Here we go

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Here we go

Post by flying4dollars »

Mac08 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:01 pm
Crewbunk wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:01 pm
lownslow wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:52 am B1s cost the company nothing (okay, that extra 80 kilos has an effect on fuel burn, I guess) so taking them away is just a dramatic statement.
Not to mention, your 80 Kgs affect on fuel burn is the same, B1, C1, C2, etc.

Yesterday an F/A said, (smugly) I hear you’re about to lose your B1s. Now, we’re all equal again. I just laughed and said, “Honey, I make over $300K/yr, you think I fly (sniff) stand-by. I don’t think so”.

I walked away, but the F/O said her face was priceless.
I'm all for putting people in their place but the way that was typed made me die on the inside of cringe. Go get'em boomer?

Pilots crying over losing B1's on online forms or chat groups (New hires in GS even) is the companies wet dream. Don't give it to them and follow the contract.. Seems pretty simple.
I can tell you from many internal and private group chats that nobody is crying over the loss of B1's. If it means a significant pay raise and improvement in language and QOL, then losing the B1's will be a VERY small and insignificant price to pay.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Crewbunk wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:01 pm
lownslow wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:52 am B1s cost the company nothing (okay, that extra 80 kilos has an effect on fuel burn, I guess) so taking them away is just a dramatic statement.
Not to mention, your 80 Kgs affect on fuel burn is the same, B1, C1, C2, etc.

Yesterday an F/A said, (smugly) I hear you’re about to lose your B1s. Now, we’re all equal again. I just laughed and said, “Honey, I make over $300K/yr, you think I fly (sniff) stand-by. I don’t think so”.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

DanWEC wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:25 pm I'm shocked to see the level antagonism here between cabin and flight crew. Has this been going on for a while at AC?
From my humble outsider's perspective, it could be detrimental towards a gain for everyone as a whole, but, I'm not at AC, so take it for whatever it's worth.
Go hard friends, stand strong, stand united, and don't let them @#$! you for another decade again!
It’s certainly not all FA’s. The majority are amazing. However there are still those around who seem to feel that company seniority somehow determines the chain of command in the aircraft. Not to mention those who have been caught removing food from pilots meals then telling them that it was missing etc. it’s a small group but nevertheless it leaves a sour taste when you encounter them.

flyingfool
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyingfool »

Bede wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:22 am

I'm sorry, but that's a terrible attitude to have. I have no idea about B1's, C1's, etc., but you're about to go into battle for a better CA. You don't need to open another front.

This 1000%

We need wide spread support. This includes our colleagues

We can go confirmed with our new pay rates

No other US pilot group has "B1s"

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

DanWEC wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:25 pm I'm shocked to see the level antagonism here between cabin and flight crew. Has this been going on for a while at AC?
From my humble outsider's perspective, it could be detrimental towards a gain for everyone as a whole, but, I'm not at AC, so take it for whatever it's worth.
Go hard friends, stand strong, stand united, and don't let them @#$! you for another decade again!
A lot of it has to do with the "me too clause" that they insisted on having in their contracts years past.

If the pilots negotiated hard and won something, the FA's just "rode the pilots coat-tails" and got it as well. This compromises our bargaining as any "ask" is doubly expensive", or that's what we hear.

They seem more than happy to see us not get compensated with a C1 over Christmas, or get significantly less for per diems in some cases. They also get better meal options on the aircraft, often having a breakfast boarded where we have none, then selling the extra passenger meals while neglecting the FlightDeck completely, starving or not. I see it constantly. These are facts, and they are what they are I guess.

Ya, no love lost for the most part.

Tigger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tigger »

RippleRock wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:45 pm
A lot of it has to do with the "me too clause" that they insisted on having in their contracts years past.

If the pilots negotiated hard and won something, the FA's just "rode the pilots coat-tails" and got it as well. This compromises our bargaining as any "ask" is doubly expensive", or that's what we hear.

They seem more than happy to see us not get compensated with a C1 over Christmas, or get significantly less for per diems in some cases. They also get better meal options on the aircraft, often having a breakfast boarded where we have none, then selling the extra passenger meals while neglecting the FlightDeck completely, starving or not. I see it constantly. These are facts, and they are what they are I guess.

Ya, no love lost for the most part.
They also have NO idea how hard we’ve fought for scope over the years, which has also benefited them at no cost. Don’t get me started on their shocking (or willful) ignorance of the chain of command and their place in the food chain…

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

rudder wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:49 am Well, May 30 is turning out to be an interesting date.

2 shots fired by AC over the bow of ALPA represented pilots. Both seemingly related to (early) collective bargaining.

Hope it is coincidence and not intended to set the tone of future discussions.
It’s not coincidence. The tone is being deliberately set.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

Fanblade wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:02 pm
rudder wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:49 am Well, May 30 is turning out to be an interesting date.

2 shots fired by AC over the bow of ALPA represented pilots. Both seemingly related to (early) collective bargaining.

Hope it is coincidence and not intended to set the tone of future discussions.
This is going to backfire, badly. It was a poorly thought out move. We are not the same group as we once were. The market is not the same as it once was. The tide is rising fast all around us, and the newest ALPA pilots --WILL NOT-- be left twisting in the wind.

Doing something like this doesn't go unnoticed by the entire group. It's going to harden our resolve, and quickly. It was a good move for us. The more shots they fire, the less work required to rally the troops.

FWIW... We are absolutely REQUIRED outside our assigned block window to provide VO or draft to make this operation function over the busy summer months. Not suggesting anything at all, but we can draw this out, or be done with this nonsense rather quickly.

I want a bag sticker that has these figures only... 233%

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

Fanblade wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:02 pm
I'd like to thank the company for setting this tone and further uniting the pilots. It's the second best thing they've done this year, after not meeting the WB targets and allowing us to end our contract a year early.

derk99
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by derk99 »

RVR6000 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:12 am I will add: Pilots only in the jumpseat. FAs can figure out their own commute.
I will be sure to not go above and beyond making sure checked bags travel with the B1 cons.

airbussy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airbussy »

Gate agents and FAs celebrating on Yammer the loss of the B1s. How professional.

The things other employee groups get away with saying on Yammer would get a pilot hauled into the office.

"Sorry my jumpseat isn't available" is going to be a pretty common phrase for the next few years.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

What is a B1 and why are the gate agents/FAs celebrating?

eurotrash
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eurotrash »

derk99 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:43 am
RVR6000 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:12 am I will add: Pilots only in the jumpseat. FAs can figure out their own commute.
I will be sure to not go above and beyond making sure checked bags travel with the B1 cons.
Guns outwards

Focus on the people that are paid to pay us less

Internal battles between different labour groups is just plain stupid

Return to “Air Canada”