Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

dh89
Rank 1
Rank 1

Any US Visa success stories?

Post by dh89 »

Hawdy ya'll
Just wondering if anyone has successfully done a US visa application? Which route did they take to acquiring it?
We are hearing lots about the NIW visa but haven't really heard of success stories- maybe a couple of people being either sponsored or have 1837493728464 hours in their logbook? I also did some meetings with multiple law firms and apparently they are all the best law firm to ever exist on earth- but when you ask them about their success stats with pilots suddenly they wiggle and twist their way around the answer. I mean, Your firm can easily have an 80% approval rate if most of your applicants are nurses. Or maybe I'm just ignorant.. I dont know.
No body likes a money grab when it comes to their hard earned money. Would love to hear some stories if anyone cares to share. Best of luck to you all :)
---------- ADS -----------

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Any US Visa success stories?

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

dh89 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:48 pm Hawdy ya'll
Just wondering if anyone has successfully done a US visa application? Which route did they take to acquiring it?
We are hearing lots about the NIW visa but haven't really heard of success stories- maybe a couple of people being either sponsored or have 1837493728464 hours in their logbook? I also did some meetings with multiple law firms and apparently they are all the best law firm to ever exist on earth- but when you ask them about their success stats with pilots suddenly they wiggle and twist their way around the answer. I mean, Your firm can easily have an 80% approval rate if most of your applicants are nurses. Or maybe I'm just ignorant.. I dont know.
No body likes a money grab when it comes to their hard earned money. Would love to hear some stories if anyone cares to share. Best of luck to you all :)
I would highly stay away from the NIW and anyone that advertises it to you. Unless you have talked to an American recruiter and can fill the role that they need, such a a 777 ACP, then save the thousands of dollars in lawyers and legal filing fees. If you want the quickest way to obtain a GC, marry an American.

Keep an eye out for the political climate in the US as well. Trump admin blocked nearly all of the non family visa/immigration streams during his term. Should he or a republican president be elected again, I imagine similar blocks will be enforced.

scaredpax
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by scaredpax »

Visit the official website of the US Consulate and fill out the electronic form DS-160. This is a mandatory step and requires the provision of personal information, travel details, and other details. Also, try to get a tourist visa first and visit the place where you want to go. I usually do this when I want to live somewhere else. Now it is very easy to find accommodation in another city, with the help of services such as ecommercefastlane.com. This helps me understand if I want to live permanently in the city that I liked.

Last edited by scaredpax on Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
considering a PPL
Howitzer
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Howitzer »

The DS-160 is for a NON-Immigrant Visa application. If you are inquiring about the EB-2 NIW Visa, it is an IMMIGRANT Visa, meaning it has a path to Citizenship or Permanent Residency.

Don't waste your time on this forum trying to figure something out as critical and life changing as moving and working in another country. It's full of people who haven't read or understand the options available to someone in a particular circumstance. This is why people use lawyers, to tailor the application to their particular needs and abilities. All too often i've heard "i'm applying for my Visa", my follow up question of "where are you in the process?" typically leads to an answer of "ughhhh well i'm looking at the documents". Everyone is applying, yet very few are actually applying and understand the complete process.

You would be better served in learning how to hire a good lawyer (should you choose that route) or reading all of the different Visa companies free information, and the USCIS website.

Here are some links with FACTUAL information for the EB-2 NIW, right from the source, USCIS:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... tml#second
http://www.uscis.gov/i-140
http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-sta ... rence-eb-2

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I'm filing the I-140 petition along with supporting evidence myself. That is the first step in the EB-2 NIW application. The DS-260 comes after the I-140 is approved. It will take me a few months to put together the I-140 package and I foresee the entire package being 3-400 pages long. The filing fee with USCIS is $700 USD.

The reason I didn't use a lawyer (~$10K USD) is because I am on the lower end of experience plus I'm on flat pay so I couldn't afford to lose 10K without a high likelihood of success. Worst case I get turned down and try again in two years when I have more experience and a better shot at success.

I'm not a lawyer however I think that any reasonably intelligent person can figure it out, it's not overly difficult.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum on Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

AvCanada is usually full of incorrect information and bullshit opinions. Yes do your homework...definitely don't rely on this website for accurate information on ANY topic.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”