Approximate net pay for new f/o on Q ?

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Approximate net pay for new f/o on Q ?

Post by pitottubey »

agreed. 48k a year is embarrassing for an airline pilot.
---------- ADS -----------

cjp
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cjp »

pitottubey wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:39 am agreed. 48k a year is embarrassing for an airline pilot.
Legitimate question, no sarcasm - what would pay have to come up to on the Q for it to be reasonable or industry leading, keeping in mind the experience that will generally be occupying the right seat going forward?

Devils advocate, Air Canada, for now and hopefully not too much longer, still pays its 1st year highly experienced 777/787 pilots 57k a year, rounding up I believe.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

cjp wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:12 am
pitottubey wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:39 am agreed. 48k a year is embarrassing for an airline pilot.
Legitimate question, no sarcasm - what would pay have to come up to on the Q for it to be reasonable or industry leading, keeping in mind the experience that will generally be occupying the right seat going forward?

Devils advocate, Air Canada, for now and hopefully not too much longer, still pays its 1st year highly experienced 777/787 pilots 57k a year, rounding up I believe.
well, encore pays their Q400 yr1 FOs 59k with the current MOA, so that sounds like a reasonable number to start with given today's current cost of living... for that matter, no 705 FO on a Q or similar sized aircraft, should be making less then 55-60k a year... yes, let's not talk about AC and their flat pay, we all know how atrocious and terrible it is, and it will (most likely) be gone by next year

cjp
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cjp »

twa22 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:44 am
cjp wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:12 am

well, encore pays their Q400 yr1 FOs 59k with the current MOA, so that sounds like a reasonable number to start with given today's current cost of living... for that matter, no 705 FO on a Q or similar sized aircraft, should be making less then 55-60k a year... yes, let's not talk about AC and their flat pay, we all know how atrocious and terrible it is, and it will (most likely) be gone by next year
Agreed! Sorry for bringing it up. Hopefully it will be a thing of the past by Q4 2023.

59k would certainly be more reasonable and a great starting point. I hope it comes to fruition later this year for my colleagues managing that side of the company - if not earlier.

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

No Dash-8 F/O should be making less than $70K. In 1997 I went to Air Nova and was making $34K/year which in todays dollars is $64K. That was on a 100 Classic.

I left Jazz in 2004 as a 6 year captain making $84K, which equates to $134K now days.

What the hell have the pilots unions been doing for the last 20 years? Pilot wages in Canada are absolutely atrocious, and embarrassing. Don’t even get me going on the AC flat pay.

Chelsea Handler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chelsea Handler »

WF9F wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:38 am Companies , all companies not just Porter, really have to improve new hire pay, $50 an hour?? That’s not near enough..
45k a year with full time equivalent duty hours would be my guess of what that works out to. So less than 1000 a month over min wage, living in one of the most expensive cities. Ouch.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

Chelsea Handler wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:38 am
WF9F wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:38 am Companies , all companies not just Porter, really have to improve new hire pay, $50 an hour?? That’s not near enough..
45k a year with full time equivalent duty hours would be my guess of what that works out to. So less than 1000 a month over min wage, living in one of the most expensive cities. Ouch.
pretty close guess, its 48k. To answer the above questions, I think at minimum 70k is what any Q400 FO should be starting at.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

That's sad, because as a B-200 F/O, I'm making $97,000...flying 330 hours a year, and have been that way for the last six years! Prior to that, I was consistently in the upper $80's..meanwhile you guys/people are working harder for much less...People..get your shit together!

Keep the dirty side down.

Return to “Porter Airlines”