
I also got an introduction letter for a Hollyday-Work Permit. The total cumulated that both permits provide me should allow me to get my permanent residency before needing an employer-specific work permit (except in Québec).
Glad to hear, best of luck!

tcarius
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tcarius »

twa22 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:38 am
tcarius wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:32 am
Glad to hear, best of luck!
You too! :)

Return to “Employment Forum”