Future AME

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Michael1108
Rank 0
Rank 0

Future AME

Post by Michael1108 »

Hello All! I am currently a ramp agent at Air Canada and I’ve been doing that for 1 year now. I want to become an AME for the airline and was wondering on the route to get there. Currently I have an accepted offer from Centennial college however I was wondering if I would be able to complete the ICE course for a quicker transition. What is the progression like after completing school? Can you get a job at an airline and work towards your AME on the job or does it work differently? I’m a little confused on the whole progression.

Thank you for helping!
---------- ADS -----------

nine sixteenths
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Future AME

Post by nine sixteenths »

I can’t speak to Air Canada as I don’t know how progressive they are with license attainment, but basics for an AME license, with your posted options, are:
1- centennial college, which gives you 18 month experience credit and qualify you for the knowledge portion. Following this, you get a job, and start your logbook. You need a minimum 48 months full time work, plus a logbook with 70% of the applicable tasks, signed off by an AME. Then you submit your logbook and a letter with your time to TC, write the CARs exam, and can get a license.
2- ICS, which gives you a paper saying you took the course. You get training credit but not the knowledge or experience. You then have to do 48 months of work, the same logbook as above, and then write all of the knowledge exams at TC, plus CARs before getting the license.

Regarding the logbook, the tasks are summarized here, assuming you are looking for an M2 license.
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/licens ... m2-licence

As I’ve seen it interpreted, you need 70% of the tasks applicable to the place you work for the rating you seek. So if your workplace doesn’t have helicopters or piston engines, you don’t need those parts.

Further guidance:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/licens ... me-licence

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

I would stay a ramp agent. No sense in pursuing AME as a career as only disappointment and havoc will be your reward. You already get to touch the airplanes so why not pursue a real trade.

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

If you want an airline job the co-op program between various colleges and Air Canada is an easy path. Basically you alternate between apprenticeship at AC and your schooling to end up almost licensed. Places like BCIT, Confederation and I'm sure others offer this option. The biggest challenge is not getting the schooling done but finding a first job to get your logbook and experience.

Return to “Maintenance”