The Sealand RED V12 Diesel Beaver flies!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: The Sealand RED V12 Diesel Beaver flies!

Post by PilotDAR »

For those near Toronto who might like to see the diesel Beaver before it heads back out west, I plan to stop into Burlington mid day Friday with it. Precise time to be determined....
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Bring it to the Island, and we'll have a whip-round for the landing fee?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
tdawe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tdawe »

It's always been my understanding that although a diesel engine could burn Jet-A, it wouldn't do well in the long run as diesel fuel had lubricating properties for a diesel engines piston rings etc. that Jet-A does not have. Am I wrong on this?

and if not do they address this through modifications of the engine, or a fuel additive?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The engine is type certified for use with Jet A. Diesel fuel certification is planned for the future, though is not a priority for now. Jet A is very easy to get wherever a Beaver needs to operate.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

tdawe wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:12 am It's always been my understanding that although a diesel engine could burn Jet-A, it wouldn't do well in the long run as diesel fuel had lubricating properties for a diesel engines piston rings etc. that Jet-A does not have.
I believe automotive diesels rely on the lubricity of their fuels to keep pumps and things going. Certified aero engines that can run on jet fuel are designed to get by just fine on jet fuel.

Look at it a totally different way: gasoline is a solvent and we don’t think twice about what that could be doing to pumps, etc. because they’re designed for it.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Many eons back I used to fuel planes. To that end we took 10l/ daily and every tank farm fill. We had lots of 55 gal drums that were(contaminated) that were perfectly fine. I used to sell to a construction company for 50$/barrel they would blend in a litre of 2cycle oil and use in their excavators etc..... There was only so much I could use in my diesel rabbit!

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

As long as the weather cooperates, I'll plan to take the RED diesel Beaver to the COPA Flight 23 North Bay brunch Sunday, if anyone would like to have a closer look...

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I was away Sunday. Let me know if it will be displayed anywhere else this summer.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The diesel Beaver is safely back at home in Campbell River BC. I believe that it will be available to be seen at airshows in Boundary Bay, and Abbottsford, though I do not have the details of those events...

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

PilotDAR wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:54 pm The diesel Beaver is safely back at home in Campbell River BC. I believe that it will be available to be seen at airshows in Boundary Bay, and Abbottsford, though I do not have the details of those events...
I'm sure it'll be on display for the Wings'n'Wheels event in Campbell River. I believe that's on July 9th this year.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

Is Pilotdar okay? I know Diamond has been having a lot of issues with their diesels. Cracked pistons I believe.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I was not flying this flight. The two pilots are doing okay, the plane is less well.

The airplane had more than 100 hours, and the engine had been very dependable throughout that flying. The TSB is investigating, and there will be lots of engine data to download from two onboard recording systems. If there was an engine problem, there will be a record. In the mean time, I'm told that Sealand is still fully committed to the program, so with a delay, development will continue. It's an excellent airplane, the RED diesel is the perfect match to the Beaver. This will be a great product, just some bumps along the road of development.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

PilotDAR wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:30 am I was not flying this flight. The two pilots are doing okay, the plane is less well.

The airplane had more than 100 hours, and the engine had been very dependable throughout that flying. The TSB is investigating, and there will be lots of engine data to download from two onboard recording systems. If there was an engine problem, there will be a record. In the mean time, I'm told that Sealand is still fully committed to the program, so with a delay, development will continue. It's an excellent airplane, the RED diesel is the perfect match to the Beaver. This will be a great product, just some bumps along the road of development.
Glad to hear everyone is OK. Hope the root cause of the failure is easily determined and fixable and that the test program can resume.

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

PilotDAR wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:30 am I was not flying this flight. The two pilots are doing okay, the plane is less well.

I'm glad to hear you and they are okay. Can you describe the incident and where it took place?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The pilots were doing a familiarization flight south of Campbell River. I'm not at liberty to provide any details, that will have to come from authorized sources. The TSB has lots to work with to investigate the factors.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Everybody is talking about engine data so I imagine it was that. Perhaps a oil injection system like a snowmobile could aid with running on Jet A reliably.

Intentional Left Bank
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Intentional Left Bank »

CADORS Number: 2023P2452
Occurrence Date: 2023-09-20
Occurrence Time: 1730Z
Occurrence Location: N49 47 W125 12

A Sealand Aviation Ltd. de Havilland DHC-2 (C-GSBA) from Campbell River, BC to Campbell River, BC departed from CYBL at 1720Z for a flight to the Southeast. At 1733Z, the pilot declared "MAYDAY" and stated that they were landing in the trees in the vicinity of Constitution Hill. Joint Rescue Coordination Centre Victoria and local emergency services was alerted. Crew member of incident aircraft was able to contact aircraft operator to advise two people on board were okay. A search and rescue aircraft was dispatched from Comox, BC.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz2ZhRaOJ ... NhbQ%3D%3D

3:13 mini merlin. As much as I like the 985 I'd like this in an amphib beaver.

Any news on this front

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Neat looking bird, and quiet to boot. Gotta do something about those exhausts though... can we graft on a PT6A-34 exhaust to give it a bit more of a certain je ne sais quoi?

Return to “General Comments”