Air Canada pilot not giving back the item I paid for nor my money

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air Canada pilot not giving back the item I paid for nor my money

Post by tose »

I found Lindsay, who was selling an aviation headset mic.
He is based in YYZ and lives in Etobicoke.
I asked for his email so I could send an e-transfer to have him delete the ad.
He provided me with his email address.
I then inquired if he could drop it off at Canada Post, and I assured him that I would cover the postage.
I asked him once and he declined, stating that he didn't have time for that.
So, I informed him that I would pick it up myself the next day and sent him the money, which he accepted.
However, he suddenly informed me that he was not selling it to me anymore because there was another buyer.
He raised the price on the ad and asked for my email address.
I insisted that I had already paid for it and that he had accepted my payment, so the item should be mine.
I had invested a significant amount of time researching the item and its compatibility, and I was in the process of purchasing the headphone that goes with the mic.
Despite this, he repeatedly asked for my email or threatened to block me.
I continued to stress that I needed the mic, but he responded by calling me an f***** idiot and telling me to f*** off.
It has now been over two months, and he still has my headset mic and my money.
No reversal of the e-transfer has been initiated.
I then sent my email address for a refund multiple times, but the guy is not responding.
This was exactly my thought, as he would have done a reversal if he really wanted to refund my money.
He never had an intention to refund my money.
This individual's behavior raises serious concerns about his suitability in the cockpit.
I now have to waste more time filing a police report and contacting Air Canada.
I wonder if he thinks it was worth it at this point.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by tose on Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Air Canada pilot not giving back the item I paid for nor my money

Post by digits_ »

Right. How do you suspect him to give back your money without you giving him your email?

It sucks he changed his mind, but sounds like he wants to give you your money back. What do you think a post on avcanada will accomplish?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
tose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tose »

He told me that I could have reversed the payment, so he definitely knows that a reversal is possible.
I asked my bank and found out it was a lie. Recipients can. Senders can't.
If he wanted to return my money, he would have initiated a payment reversal long time ago.
He blocked my number and said he will report for harassment, so I'm not able to contact him.

Last edited by tose on Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

tose wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:51 pm If he wanted to return my money, he would have initiated a payment reversal.
On an e-transfer? I doubt that's possible. My bank doesn't allow me to send anyone an e-transfer without an email address or recently a cellphone number.

Just give the guy your email. Why don't you want to do that?

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

tose wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:51 pm He told me that I could have reversed the payment (I asked my bank and found out it was a lie. Recipients can. Senders can't), so he definitely knows that a reversal is possible.
If he wanted to return my money, he would have initiated a payment reversal long time ago.
I can cancel an e-transfer for a $5 fee through my bank (TD). You should just do that. Unless she or he has autodeposit enabled. In that case you will need to give an email address to them to return your money.

tose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tose »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:54 pm
tose wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:51 pm If he wanted to return my money, he would have initiated a payment reversal.
On an e-transfer? I doubt that's possible. My bank doesn't allow me to send anyone an e-transfer without an email address or recently a cellphone number.

Just give the guy your email. Why don't you want to do that?
Sure you can. Go ask your bank.
I don't feel safe giving my email to the guy at this point.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

tose wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:10 pm
I don't feel safe giving my email to the guy at this point.
Then you're not getting your money back.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

tose wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:33 pm I found Lindsay P, who is selling an aviation headset mic.
I then inquired if he could drop it off at Canada Post, and I assured him that I would cover the postage.
So, I informed him that I would pick it up myself the next day and sent him the money, which he accepted.
However, he suddenly informed me that he was not selling it to me anymore because there was another buyer.
I insisted that I had already paid for it and that he had accepted my payment, so the item should be mine.
I had invested a significant amount of time researching the item and its compatibility, and I was in the process of purchasing the headphone that goes with the mic.
I continued to stress that I needed the mic, but he responded by calling me an f***** idiot and telling me to f*** off.
This individual's behavior raises serious concerns about his suitability in the cockpit.
Would it be possible for someone to send me a private message with the email address for the flight operations manager?
Thank you in advance.
Give the guy your email and Just take your money back man. You’d rather lose all of it? There’s no law saying he owes you anything. You e transferred it, you might as well have used western union. If he’s willing to send it back, then what are you waiting for? Pony up or shut up.

Also: edit 1

Why did you send the entire payment for an item you have 1) not seen or 2) not accepted

Send a small deposit if anything.

Last edited by CaptDukeNukem on Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Don’t you have his address? Wait for him after a pairing and Go play a game of fisty cuffs. Settle up, ol’ Wild West style.

Disclaimer: I do not endorse violence. Fisty cuffs could be anything.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Sounds like the seller might not have been completely wrong about things.

What do you think he's going to do with your email address?

If you're that worried about it, create a new email address and use that.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I don't know any bank that allows a "reversal" after the fact unless it's accompanied by a reviewed and accepted police fraud report. Even then, it's only good if the account is still open and there's money in it.
Once the payment is accepted and deposited that's it. It even states that to that effect in the email. I do a lot of business via e-transfer and have also had to go down the fraud road. It has to be succinct, premeditated and malicious. Can take a year for a detective to review your file.

Sounds like you obviously want the item more than getting your money back, but if the guy isn't gonna sell it to you, why not just allow him to send the $$ back and move on sourcing somewhere else? Quite the hill to die on.

Use PayPal if you have concerns. I always do if I'm dealing with something at a distance.

Last edited by DanWEC on Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Also are you sure this person is even an Air Canada pilot and not just a scammer from another country ?

Bluewaffe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bluewaffe »

Which mic is it? Can you not buy that new? Why do you want his so bad?

Did you guys sign a piece of paper stating that if you e transferred him, the mic belongs to you then?

Why don’t you want to give him your email? Do you think he’s gonna try to ask you to hangout every night? Maybe new job opportunities? I mean he gave his to you.

You want your money back, but you refuse to allow him to give your money back?

I’d say he blocked you because you “continues to stress” about how he has your headset and your money but do not allow him to send your money back. And I think his ACP can assess his “suitability” in the cockpit not some guy who lacks common sense.

What do you expect to do with the operation managers phone number? :lol: do you really think he has time to answer some random phone call just to hear the dumbest crap?

Thanks for keeping avcanada comical

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

tose wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:33 pm I found Lindsay, who was selling an aviation headset mic.
Would it be possible for someone to send me a private message with the email address for the flight operations manager?
Thank you in advance.
Unless he set up auto-deposit on etransfers, you can certainly cancel them. If auto-deposit is active for him, then he would need your email to e-transfer you back, the same way you needed his email to e-transfer him. Given the way you've written this post, it appears you may have made this unnecessarily difficult for you and him. I don't agree with how he handled it by calling you an effin idiot and eff off but you certainly could have covered your own ass by either providing the email for him to refund you or gone and seen the item before handing over your money so easily.

In either case I certainly hope nobody provides you a managers email address to settle this. Do you think he has the time or care to deal with marketplace transactions? It also isn't even his business.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Hold on here,

Let’s get this strait…

You entered into a transaction with this person, things went sideways and you’re now pissed? I get that. I would be as well.

With that said, contacting anyone’s manager/employer about a private transaction, is much more than harassment. It’s biased libel/slander and you would open yourself up to a fair bit of liability should you choose to go down that avenue.

I’d tread lightly or even better yet, abandon such a notion if I were in your shoes.

The icing on the cake is that you actually believe that anyone whom works for said company would enable or help you with a contact name/#…

There’s got to be more to your story. Furthermore I doubt you’ll get much sympathy or assistance from aviation professionals on this forum.

My advice; cut your losses, chalk it up to an unfortunate PRIVATE transaction that soured and go out and buy what you wanted brand new.

All the best,

TPC

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:00 pm With that said, contacting anyone’s manager/employer about a private transaction, is much more than harassment. It’s biased libel/slander and you would open yourself up to a fair bit of liability should you choose to go down that avenue.
Truth is an absolute defence.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

But even in that case, let's say you somehow talks to the manager, and the manager somehow agrees to talk to the pilot, you'll still end up with "I'd love to send the money back, but the guy doesn't want to give me his email address". If you don't want to share your email, I doubt you'd want to share your address to get a cheque in the mail, or your bank account info to receive a wire transfer.

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

photofly wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:01 pm Truth is an absolute defence.
“This person’s behaviour raises serious concerns about his suitability in the cockpit.”

Is not truth. It’s one’s opinion. And stating it publicly on a public forum, including the company for who he flies and the individual’s name is the type of thing that can start a slander lawsuit.

Go on, go off mewling to the VP of Flight Ops, you may well end up facing Air Canada’s legal team. I’m sure they don’t give a rat’s ass about your failed transaction, but they sure as hell don’t want you publicly slandering one of their pilots on a public forum.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

1) assuming that the OP's facts are correct, the parties entered into a contract and the seller is obligated to sell to the buyer at the agreed upon price. If you do that with a house you WILL get sued. No difference as a matter of law.
2) complaining on an aviation forum and wanting to complain to the guys boss is such a Karen thing to do.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Rather than contact his boss to get him in trouble have you considered asking your mom to talk to his mom? Maybe if your mom talks with his mom he'll get grounded or better yet a spanking.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Return to “Air Canada”