When will sensible rules be put in place?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

When will sensible rules be put in place?

Post by rookiepilot »

….So that people need not sue. This is ridiculous, even for Westjet, if accurate.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9744225/b-c- ... ed-flight/

Richmond says they boarded WestJet flight 1417 on Dec. 23, 2022, and left at 5:45 p.m., and that they landed in Calgary at 9:27 p.m., two hours before their connecting flight to Kelowna at 11:30 p.m.

Upon our arrival in Calgary, we discovered that our connecting flight to Kelowna had not yet departed. However, shortly after landing, we received a text notification stating that our tickets to Kelowna had been cancelled.”

Richmond says they approached a WestJet employee who informed them that their tickets had been given to other passengers under the assumption that they might arrive too late.

“We requested alternative arrangements and were informed that no available flights were available for at least four days,” wrote Richmond.

“We were instructed to wait for further communication from WestJet via text or phone call regarding rebooking. Unfortunately, no such communication was ever received.”

However, since our flight was not officially cancelled, we were denied a hotel voucher,” wrote Richmond.

“I explained to the staff that my daughter has cerebral palsy and that extended time spent in an airport would adversely affect her health, especially considering the importance of regular sleep.

“Shockingly, we were accused of feigning a disability, and the staff informed us that they would never ‘help us again.’”

Despite presenting this information to WestJet employees, our baggage was unavailable for retrieval,” wrote Richmond.

“Numerous attempts, both via phone and in-person visits, were made to acquire our belongings, but to this day, even after initiating a claim, we have not received our property.”
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: When will sensible rules be put in place?

Post by CpnCrunch »

You never hear about the vast majority of these claims because they are normally settled between the airline and plaintiffs during the CRT medication process, with an NDA being signed.

But in this case the article (and perhaps court case too) has some serious errors. Flight 1417 actually arrived at 23:53, long after their connecting flight was due to depart. It sounds like it was delayed too, but that doesn't mean they can get on it (especially if they have baggage).

https://www.flightera.net/en/flight/Wes ... light_list

Whether or not they will get any compensation depends on the reason for the delay, and I'm not sure what "flight crew mix-up" means.

For claims like this it's important to have all the facts and evidence in hand before even thinking of starting the process. If the facts support the claim, you'll get a full settlement offer during mediation and the airline will have wasted a lot of time and money. If not, you'll have wasted your own time and money.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

The least airlines can do in such case is give people their bags back for the overnight. I had a similar experience many years ago on a different airline. It might be 'industry standard' but it is absolutely lousy customer service.

I wonder why people are more and more inclined to take huge carry ons on board hmmm.....

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Accusing your own customers of faking a disability :?
There used to be a time that WJ was known for its CS ... used to be the alternative to the soulless red machine.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"

Return to “General Comments”