702 or 703 AOC for sightseeing?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

lidi
Rank 2
Rank 2

702 or 703 AOC for sightseeing?

Post by lidi »

Good afternoon aviators, have the rules changed regarding sightseeing ‘work’ ? Do you now need a 703 to do aerial sightseeing business or the 702 AOC?
And I hear it can take up to a year to get it!

Thanks in advance
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: 702 or 703 AOC for sightseeing?

Post by photofly »

Depending on the size of the aircraft, 703, 704, or 705.

702 is for stuff that doesn't involve the carriage of passengers, I think.

Specifically:
703.01 This Subpart applies in respect of the operation by a Canadian air operator, in an air transport service or in aerial work involving sightseeing operations, of any of the following aircraft:
704.01 This Subpart applies in respect of the operation by a Canadian air operator, in an air transport service or in aerial work involving sightseeing operations, of any of the following aircraft:
705.01 This Subpart applies in respect of the operation by a Canadian air operator, in an air transport service or in aerial work involving sightseeing operations, of any of the following aircraft:
You can also do sightseeing with an FTUOC.

No recent changes to regulation, as far as I know.
And I hear it can take up to a year to get it!
Given the infrastructure you need to set up, that doesn't sound unreasonable.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Confusingly, sightseeing is a type of flight, that may or may not have anything to do with passengers seeing stuff.

As per CAR101.01 (1)
sightseeing operation means aerial work in the course of which passengers are disembarked at the point of departure; (excursion aérienne)
Therefore any flight where the above applies is a sightseeing flight. FTUs are restricted to aerial work that are classified as sightseeing flights. As per (confusingly not anywhere in the 406 CARs) CAR 702.02 (4)
(4) A person who holds a flight training unit operator certificate may conduct aerial work involving the carriage of persons other than flight crew members on board a single-engined aircraft if

(a) the pilot-in-command is the holder of a valid flight instructor rating in the appropriate category of aircraft;

(b) the aircraft is operated in day VFR flight;

(c) there are no more than nine passengers on board; and

(d) the flight is conducted for the purpose of sightseeing operations.
Technically speaking any pilot/plane combo can do sightseeing operations for free. As per CAR 700.02 (5)(d)

Also one could do sight seeing operations (which as above are classified as "aerial work" with a 702 certificate as well. As per 702.01 (1) (a)
702.01 (1) Subject to subsection (2), this Subpart applies in respect of the operation of an aeroplane or helicopter in aerial work involving

(a) the carriage on board of persons other than flight crew members;
You however need a 703 certificate if you are going to move people around in support of said sight seeing flight, which then changes in definition from aerial work to an air transport service. Even if the purpose was to see sights.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

702.01(2) makes it clear that 702 doesn't apply to any sightseeing operations at all:
702.01 (1) Subject to subsection (2), this Subpart applies in respect of the operation of an aeroplane or helicopter in aerial work involving
(2) This Subpart does not apply in respect of the operation of an ultra-light aeroplane, or in respect of the operation of an aircraft in aerial work involving sightseeing operations.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

photofly wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:25 pm 702.01(2) makes it clear that 702 doesn't apply to any sightseeing operations at all:
(2) This Subpart does not apply in respect of the operation of an ultra-light aeroplane, or in respect of the operation of an aircraft in aerial work involving sightseeing operations.
I must be wearing orthotics, because I stand corrected. :wink:

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I think a small party of celebration is in order, because it's not every day that the regulations are unambiguous about something. Drinks on me.

Flight Dynamics
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flight Dynamics »

Skydiving Operations Take part under 702 AerialWork, and we carry passengers for the purpose of parachute drop.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Flight Dynamics wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:24 am Skydiving Operations Take part under 702 AerialWork, and we carry passengers for the purpose of parachute drop.
You are operating pursuant to CAR 703.01 (1] (a)

(a) the carriage on board of persons other than flight crew members;

Skydiving is one of the aerial work types permitted under CAR 702

Return to “General Comments”