Wow I thought salaries were on the rise

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Wow I thought salaries were on the rise

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

co-joe wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:19 pm That 130k could be worth it, if the job is all scheduled flying, no on call of any kind, no non flying duties, expense account for food and incidentals on the road. 12 weeks paid vacation. And room to move up over time.
12 week of vacation?

I had a half decent owner once upon a time… 12 weeks?!? Yeah that’s never going to happen unless the airplane is down for a heavy maintenance event.

Technicolor man, your dreaming….
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:06 pm
co-joe wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:19 pm That 130k could be worth it, if the job is all scheduled flying, no on call of any kind, no non flying duties, expense account for food and incidentals on the road. 12 weeks paid vacation. And room to move up over time.
12 week of vacation?

I had a half decent owner once upon a time… 12 weeks?!? Yeah that’s never going to happen unless the airplane is down for a heavy maintenance event.

Technicolor man, your dreaming….
:lol: As soon as they say, "and we want to make money with the plane while we're not using it" I'm out. Get someone else.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

That salary is a joke no matter how much time off. They are looking for a captain. Good luck

Skybomer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skybomer »

Guaranteed they find one.
Retired Airline dude who makes 80-100k a year retirement salary from the airline plus 130gs from this outfit. An old fart who can’t stay away from flying yet taking a job opportunity from a younger individual.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Skybomer wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:45 pm Guaranteed they find one.
Retired Airline dude who makes 80-100k a year retirement salary from the airline plus 130gs from this outfit. An old fart who can’t stay away from flying yet taking a job opportunity from a younger individual.
That old fart will show up on their first day, squeeze themselves into the left seat of that cavernous Challenger cockpit and wonder why nothing is happening.

You didn’t file the flight plans, arrange handling, do performance, order the catering, book the hotels, book the transportation, and do the other thousand jobs that you signed up for when you took your 130k corporate job, captain! 🫣

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:27 am
That old fart will show up on their first day, squeeze themselves into the left seat of that cavernous Challenger cockpit and wonder why nothing is happening.

You didn’t file the flight plans, arrange handling, do performance, order the catering, book the hotels, book the transportation, and do the other thousand jobs that you signed up for when you took your 130k corporate job, captain! 🫣
We get it, corporate pilots are gods gift to aviation. Us airline folk are simply incapable of learning how to use the Marriott app, or going through the 10 steps required to file a flight plan using one of the many flight planning software’s available. That’s without even getting into having to tell the CSR at the FBO we need sandwiches for x number of pax and god forbid we have to send them a one sentence email requesting ground transportation. Us dumb airline folks would never be capable of learning such difficult work.

I mean management companies hire and train entry level flight coordinators with zero aviation experience and train them to do all those things in a day but we can pretend that doesn’t exist and corporate flying is the most difficult and demanding side of aviation.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

YC87DRVR wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:17 am

We get it, corporate pilots are gods gift to aviation. Us airline folk are simply incapable of learning how to use the Marriott app, or going through the 10 steps required to file a flight plan using one of the many flight planning software’s available. That’s without even getting into having to tell the CSR at the FBO we need sandwiches for x number of pax and god forbid we have to send them a one sentence email requesting ground transportation. Us dumb airline folks would never be capable of learning such difficult work.

I mean management companies hire and train entry level flight coordinators with zero aviation experience and train them to do all those things in a day but we can pretend that doesn’t exist and corporate flying is the most difficult and demanding side of aviation.
LOL... He does have a point.

I have seen it (many times) in the corporate side of the industry a retired airline pilot coming into a corporate gig and having a hard time adapting to the "many other aspects" of the corporate world. Also some of them do accept lower wages to "continue their flying" because they are heavily supplemented by their retirement fund... Best for you retired airline dudes to stay out of our world because you do not help when we fight for better wages... I would never hire a retired airline pilot but give a change to a young decent pilot that's already in the corporate world.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

How else would they afford to build a bigger dock in Muskoka than their neighbors? :lol:

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

Jet Jockey wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:51 am

I have seen it (many times) in the corporate side of the industry a retired airline pilot coming into a corporate gig and having a hard time adapting to the "many other aspects" of the corporate world. Also some of them do accept lower wages to "continue their flying" because they are heavily supplemented by their retirement fund... Best for you retired airline dudes to stay out of our world because you do not help when we fight for better wages... I would never hire a retired airline pilot but give a change to a young decent pilot that's already in the corporate world.
Yeah I agree that not all retired airline pilots would work out in corporate flying. But let’s be honest it would be because their lack of willingness to do those extra tasks or putting up with the uncertainty, instability and required flexibility.

Saying they couldn’t make it because of all the “difficult” extra tasks required is far from the truth. None of those extra tasks are difficult at all, hence the ability to train someone to do them in a day.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

YC87DRVR wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:18 am
Jet Jockey wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:51 am

Yeah I agree that not all retired airline pilots would work out in corporate flying. But let’s be honest it would be because their lack of willingness to do those extra tasks or putting up with the uncertainty, instability and required flexibility.

Saying they couldn’t make it because of all the “difficult” extra tasks required is far from the truth. None of those extra tasks are difficult at all, hence the ability to train someone to do them in a day.
Never did I say they were difficult tasks, that was a convenient way for your ego to find a battle which does not exist. There’s just an abundance of tasks for someone to do for 130k per year and especially in their retirement.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Skybomer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skybomer »

What this company did and that is a fact, they hired a guy who is retired from a main Canadian airline, with a $80-$100,000$ pension so they don’t have to pay 190 to $200,000 for a qualified pilot.

Skybomer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skybomer »

What this company did and that is a fact, they hired a guy who is retired from a main Canadian airline, with a $80-$100,000$ pension so they don’t have to pay 190 to $200,000 for a qualified corporate pilot.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

I have been hearing that scenario quite a bit lately. I have actually heard of some retired AC pilots flying for free! These guys screwed AC salaries and in fact pilot salaries across Canada over the last three decades and now they do this? Unbelievable

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

Someone,be it the owner,chief pilot,or ops mgr hires,this is where the problem begins,the retired guy just says,COOL I get to fly this little jet for some beer money.

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

Sorry for posting again,I suspect if this is how they hire,you probably do not want to work there,in all likelihood.

Checkspeed
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Checkspeed »

Such a shame to see, I had heard rumours that this was one of the better YYC gigs. Apparently not.

hawker driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by hawker driver »

Just got some information on pay increases in the US.

It seems Flexjet is increasing their starting pay for new hires The base pay as a new co pilot on the Phenom, Legacy or Challenger will start at $135,00 US for 15 days per month schedule. When you add in all the soft money it will be over $155,000 US in your first year.
Captain upgrades are at 18 months then pay jumps to $185,000 US
They are hiring 400 per year and still losing pilots to the airlines.

Now the interesting statement by the VP of flight operations.

They are going to start looking outside the USA for pilots and will be looking at foreign pilots to help fill the slots.
I don’t have anymore information but I will be asking around and post what I find out.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

$185k a year USD is $248k Canadian. That would be a 45 year payscale at Air Sprint.

hawker driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by hawker driver »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:10 pm $185k a year USD is $248k Canadian. That would be a 45 year payscale at Air Sprint.
That is only year ones Captan
Senior captains on the Legacy and Challenger are over $300K US and if you want to go to the Gulfstreams you are well over $350K

Return to “Corporate”