AIRAF class 4 written test feedback

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Pliskin1108
Rank 1
Rank 1

AIRAF class 4 written test feedback

Post by Pliskin1108 »

Hi everyone!

Just wrote the AIRAF yesterday and wanted to give some feedback here.

I only used nizus for my practice exams and it was all I needed. Most of the exam's questions were in their database (not necessarily worded the same but the topic was covered). I also made sure to review the first 40 pages of the instructor guide well, which was helpful.

I had to study for both IATRA and AIRAF at the same time which wasn't ideal, and if I had focused on the AIRAF only, I think I could have scored better (but eh, a pass is a pass).

Some pointers for the people writing soon:

- Review SPP requirements/privileges. I focused mostly on REC/PPL/CPL and to my surprise I had a few questions around the SPP (age requirement, medical requirement and validity, solo privileges...).

- Review thoroughly forces acting in flight (I had a question about the forces in a steady climb and another on the forces in a stabilized gliding descent).

- Expect the questions you are used to see being asked in a "more advanced" way. Let me explain: a question like "which of the following configuration causes the most ground effect" would be asked as "Which of the following configuration reduces induced drag the most on take-off", or something of that order. Basically, the answer is the same, low wings close to the ground, but they are asked in a way that makes you wonder and second guess yourself.

- Ridge crossing (true altitude calculation): There was only one question on it, just mentioning because the CX-2 won't do it and I had to go to the front counter mid exam to ask for an E6B, which luckily they had. Something to keep in mind.

- CPL formulas ie.: load factor, hydroplaning, rate 1 bank angle based on speed, approach speed, line of sight, etc.

- Instructor guide: I mentioned it already in the material I studied but I emphasize on it because it was probably a good half of the exam. Things to focus on in the guide are: learning factors, escape mechanism, developmental teaching, demonstration-performance concept, oral questions, meeting the difference, and analysis of student performance. Basically the first 40 pages...but with a big emphasis on the concepts I just listed.

That's really about it. There were about 15-20 questions on various topics that I haven't listed here, but I feel these weren't really problematic, like bottle to throttle, centre of pressure's movement during the stall, etc. The things we get on exams since the PPL basically, but still worth mentioning.

Let me know if you have any other questions I'll be happy to try and help.

Good luck to the next ones :)
---------- ADS -----------

mpsehmbey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: AIRAF class 4 written test feedback

Post by mpsehmbey »

Can you remember what sort of questions you got from development teaching, demo-performance oral question and analysis of student performance. the way its asked it can confusing since there have 2 correct answer in the mcq.

ft747
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: AIRAF class 4 written test feedback

Post by ft747 »

This please!

mpsehmbey wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:58 pm Can you remember what sort of questions you got from development teaching, demo-performance oral question and analysis of student performance. the way its asked it can confusing since there have 2 correct answer in the mcq.

Return to “Flight Training”