One dead, one injured in helicopter.maintenance accident

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

One dead, one injured in helicopter.maintenance accident

Post by rigpiggy »

https://www.interior-news.com/news/one- ... s-airport/

Told when pilot started to pull collective the bird spun around and struck the AME and apprentice with the tail rotor
---------- ADS -----------

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: One dead, one injured in helicopter.maintenance accident

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

rigpiggy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:49 pm https://www.interior-news.com/news/one- ... s-airport/

Told when pilot started to pull collective the bird spun around and struck the AME and apprentice with the tail rotor
Lots of rumours going around, the AME is severely injured and the apprentice is dead. Either way it’s a tragedy for all involved including the immediate families, pilot, and company. Hopefully this will at the very least result in safety improvements for the industry. Stay safe out there this season fellow AME’s

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Horrible event! Terrible that many people will deeply affected by this.

How could the pilot lose control of the tail rotor on the ground?

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

Strobing/balancing the tail rotor comes to mind, as to how it happened though I haven’t a clue. Such an awful event. Hopefully it can be used as a reminder for everyone to be vigilant around a running machine.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

MOAB wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:02 pm Strobing/balancing the tail rotor comes to mind, as to how it happened though I haven’t a clue. Such an awful event. Hopefully it can be used as a reminder for everyone to be vigilant around a running machine.
If a helicopter breaks loose ALWAYS stay with the airframe (preferably under the belly or in the cab if the doors are open), less damage is likely that way to personnel IMO, but it’s just that, an opinion. Working around any helicopter during runs has inherent risks and an extreme amount of mutual trust between pilot and maintenance staff. Agreed it’s traumatic results but hopefully won’t be in complete vain if increased safety measures / are resultant.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

A sadly vivid reminder that when you apply power to an aircraft, you must consider where the aircraft could go if the power application results in unintended motion. I did today, and it started to go there - no problem, I had planned - but there was unintended motion, until I aborted and stopped it.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

PilotDAR wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:54 pm A sadly vivid reminder that when you apply power to an aircraft, you must consider where the aircraft could go if the power application results in unintended motion. I did today, and it started to go there - no problem, I had planned - but there was unintended motion, until I aborted and stopped it.
True. In addition, a bit of paranoia is good to have. It is easy to get focused inside when doing a run instead of repeated outside looks, every few seconds. It caught me moving unintentionally toward some aircraft due to my improperly applying brakes a couple of days ago.

Obviously helicopter ops would have significant differences from airplanes but I am sure there are some parallels.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

J31 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:39 pm How could the pilot lose control of the tail rotor on the ground?
From the gossip I have heard, The engineers were balancing the short shaft and some sort of failure with the yaw compensator and hydraulic system occurred. Balancing the short shaft you are no where near the tail rotor, but that's not to say one person was standing back in the path of the tail when it spun around and the other person was up close to the fuselage on the end of the strobe. Pure speculation.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

SeptRepair wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:45 am
J31 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:39 pm How could the pilot lose control of the tail rotor on the ground?
From the gossip I have heard, The engineers were balancing the short shaft and some sort of failure with the yaw compensator and hydraulic system occurred. Balancing the short shaft you are no where near the tail rotor, but that's not to say one person was standing back in the path of the tail when it spun around and the other person was up close to the fuselage on the end of the strobe. Pure speculation.
If the machine starts to spin and you start to run…. Very close to tailrotor

Trunorth
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Trunorth »

Very sad, thoughts go out to all involved. I hope the report of the events comes out soon so we all can learn and ensure this never happens again. Is this under OHAS ,TC or other?

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”