Biennial flight review requirement coming to Canada from 2024

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Biennial flight review requirement coming to Canada from 2024

Post by PilotDAR »

I was checking out an actual 2-time Space Shuttle astronaut.
Very cool! I bet his forced approaches were good!
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:41 pm A 200 hour instructor on 172’s ....
There's no such thing as a 200 hour instructor.
rookiepilot wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:41 pm ....the licence qualifications for a 4000 hour PPL in their hands to renew or deny...
Some of the scariest pilots are high time PPL holders. Not all, or even most, but you can develop an awful lot of bad habits in 4000 hours of unsupervised flying.
rookiepilot wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:41 pm ...hard time even starting the complex high performance aircraft the PPL flies....
I've never met a PPL who has access to a high performance aircraft, and if they have one, they're usually the type to get biannual training at Simcom or FlightSafety. Granted, the Garrett engines are a bit tricky to start with all the fingers pressing all different buttons. (I'm being serious, Garrett's are ridiculous to start.)
rookiepilot wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:41 pm Lets instead discuss how instructors are allowed to teach IFR without one minute seeing the inside of a cloud.
Agree 100%.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Bede wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:16 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:41 pm Lets instead discuss how instructors are allowed to teach IFR without one minute seeing the inside of a cloud.
Agree 100%.
Right, but could you (both) go and do that in a thread started for that purpose?
A 200 hour instructor on 172’s has absolutely zero business holding carte blanche authority for the licence qualifications for a 4000 hour PPL in their hands to renew or deny, when the instructor would have a hard time even starting the complex high performance aircraft the PPL flies.
Nobody is suggesting handing over any authority - blanche, rouge or vert - over anyone else's licence, to anyone. So let's dial back the straw-man outrage a couple of notches.

All this is, is a proposal that pilots undertake (as it stands) one hour of flight training, and one hour of ground training, every two years. There's no pass/fail and nobody is passing judgement.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:58 pm
So if I do, for argument’s sake, my annual first class (and expensive) flight training at FlightSafety on my own Malibu, Meridian, Baron, TBM, 414, Cirrus, or any of dozens of other advanced types, with thousands of hours, you’re saying I can Still lose my pilot privileges cause some class 4 with 200 hours doesn’t like the way I fly a 172?

Do these rule changes apply to ATPL holders as well flying A320’s?

Haven’t read it in detail, seems unclear to me.
I’ve bolded this part of my prior post.

You know, there are high time, and even low time, PPL’s that take their flying and recurrent training seriously.

This seems like one of those proposed changes that is all about appearance and little about substance.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Tue May 30, 2023 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:18 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:58 pm
So if I do, for argument’s sake, my annual first class (and expensive) flight training at FlightSafety on my own Malibu, Meridian, Baron, TBM, 414, Cirrus, or any of dozens of other advanced types, with thousands of hours, you’re saying I can Still lose my pilot privileges cause some class 4 with 200 hours doesn’t like the way I fly a 172?

Do these rule changes apply to ATPL holders as well flying A320’s?

Haven’t read it in detail, seems unclear to me.
I’ve bolded this part of my prior post.

You know, there are high time, and even low time, PPL’s that take their flying and recurrent training seriously.

This seems like one of those proposed changes that is all about appearance and little about substance.
I doubt that high and low time PPLs who take their flying seriously will object to a requirement for two hours of training very two years.

Please write to the address given in the document and say you think it’s important that whatever the requirements for recurrent training are, that periodic type training at somewhere like FlightSafety meets those requirements.

Complaining on here about regulations that don’t exist yet isn’t productive when you are being begged by government (begged - they just gave you another month to respond) for your input.

for comparison, we know what the rule in the USA is. Here’s the rule from the UK:
Is My PPL Licence Valid Forever?

Your EASA-PPL is valid for lifetime, but your Single Engine Piston Rating is only valid for two years. To keep this ‘current’ you must fly at least 12 hours in the last year before expiry, of which one hour must be with a flying instructor.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
tuqi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tuqi »

"Here’s the rule from the UK"

That's an incomplete description of the "revalidation by experience" criteria. The criteria are optional. In the alternative, the rating will be revalidated/renewed by passing a proficiency check. Some pilots will do that in combination with the instrument rating proficiency check, which needs doing with an examiner annually.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Either way, it’s significantly more onerous and expensive than anything mooted here.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Are there any updates on this? Is this extra requirement still coming into force this year?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

My problem with it will be the unscrupulous owners of said "flight schools" that will milk the shit out of people. Had a Malibu that insurance wanted him to do a bfr. Went up for an 1.5 signed off by their CFI the owner then called the insurance company to tell them his instructor made a mistake, and he should come back for another 5 hrs. I have called this schools poi several times over this now former owner.

piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piperdriver »

I love it Transport Canada coming out with stupid regulations in the guise of "making aviation safer." Very similar to the water egress training that was mandated in the spring of 2023. It won't make float flying safer but it will certainly make some people in the industry richer $$$. Meanwhile Northstar Air can crash aircraft at a rate of 1 accident per year and Transport buries its head in the sand. The incompetence at Transport Canada never ceases to amaze me.

Fly0nTheWall
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fly0nTheWall »

piperdriver wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:51 am I love it Transport Canada coming out with stupid regulations in the guise of "making aviation safer." Very similar to the water egress training that was mandated in the spring of 2023. It won't make float flying safer but it will certainly make some people in the industry richer $$$.
Except water egress training does make aviation safer by saving lives in the event of a water ditching. Have you done the training before? The first time you do the training, it's quite disorienting and difficult to do. Then add to that difficulty the stress of the situation in a real world accident (crashing, upside down, potentially cold water shock, potential injuries, etc.). It is good training to do if you operate aircraft on/around water.

Edited: Posted second part of post to the wrong thread xD

Return to “General Comments”