Future AME Discouraged

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Future AME Discouraged

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

all_ramped_up wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:03 pm Wow.

Tell us how you really feel. But in less words than Homer's Iliad please. :roll:

We have plenty of transferrable skills. I had to use them during the Pandemic lockdowns. Apparently we can work high steel and build gondolas.
He’s clearly as pissed off as most should be but more vocal about it lol. And yes we all have technical ability to apply to other facets in life. I know a few guys recently I came across at a local watering hole that are ames that have recently stepped away from a company in the helicopter world and without work to contemplate their next move in life. These gentlemen have >20 years experience and management capacity for their CV’s. Both left without a job and both will not come back to the industry in any sort of full time capacity. The industry is really leaning hard on foreign talent but as the other poster has divulged (as a global transplant) even immigrants are seeing how crap things are. The next move by industry will be another disingenuous crap campaign at the college and social media level.
---------- ADS -----------

ludivicchua
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Future AME Discouraged

Post by ludivicchua »

Here is the reality: You don't make enough money working as an Apprentice or a non-certifying AME. You have to pay for your endorsements and sign for the work. They will pay you between $30/hr to $50/hr maximum to do that depending on your experience. They have to produce experienced AMEs, and how do you do that with low starting pay? Nobody will want to work as an AME Apprentice or a non-certifying AME for the rest of their life with the ridiculously low pay associated with them! Nobody will even work to climb up to or work as a certifying AME with it's associated responsibilities and expenses for $50/hr maximum pay rate! This salary offer is standard in the industry and remained unchanged since I entered the workforce 10 years ago! The pay just doesn't compensate us enough to even make a living out of this work! No wonder they are having difficulties attracting recruits and retaining workers! Nobody will do this job with it's terrible working condition and low pay! This job is broken since we have a progressive tax system in Canada and the airlines are not subsidizing our incurred expenses, leaving you with lower net pay. This job is just not worth doing! If you decide to do it, then they just passed you the headaches!

Speaking of the pay, the rates are like that because the airline industry is globally competitive towards low costs. We also have a rising fuel cost which is an increase of expense to the airlines operating at already low profit margin! If you look at the airline fees compared to 10 years ago, nothing has changed--in fact, it even got a little cheaper! Seriously, with the inflation? And we also have to realize that maintenance has nothing to do with production as it doesn't generate revenue for the airlines, it is a separate department that has to do with necessary operating expenses, so ofcourse they will trim down spending in it as it has no effect on their revenue! Overall the airline industry don't even make enough money for a high-risk business that requires big investments! Do you want to put your future on an unstable and unlucrative industry such as this?

It's the worst career to get into and I had a terrible experience getting into it! It sucks and I see no future in it!
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Maintenance”