Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: SkyLink pilot union takes pay cut & b scale

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Stable_Approach wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:26 pm
Cavalier44 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:58 pm Honestly, what type of pilot is taking a job at SkyLink in today's hiring market? I feel the same way about pilots who work at SkyLink as I do about those who stayed on with "Pivot" after Air Georgian closed up shop - that is to say, there has to be something significantly wrong with either your personality or your resumé for you to get stuck working at this kind of outfit, given that basically every airline in the country is hiring.

If I was involved in the hiring department at any large 705 operator in Canada, seeing previous employment at these kinds of companies would be a major red flag in a candidate.
What an arrogant comment. Fortunately for the industry, you have not been chosen to look after hiring at any company and I hope it stays that way. Hopefully no one will have to endure long flights with the likes of you. God help them if they do. Imagine thinking you know anything about of group of your peers because of the company they work for. You don’t know squat about anyone or their situation heck you don’t even know how to conduct yourself professionally.

But to answer your question, pilots coming into Skylink are mostly sub-1000 hour getting left seat turbine time with less than 1000 hours and are rapidly recruited by the companies such as Porter, Jazz, AC, Transat, Westjet, Sunwing, Flair, Lynx and Cargojet. So you’re saying you’re better than all those recruiters? Instead of hating on a group you don’t know maybe work on your attitude some cause you just nasty and bitter.
Nobody hires pilots from SkyLink.
---------- ADS -----------

citabriaguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by citabriaguy »

I have not been a part of that org. Seems they do the routes without autopilot or gps, start before their day before and finish after many pilots, load and unload their freight and only get on wing training.

If a low hour pilot can hack it there why wouldn't he or she be able to do it with months of sim training, an autopilot and all the the nice toys??

dillpickle
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dillpickle »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:48 am
Cavalier44 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:58 pm Honestly, what type of pilot is taking a job at SkyLink in today's hiring market? I feel the same way about pilots who work at SkyLink as I do about those who stayed on with "Pivot" after Air Georgian closed up shop - that is to say, there has to be something significantly wrong with either your personality or your resumé for you to get stuck working at this kind of outfit, given that basically every airline in the country is hiring.

If I was involved in the hiring department at any large 705 operator in Canada, seeing previous employment at these kinds of companies would be a major red flag in a candidate.
What an arrogant comment. Fortunately for the industry, you have not been chosen to look after hiring at any company and I hope it stays that way. Hopefully no one will have to endure long flights with the likes of you. God help them if they do. Imagine thinking you know anything about of group of your peers because of the company they work for. You don’t know squat about anyone or their situation heck you don’t even know how to conduct yourself professionally.

But to answer your question, pilots coming into Skylink are mostly sub-1000 hour getting left seat turbine time with less than 1000 hours and are rapidly recruited by the companies such as Porter, Jazz, AC, Transat, Westjet, Sunwing, Flair, Lynx and Cargojet. So you’re saying you’re better than all those recruiters? Instead of hating on a group you don’t know maybe work on your attitude some cause you just nasty and bitter.
I know one who went direct to WestJet recently. As in within the last few months.

Stable_Approach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Stable_Approach »

dillpickle wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:27 am

I know one who went direct to WestJet recently. As in within the last few months.
Two just left for Porter and another one is an AC 777 FO as new hire.
It’s faster to get into WJ through Skylink than Encore but a few years.

scabbydoo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by scabbydoo »

Stable_Approach wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:13 am
dillpickle wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:27 am

Two just left for Porter and another one is an AC 777 FO as new hire.
It’s faster to get into WJ through Skylink than Encore but a few years.
From the lowest paid 1900 CA to the lowest paid WB FO.

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

On the contrary, the majority of their pilots are hired by the airlines eventually which is why their retention is so poor. Most will leave before their bond is up.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

First step CBA, second step fire Unifor and get ALPA, next step build a better CBA. It may not feel like a step forward, but hopefully future Skylink drivers will stay united just long enough to make it a better place before moving on. It may take a slowdown in airline hiring for a few people to be there long enough, and be willing to walk the line, to make real improvements.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Yikes!! This is the first pay degradation I've heard of in recent history!! That is embarrassing!! I sincerely hope people avoid that operation. Nothing against their pilots, two of them have been my colleagues and were a pleasure to fly with. But that operation needs to disappear.

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

flying4dollars wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:44 pm Yikes!! This is the first pay degradation I've heard of in recent history!! That is embarrassing!! I sincerely hope people avoid that operation. Nothing against their pilots, two of them have been my colleagues and were a pleasure to fly with. But that operation needs to disappear.
Almost all of the pilots that were involved in that CBA are gone. Pilots at Skylink dont stick around now longer than 12-18 months before being picked up by a 705 carrier. Pilots used to stick around for 3+ years and my thoughts are that the captain pay was increased for those already on property at the time at the cost of future employees. It doesn't make sense to even have a CBA there but it is what it is and the pilots are there to get their PIC turbine and two-crew time and move on.

HFNav
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by HFNav »

CanadaAir wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:19 am Prior to new agreement
FCM Annual Base Salaries will be as follows:
• B190 CA = $67500
• B190 FO = $34000
• C208 CA = $43000

New 2023 agreement
• B190 CA = $64000
• B190 FO = $32500
• C208 CA = $42000

FCM Per Diems**
All FCM’s will receive per diems as follows:
• No per diem for first four hours away from home base.
• $3.45 per hour for hours in excess of four (4) hours, up to a maximum of $69.00 per day

Bond:
FIFTEEN THOUSAND, SEVEN HUNDRED. NINETY Canadian Dollars (CAD $15,790.00)
The Trainee agrees to pay SkyLink Express Inc. all legal fees incurred for the enforcement of any of the provisions of this Agreement

All new hires shall be paid a flat training allowance of $305/week until line indoc is complete (or the first revenue flight for FOs);. The training allowance shall max out at $1,540.99.

From the contract

17.4 The calculation of a FCM's hourly rate calculation is as follows: FCM's Annual Salary per Appendix 'A' divided by 52 weeks, divided by 40 hours.

B190 FO = $32500

$32500 divided by 52 weeks - $625 per week

$625 per week divided by 40 hours - $15.625 per hour

That would be $1 below the current federal minimum

"To keep pace with inflation, the federal minimum wage will increase from $15.55 to $16.65 per hour on April 1, 2023."

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... ril-1.html

Anyone know if there're other companies still paying below the federal minimum wage for pilots?
Why would a union allow this?

Pacific Coastal is paying $20,000 higher in their B1900 job post - $52.08/Credit Hour ($50,000/year minimum base salary)
Why work for $20,000 less for the same B1900 job?

viewtopic.php?t=206619

Last edited by HFNav on Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Me262
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Me262 »

HFNav wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:25 am
CanadaAir wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:19 am Prior to new agreement
• B190 CA = $67500
• B190 FO = $34000
• C208 CA = $43000

New 2023 agreement
• B190 CA = $64000
• B190 FO = $32500
• C208 CA = $42000

FCM Per Diems**
All FCM’s will receive per diems as follows:
• No per diem for first four hours away from home base.
• $3.45 per hour for hours in excess of four (4) hours, up to a maximum of $69.00 per day

Bond:
FIFTEEN THOUSAND, SEVEN HUNDRED. NINETY Canadian Dollars (CAD $15,790.00)
The Trainee agrees to pay SkyLink Express Inc. all legal fees incurred for the enforcement of any of the provisions of this Agreement

All new hires shall be paid a flat training allowance of $305/week until line indoc is complete (or the first revenue flight for FOs);. The training allowance shall max out at $1,540.99.

From the contract

17.4 The calculation of a FCM's hourly rate calculation is as follows: FCM's Annual Salary per Appendix 'A' divided by 52 weeks, divided by 40 hours.

B190 FO = $32500

$32500 divided by 52 weeks - $625 per week

$625 per week divided by 40 hours - $15.625 per hour

That would be $1 below the current federal minimum

"To keep pace with inflation, the federal minimum wage will increase from $15.55 to $16.65 per hour on April 1, 2023."

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... ril-1.html

Anyone know if there're other companies still paying below the federal minimum wage for pilots?
Why would a union allow this?

Pacific Coastal is paying $20,000 higher in their B1900 job post - $52.08/Credit Hour ($50,000/year minimum base salary)
Why work for $20,000 less for the same B1900 job?

viewtopic.php?t=206619
$10.000 more higher until you hit 1000hrs. Still better with better bases

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Who the hell voted yes to this pile of dog shit?

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Cessna 180 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:22 am Who the hell voted yes to this pile of dog shit?
The pilots who have already left I assume.

stickjockey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stickjockey »

I was one of those who recently did my time there and left for the airlines. Working conditions were pretty good. The people there are great. We voted on the contract, and the majority voted it in, but it is what it is. Can't really complain about a voted-in contract and it's their first one. Yes, wages can most definitely be better. I'm sure it'll get better. The pay is an increase from before. I have to say, it's the best learning and flying experience a pilot will ever have there. The pilots there want to help you grow. Helped me greatly in an airline environment.
Most of us have gone directly to the 705 airline jet route and a couple went the corporate jet route.

Whoever is shitting on the company doesn't know what they are talking about. I quite enjoyed it!

Stable_Approach
Rank 2
Rank 2

stickjockey wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:46 am I was one of those who recently did my time there and left for the airlines. Working conditions were pretty good. The people there are great. We voted on the contract, and the majority voted it in, but it is what it is. Can't really complain about a voted-in contract and it's their first one. Yes, wages can most definitely be better. I'm sure it'll get better. The pay is an increase from before. I have to say, it's the best learning and flying experience a pilot will ever have there. The pilots there want to help you grow. Helped me greatly in an airline environment.
Most of us have gone directly to the 705 airline jet route and a couple went the corporate jet route.

Whoever is shitting on the company doesn't know what they are talking about. I quite enjoyed it!
I second this. Laid back and very supportive group. Good place to learn and learn you will. Where else can you go left seat on a +12.5 machine at 800TT. Work 2-3 days a week and flying is never boring. Will probably miss it when I leave.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Stable_Approach wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:28 pm
stickjockey wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:46 am I was one of those who recently did my time there and left for the airlines. Working conditions were pretty good. The people there are great. We voted on the contract, and the majority voted it in, but it is what it is. Can't really complain about a voted-in contract and it's their first one. Yes, wages can most definitely be better. I'm sure it'll get better. The pay is an increase from before. I have to say, it's the best learning and flying experience a pilot will ever have there. The pilots there want to help you grow. Helped me greatly in an airline environment.

I second this. Laid back and very supportive group. Good place to learn and learn you will. Where else can you go left seat on a +12.5 machine at 800TT. Work 2-3 days a week and flying is never boring. Will probably miss it when I leave.
This says all I need to know about a company, they would rather put an 800 hour pilot in the left seat than pay enough.
At 800 hours, you don’t realize yet what you don’t know, trust me, I was an 800 hour medevac Captain before the 1500 hour with 500 multi pic rule came in.
I managed to not kill myself but that was because I was not afraid to stand up for myself when my CP tried to kill me, very few are willing to start over and just go when forced. I actually had a company owner tell me he could find 10 pilots tomorrow who would, I told him to do it.

Red_Comet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Red_Comet »

This says all I need to know about a company, they would rather put an 800 hour pilot in the left seat than pay enough.
At 800 hours, you don’t realize yet what you don’t know, trust me, I was an 800 hour medevac Captain before the 1500 hour with 500 multi pic rule came in.
I managed to not kill myself but that was because I was not afraid to stand up for myself when my CP tried to kill me, very few are willing to start over and just go when forced. I actually had a company owner tell me he could find 10 pilots tomorrow who would, I told him to do it.
Care to share some stories? I'm assuming the CP was asking you to fly in dangerous weather? Very curious about the Medevac world and its dangers.

Stable_Approach
Rank 2
Rank 2

cdnavater wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Yes, we know you’re Gods gift to aviation. :prayer: Only you could fly left seat with 800 hours with your infinite skill and wisdom. :roll: I’ve flown with both 800 hour captains and 1500 hour ones and there wasn’t much difference skill wise. If anything the 800 hour guys were more cautious and didn’t have bad habits developed.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Red_Comet wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:10 pm
Care to share some stories? I'm assuming the CP was asking you to fly in dangerous weather? Very curious about the Medevac world and its dangers.
Honestly, there’s too many stories like that to go into details, I could write a book but the one in particular that I was told he could find 10 pilots tomorrow that would do it.
There was a line of thunderstorms, multiple pireps about a solid line and deviations. It was between where I was and needed to go. I put a delay on the flight as it was freight and I was going VFR, the president of the company came into the briefing room to ask me why I delayed. He told me to go anyway, I said fine, offload 400 pounds of freight for the extra fuel I’ll need. He told me in no uncertain terms that my reserve fuel was for that. I said no, the reserve fuel is for unforeseen delays and I can predict the deviation. It went back and forth until I put my foot down. I said, one of two things are happening, I’m either delaying the flight or taking diversion fuel.
That’s when he said what he said and I said go ahead, I was “laid off” a week later, he didn’t like pilots with a backbone. No regrets though.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Stable_Approach wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:39 pm
cdnavater wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Yes, we know you’re Gods gift to aviation. :prayer: Only you could fly left seat with 800 hours with your infinite skill and wisdom. :roll: I’ve flown with both 800 hour captains and 1500 hour ones and there wasn’t much difference skill wise. If anything the 800 hour guys were more cautious and didn’t have bad habits developed.
Dude, I didn’t know how scary it was until later, I honestly feel I got lucky a few times versus the skill and knowledge I should have had.
If you can’t see the difference, I can’t help you. I wonder why T.C doesn’t make the ATPL requirement 800 hours, after all, there isn’t much difference!
The U.S 1500 rule, Manitoba medevac 1500 and 500 multi pic, someone needs to tell them that Stable_Approach didn’t notice much difference and they should lower it to 800. Reality, the likelihood is when you pile it in, it’s just you and the freight and the company has decided the risk is worth it, they don’t give a rats ass about you. I guarantee they are paying higher insurance premiums but it’s still cheaper than paying a fair wage. Good luck, I mean it because luck is what you’ll need until you gain the skill and knowledge you’ll wish you had when it happens.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”