Equipment by base

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

accountant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Equipment by base

Post by accountant »

Crewbunk wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:20 am
He said it’s very easy to get very lazy very quickly, it’s such an easy job.
He's just acknowledging what the rest of us know....
---------- ADS -----------

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

Blueontop wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:33 am Can you define easy a bit more, besides the not physically flying part? Getting senior relatively quickly means getting off reserve quicker? And being on reserve how often are you getting last min/day off/day before flights? Once off reserve how many days a block flying/how many days away in a row is one gonna expect? Does an RP make less than an FO once off flat pay or is there no RPs off flat pay? High expenses due to international destinations I assume you mean but you going to make more in per diems I guess? I think I would prefer an RP position over FO due to never ending slog I’d be coming from but want to make sure I know all the angles first.
Easy is relative. But, what I think he meant is that as an RP he was flying few flights. If you consider that each flight requires a certain number of event sets and tasks, then the fewer flights you do, the fewer tasks you do. As an RP you could do as few as 6 flights a month, (on the Pacific) or 5 (on the Atlantic, DHing one way). As an A220 F/O you could fly 40 flights a month.

Yes, senior getting off reserve quicker and having greater control of your block.

Expenses, (called per diems at other airlines) are predicated on city and meal. For example, a 24 hour layover in Zurich could include one lunch, one snack, one dinner and one breakfast. Each has a dollar value, and varies by destination. (It’s more than Regina).

Do you not have a copy of the current pay at AC? I’ve seen it publicly. It will give you an idea of what to expect once off flat pay. Remember, once you go to the left seat, you are off flat pay even if within 4 years.

Yes, off flat pay, an F/O makes more than an R/P on the same type. It’s a percentage of Captain pay.

It sounds like you have the right idea. The only concern is that you might lose your touch, not flying as an R/P. But, the simulators are available during down time for you to practice. (Usually 0200-0600). Don’t forget though, it’s “train to standard”. It’s up to AC to get you capable again after 10 years as an R/P. (Some have done it).

The reserve rules at AC are horrendous. But social. Namely everyone gets screwed equally. My own opinion is that life is better with a block. But that’s just me.

Did I miss anything?

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

accountant wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:08 am He's just acknowledging what the rest of us know....
Remember, a pilot is paid well for what he knows, not what he does. (Just like an old accountant).

SkyBagPiper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SkyBagPiper »

Everyone is telling everyone to avoid bidding WB FO to get out of Reserve and get a block as quickly as possible.

But realistically how long would it be for anyone to get a block and off Reserve these days? Since everything is rolling fast it seems…what the new predicted time?

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

SkyBagPiper wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:39 am Everyone is telling everyone to avoid bidding WB FO to get out of Reserve and get a block as quickly as possible.

But realistically how long would it be for anyone to get a block and off Reserve these days? Since everything is rolling fast it seems…what the new predicted time?
It depends entirely on how many pilots get trained behind you, and how fast. 5 years ago, I was a new hire on the 320… I held a block as soon as I was finished my line check…. Others in my PIT course were the last EMJ FOs to be trained for months… so they were the bottom 4 on reserve for about 8 months! I think they were on reserve for almost a year in the end… Despite having about 500 more pilots hired in that time, the company was prioritizing training on other fleets, so new hires were not offered EMJ FO positions.

Similarly, if you aren’t based in YYZ, your relative seniority will likely improve more slowly…

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Crewbunk wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:12 am
Blueontop wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:33 am Can you define easy a bit more, besides the not physically flying part? Getting senior relatively quickly means getting off reserve quicker? And being on reserve how often are you getting last min/day off/day before flights? Once off reserve how many days a block flying/how many days away in a row is one gonna expect? Does an RP make less than an FO once off flat pay or is there no RPs off flat pay? High expenses due to international destinations I assume you mean but you going to make more in per diems I guess? I think I would prefer an RP position over FO due to never ending slog I’d be coming from but want to make sure I know all the angles first.
Easy is relative. But, what I think he meant is that as an RP he was flying few flights. If you consider that each flight requires a certain number of event sets and tasks, then the fewer flights you do, the fewer tasks you do. As an RP you could do as few as 6 flights a month, (on the Pacific) or 5 (on the Atlantic, DHing one way). As an A220 F/O you could fly 40 flights a month.

Yes, senior getting off reserve quicker and having greater control of your block.

Expenses, (called per diems at other airlines) are predicated on city and meal. For example, a 24 hour layover in Zurich could include one lunch, one snack, one dinner and one breakfast. Each has a dollar value, and varies by destination. (It’s more than Regina).

Do you not have a copy of the current pay at AC? I’ve seen it publicly. It will give you an idea of what to expect once off flat pay. Remember, once you go to the left seat, you are off flat pay even if within 4 years.

Yes, off flat pay, an F/O makes more than an R/P on the same type. It’s a percentage of Captain pay.

It sounds like you have the right idea. The only concern is that you might lose your touch, not flying as an R/P. But, the simulators are available during down time for you to practice. (Usually 0200-0600). Don’t forget though, it’s “train to standard”. It’s up to AC to get you capable again after 10 years as an R/P. (Some have done it).

The reserve rules at AC are horrendous. But social. Namely everyone gets screwed equally. My own opinion is that life is better with a block. But that’s just me.

Did I miss anything?

That is extremely helpful crewbunk, I think one last thing is A. Is 10 years how long one stays in RP position or what is the minimum commitment? B. When one does leave the RP position do they generally move FO on the aircraft they’ve been flying or onto something else, WB or NB? was thinking that one would eventually move into a FO WB spot after they held better seniority? Is that realistic or out to lunch? Otherwise sit as RP for a year or two and then reassess, maybe go NB, there are so many factors to consider in a decision like this both personal and career wise

yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

accountant wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:08 am
Crewbunk wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:20 am
He said it’s very easy to get very lazy very quickly, it’s such an easy job.
He's just acknowledging what the rest of us know....
Man, I guess I should get into accounting. Must be nice to have so much time on your hands that you're making a hobby out of sh*tting on pilots on every thread for seemingly no reason. Who hurt you? :lol:

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

Blueontop wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:56 am That is extremely helpful crewbunk, I think one last thing is A. Is 10 years how long one stays in RP position or what is the minimum commitment? B. When one does leave the RP position do they generally move FO on the aircraft they’ve been flying or onto something else, WB or NB? was thinking that one would eventually move into a FO WB spot after they held better seniority? Is that realistic or out to lunch? Otherwise sit as RP for a year or two and then reassess, maybe go NB, there are so many factors to consider in a decision like this both personal and career wise
The only real commitment you have is that for your first 24 months that you are here, you don’t have a lot of say where you go. Technically, they can leave you there. Realistically though, you bid with every equipment bid, (up to six times a year), and if you desired a different base, equipment or position, often they will try to accommodate you.

So if after your PIT course, you didn’t get what you wanted, keep bidding, you may get it.

One thing AC offers that no other airline in Canada does, is three narrow body types and four wide body types. The world is there for you to choose. Don’t be surprised if your aim changes during your career.

Ideally, the easiest course is a position jump on an aircraft type you are flying, ie R/P to F/O or F/O to CA. But you can do anything your seniority allows.

The toughest course though, is your first left seat course. Termed “The Command Course” it’s a tough grind. But it’s doable and once you’ve done it, every other left seat course is just another course. Some get it over with early, some do it on the 777, some never do it.

It’s all your choice.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Technically, there is a 4 year position freeze for new hires. There is an exception to allow bidding a new position at a different base once during this freeze, and base transfers on the same aircraft type are allowed.

Practically speaking, the company has been releasing pilots from the new hire freeze long before the 4 years (more like 12 months), and this is done in seniority order.

10 years as an RP is a long time, and while it is not unheard of, it is rare. Some people will move from RP to FO on the same type, often around the time they get off flat pay, as there is suddenly a financial incentive to do so. Others will bid onto different types. As a 320 FO I flew with a couple of captains who went straight from WB RP to NB CA. They described this as a VERY difficult process.

In the end it all depends on your personal goals and personality to decide what is best for you! There are pros and cons to every position, so finding the correct balance for your lifestyle is the key.

Art Vandelay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Art Vandelay »

To second skyhighh and crewbunk, going widebody FO off the hop would mean being on reserve/a junior blockholder (work every weekend) for quite some time as it is generally a more senior position. My PIT (I was hired several months ago) offered RP spots and I saw the pilots on that aircraft were working roughly 15 days a month with lots of vacancies below, so I chose and was able to get RP. The difference of being an RP vs widebody FO is you'll be doing the same job minus the takeoff or landing, have a better schedule faster and for the first 4 years be doing it for the same pay. That being said I have heard being on reserve as a widebody FO isn't too bad.

After the first 4 years a widebody FO makes far more than an RP.

Again, to reiterate what crewbunk's RP said, it's easy to get "lazy" as you do fewer flights a month vs a narowbody FO and not the takeoff/landing, that part I miss, but there's plenty of time to bid FO down the road. Some would rather be in the hot seat flying right off the bat, it all depends what matters most to YOU.

Some FO's hired directly onto widebodies last fall are holding junior blocks, but the large amount of widebody FO vacancies are near being filled, so I'd expect you will be sitting close to the bottom for a long while. They've recently began to offer 87/777 RP positions again. If I had to choose between being 90% as a 777FO or 30-40% as a 777RP, I would definitely choose the latter.

Best of luck!

Return to “Air Canada”