Is there strike pay?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Is there strike pay?

Post by FL030 »

I'm just wondering how much of a nest egg I need to be saving to comfortably strike this fall. Is there any strike pay and if so how much is it? What about people on GDIP? Do they still receive their payments from Canada Life while the pilots are striking?
---------- ADS -----------

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Is there strike pay?

Post by a2btrail »

FL030 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:48 pm I'm just wondering how much of a nest egg I need to be saving to comfortably strike this fall. Is there any strike pay and if so how much is it? What about people on GDIP? Do they still receive their payments from Canada Life while the pilots are striking?
No one knows if there will even be a strike. Way too early to tell. Best thing to do is ask the union for GDIP and CL.

I don't think anyone can determine "your nest egg" on this forum. Nobody knows how expensive or inexpensive you run your life.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

You can just say you don't know. It was a pretty straight forward question.

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

Dry Guy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:06 pm You can just say you don't know. It was a pretty straight forward question.
It was 4 questions actually. Leading off with one only the OP can answer. So no, not really that straight forward at all.

Regarding the strike pay question, that will be up to ALPA to determine what will be authorized. It probably won't be any less than what WJ got which I believe was $2500USD/mo per pilot.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

Get a $10,000 LOC.

Most everyone will qualify. Easy, done. That, plus the $2500 USD from ALPA should be sufficient for at least a month, maybe more.

Use it if you need it. Cancel it if you don't. It will be worth every penny toward future earnings and then some.

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

That $2500USD($3400CAD)/mo from alpa is untaxed too as far as I'm aware

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

RockSalty wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:59 pm That $2500USD($3400CAD)/mo from alpa is untaxed too as far as I'm aware
Thank you!

I work for Air Canada, I'm already living off a LOC.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Isn’t that strike pay comparable to flat pay? Who’d have thought carrying a sign would be competitive with flying a transport category jet? Gets you home every night, too.

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

lownslow wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:36 pm Isn’t that strike pay comparable to flat pay? Who’d have thought carrying a sign would be competitive with flying a transport category jet? Gets you home every night, too.
Its more than your monthly takehome at WJ is if you're doing the WSP match in year 1 :lol:

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

FL030 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:48 pm I'm just wondering how much of a nest egg I need to be saving to comfortably strike this fall. Is there any strike pay and if so how much is it? What about people on GDIP? Do they still receive their payments from Canada Life while the pilots are striking?
If you work for AC why are you asking about strike pay on here? Simply send your MEC an email and I’m sure they will give you a much better reply.

cjp
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cjp »

RippleRock wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:28 pm Get a $10,000 LOC.

Most everyone will qualify. Easy, done. That, plus the $2500 USD from ALPA should be sufficient for at least a month, maybe more.

Use it if you need it. Cancel it if you don't. It will be worth every penny toward future earnings and then some.
No point in ever cancelling credit, it hurts your credit score. Yes, it could become a liability if your accounts get compromised, but cancelling it is always a bad idea as your score is based on the volume of total credit you have access to versus what you owe, minus penalties. Canceling an account reduces your total volume leading to a lower score.

Can't believe it's 'normal' to work for an airline and need a LOC to keep oneself afloat.

Return to “Air Canada”