US pilots weren’t always the highest paid, almost 50% lower than Canada for the same jet job

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

CanadaAir
Rank 5
Rank 5

US pilots weren’t always the highest paid, almost 50% lower than Canada for the same jet job

Post by CanadaAir »

Decades ago Air Canada was near the top of pay

Executives & government convinced pilots to concede pay

In recent decade, US & Canada pay was lowered

Most pilots know of the US regional pay below $19,000 a year, almost 50% lower than Canada for the same jet job

Even in 2021, US airlines were paying low $36.72/flight hour for first officer, under $50,000/year Canadian. This was around the same rate for first year q400 first officers in Canada.

The WestJet CEO thinks there's a difference between US & Canadian pilots, that pay cant double
WestJet CEO's comment

,i,.png
,i,.png (17.86 KiB) Viewed 979 times

Then 8 months ago, US airlines started to triple the pay rates of junior pilots & double for senior.
Junior pilot pay had already over doubled from $19,000 US to $50,000 US for the same aircraft

From $19,000 US to $100,000 US was a %500 pay increase.

Large pay increases are possible. They may seem large, but doubling a small salary isn't the same as doubling a large one.

Does the public & government have issue with a CEO tripling salaries?

"Air Canada boss's pay tripled in 2022 to $12.4 million

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/air-canada- ... -1.6350491

ii.png
ii.png (37.58 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
III.png
III.png (52.53 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
---------- ADS -----------

safetyfirst123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: US pilots weren’t always the highest paid, almost 50% lower than Canada for the same jet job

Post by safetyfirst123 »

Very well said. I hope pilots in Canada can come close to replicating the gains made in the US. I'm tired of hearing excuses why we can't be paid somewhat similarly to them. As you said, it's only very recently that this disparity in wages between Canada and the US happened, and it was thanks to unity between pilot groups, regardless of what company they fly for. That's how in some cases regional and LCC pilots in the US now out-earn AC pilots by a wide margin.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: US pilots weren’t always the highest paid, almost 50% lower than Canada for the same jet job

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Thank you CanadaAir for providing detailed responses backed up by credible evidence. Posts such as your’s are what this site needs more of. Bravo 👏

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”