Negotiations

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Negotiations

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

The sad reality is that even those of us who planned on staying here, are now ready to leave. I hung on for a bit of hope... Now I'm actively looking for a new job, be it Porter, Transat, Westjet, Cargojet, AC or abroad. I have the necessary experience to go on to bigger and better things. I think I'm in a pretty good position to go anywhere I want. The only thing stopping me is really where I live, but that's also not a problem. I will sell the house and move if need be.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by RoAF-Mig21 on Tue May 30, 2023 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Chairman's Update - May 30, 2023

Fellow Pilots,

When Jazz and Air Canada amended the CPA in 2021 during the pandemic, Air Canada agreed that “Jazz will be the exclusive capacity provider to Air Canada for aircraft with 70 to 78 seats until December 31, 2025.” (Paragraph 23 a. of the 2021 Term Sheet; Document available on SEDAR by clicking here)

This morning Air Canada announced that they are entering into an arrangement for additional flying capacity with another airline. PAL Airlines separately announced that they have completed a Letter of Intent with Air Canada to operate up to six Q400 aircraft for up to a five-year term. We expect the aircraft will operate on routes within Nova Scotia and Newfoundland & Labrador, although no schedule has yet been announced.

I ended my last message to you with a comment that “as of today the future looks uncertain.” The future looks uncertain because without meaningful wage increases and a defined career progression, we will continue to lose our ability to deliver block hours as Jazz continues to struggle with attraction and retention. Today’s announcement is indicative of that problem.

We believe that a reasonable agreement with Jazz Pilots will reverse this trend and give us the ability to once again provide Air Canada with a stable regional network. Barring this, our future will remain uncertain.

There are many paths forward from this point. We are in the process of determining next steps in response to this action by Air Canada. The MEC is meeting in-person this week and will communicate any developments.

In solidarity,

Claude

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Claude and the gang sold us on the 17 year contract like it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Said it was job security for those who want to stay and a clear path for those who want to flow to AC. How’s that working out? :wink:

Let’s Go Brandon
truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:08 pm Claude and the gang sold us on the 17 year contract like it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Said it was job security for those who want to stay and a clear path for those who want to flow to AC. How’s that working out? :wink:
I voted against it, because I knew AC was not to be trusted. But it doesn't matter. It is here, it is the reality, and complaining won't fix anything. And if AC is getting this stupid and risk violating the CPA, it means it is working. Think of them as a 3 yr old throwing a tantrum. That is what we are seeing.

GIVCE!
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by GIVCE! »

Oh how this company has changed. For the worse. Let it burn.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

GIVCE! wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:29 pm Oh how this company has changed. For the worse. Let it burn.
And this is what AC and Chorus need to understand. This is how the majority of the pilots feel, and we will not be bullied or scared anymore.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

I have to ask some questions:

1. What's the demand for Jazz and its routes this summer (2023) compared to Summer of 2019? Has demand returned to pre-pandemic levels across the Jazz network?

2. Why has capacity and frequency decreased on some domestic routes that Jazz flies?

As an example:

I was looking at options to fly from YYZ to YQG. I know that route very well, because I flew it often both as passenger and as a pilot. Pre-Covid, during the summer months, Jazz flew 5 x daily on a Q400 (390 seats per day).

It later changed it to 9 x daily on the Dash 8-100 (330 seats per day).

It seems that this summer, Jazz only operates 3x daily to Windsor on the Q400, which equates to about 234 seats per day.

Will the introduction /partnering with other airlines (PAL) free up some "much needed Q400s to be used in Ontario / Quebec? Will frequencies to YQG, YXU, YAM, YSB, YYB and YTS change? Will service to YKG ever come back?

TKTguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TKTguy »

Yesterday we received an update that flying will be reduced in YXU, YYB and YSB this summer. So doesn't look good.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

TKTguy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:43 pm Yesterday we received an update that flying will be reduced in YXU, YYB and YSB this summer. So doesn't look good.
You should see the fall schedule for YVR-US. Virtually all mainline. Used to be nearly 20 Jazz jet flights per day going to US destinations.

Normally, AC would be redeploying the displaced Jazz lift. Now they are just parking the planes. No Jazz pilots to fly them.

This is the state of affairs. No remedy. No effort. No change.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

There have been constant rumours about AC opening an A220 base in YVR. KSAN and YXY (year round), what else would be getting up-gauged?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

TheStig wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:27 pm There have been constant rumours about AC opening an A220 base in YVR. KSAN and YXY (year round), what else would be getting up-gauged?
YVR - SAN/SFO/DEN/PHX/ORD mostly B737 frequencies.

YVR - SJC/DFW never resumed after COVID shutdown.

Jazz will be operating single daily jet flight YVR-SMF.

Jazz currently has 60 76 seat jets in the fleet. No idea how many will still be required for the fall/winter schedule. 15 are third party leases and may be candidates for lease return.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

June 2, 2023

Company Discussions Update

On March 19th the MEC Chair updated the status of negotiations, stating that we had received a counterproposal on wages that was so low we could not respond.

This message is to advise that we have resumed high-level discussions with the Company. Although we are close on some topics, we remain far apart on others. We will continue to keep members updated on important developments.

In solidarity,

JAZ MEC

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

Be ready for nothing

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

rudder wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:52 pm
TKTguy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:43 pm Yesterday we received an update that flying will be reduced in YXU, YYB and YSB this summer. So doesn't look good.
You should see the fall schedule for YVR-US. Virtually all mainline. Used to be nearly 20 Jazz jet flights per day going to US destinations.

Normally, AC would be redeploying the displaced Jazz lift. Now they are just parking the planes. No Jazz pilots to fly them.

It’s all talk and no action at jazz. After the same email for almost a year ‘we continue to talk with the company’ people have lost faith, including myself (I left), that any positive change will happen before there is even more bad news. Most recently being PAL, maybe a base reduction for the next bad news. Overall, with AC doing whatever they want absolutely anything is possible.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:58 am

It’s all talk and no action at jazz. After the same email for almost a year ‘we continue to talk with the company’ people have lost faith, including myself (I left), that any positive change will happen before there is even more bad news. Most recently being PAL, maybe a base reduction for the next bad news. Overall, with AC doing whatever they want absolutely anything is possible.
The August equipment bid will tell everything about the future.

Jazz needs to decide if it wants to be the primary destination for flights schools, or if it wants to function as airline. That distinction will be made once it decides whether it is willing to mark-to-market the pilot pay scale or cling to a fatally flawed CBA that was never going to withstand the test of time.

Status quo will result in even higher attrition rates, more PAL style announcements from AC, and ultimately a dramatically smaller Jazz operation.

Time to make a decision.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

rudder wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:29 am

Jazz needs to decide if it wants to be the primary destination for flights schools, or if it wants to function as airline. That distinction will be made once it decides whether it is willing to mark-to-market the pilot pay scale or cling to a fatally flawed CBA that was never going to withstand the test of time.

Status quo will result in even higher attrition rates, more PAL style announcements from AC, and ultimately a dramatically smaller Jazz operation.

Time to make a decision.

The PAL announcement did nothing to solve any problems, but instead created and exacerbated the ones AC already had. It has done nothing that Jazz is a sinking ship, and made sure no one will come here but those that literally have no other options, while make sure the ones at Jazz that do will leave as fast as they can.

Air Canada is still operating under the idea that everyone wants to work there, and will jump through every hoop or obstacle that AC puts up in their way. But that simply isn't the reality. Pilots in Canada, for the first time, have options.

Considering the amount of red on the board the last few days, it is clear that nothing is going to plan, and that this summer is only going to get worse. They hoped liked hell a recession or Flair failing would allow them to keep running things as they always have. So far advanced bookings remain strong, and Flair isn't going anywhere. They bet wrong, and now they will reap the rewards of their stupidity.

I have a lot of vacation, and plan to enjoy watching it all fall apart as I enjoy my life. They can still save next summer, but the clock is ticking on that as well.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

truedude wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:34 pm

Time to make a decision.

The PAL announcement did nothing to solve any problems, but instead created and exacerbated the ones AC already had. It has done nothing that Jazz is a sinking ship, and made sure no one will come here but those that literally have no other options, while make sure the ones at Jazz that do will leave as fast as they can.

Air Canada is still operating under the idea that everyone wants to work there, and will jump through every hoop or obstacle that AC puts up in their way. But that simply isn't the reality. Pilots in Canada, for the first time, have options.

Considering the amount of red on the board the last few days, it is clear that nothing is going to plan, and that this summer is only going to get worse. They hoped liked hell a recession or Flair failing would allow them to keep running things as they always have. So far advanced bookings remain strong, and Flair isn't going anywhere. They bet wrong, and now they will reap the rewards of their stupidity.

I have a lot of vacation, and plan to enjoy watching it all fall apart as I enjoy my life. They can still save next summer, but the clock is ticking on that as well.

It's not an "idea" when they have no problem filling classes and you have 10+ year WJ FOs quitting to join AC. Lots of my contemporaries that bitched about the low pat at AC, still said yes when the job offer arrived.

They're not operating under any ideas, they're operating on hard facts.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:44 pm

Time to make a decision.

It's not an "idea" when they have no problem filling classes and you have 10+ year WJ FOs quitting to join AC. Lots of my contemporaries that bitched about the low pat at AC, still said yes when the job offer arrived.

For now, but I don't see many coming from Westjet anymore for that crap pay.

And people will not endure crap pay at Jazz to get there, which is really the only lure Jazz has. That is gone. Those days are gone. And if Air Canada wants a regional feed, they need to get with the program and stop screwing around.

And AC has started to see people leave too. It might not be many, but it is more than they have ever had.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

truedude wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:00 pm

And people will not endure crap pay at Jazz to get there, which is really the only lure Jazz has. That is gone. Those days are gone. And if Air Canada wants a regional feed, they need to get with the program and stop screwing around.

And AC has started to see people leave too. It might not be many, but it is more than they have ever had.
I would also not completely rule out an AC/TRZ round 2 discussion.

Canada is evolving back to a duopoly (think CDN/AC) with some fringe carriers which will largely exist in the ULCC segment. Canada’s population base cannot sustain the multitude of carriers that are proposing ‘growth’ initiatives.

TRZ presents hundreds of potential pilots for AC in achieving its 6000 pilot goal with less consequence if AC is forced to drop positions of the TRZ route network to satisfy anti-competition concerns.

If WJ can gobble up SWG then AC can gobble up TRZ. And it can still be had for a bargain basement price.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

rudder wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:16 am
truedude wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:00 pm

I would also not completely rule out an AC/TRZ round 2 discussion.

Canada is evolving back to a duopoly (think CDN/AC) with some fringe carriers which will largely exist in the ULCC segment. Canada’s population base cannot sustain the multitude of carriers that are proposing ‘growth’ initiatives.

TRZ presents hundreds of potential pilots for AC in achieving its 6000 pilot goal with less consequence if AC is forced to drop positions of the TRZ route network to satisfy anti-competition concerns.

If WJ can gobble up SWG then AC can gobble up TRZ. And it can still be had for a bargain basement price.
I don't think so. The only way forward is to pay more. But I look forward to them testing your theory and seeing where it gets them

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”