Landing legally off-airport for recreation

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Landing legally off-airport for recreation

Post by BeaverDreamer »

How about landing on the ramp/apron? Helicopters do it all the time. At uncontrolled airports in particular I haven’t been able to find any reg that you could get whacked for over it, although I haven’t dug deep enough to get the balls to do it yet.
---------- ADS -----------

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

There seems to some exceptions, we would land in Polar Bear park and never had issues or asked permission. It seems to me that this has just gone the way so many things do and it becomes a preoccupation on legalities and rules and not finding a safe and logical way of doing it.

For me if I have the proper equipment and see a place I want to land I will apply common sense(like I'm not landing on a paved or obviously well used road. I would certainly land in a field beside that road if I had a reason to do so, like stop for lunch at a roadside restaurant).

Obviously you wouldn't do so in built up or residential areas but we supposedly are talking about remote. It now boils down to what you as the pilot are comfortable with and certainly what you experience and skill levels are.

Look what happened to a well known youtuber, he is all over with his fancy stol aircraft only to write it off on a runway in a xwind. In ways landing off strip or on runways that are not long and don't have white lines has your sense of awareness at it's peak and relaxing for that familiar runway at home you might be more prone to mistakes.

Like most things common sense can keep you out of trouble and you don't need all those confusing and misleading rules and regulations to make decisions. Safe trumps rules any day.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

PilotDAR wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:58 am You'll be told to use the grass to the left/right of runway X between taxiways Y and Z.
I can't speak to all airports, but at the couple I've done this at, the controllers will not "tell you" to do anything involved in operating beyond the designated takeoff and landing areas. I suspect it has a lot to do with liability. I've only ever received a lot of "your discretion" regardless of if I wanted to do something in the area conventionally used for those operations, or somewhere else on the field. Some may have different operations, I don't know. Would be a good question to ask a tower controller.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

BeaverDreamer wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:30 am How about landing on the ramp/apron? Helicopters do it all the time.
Different rules for helicopters at controlled airports:
5048EB45-8B6C-4A32-AD5C-88604CBEF5A0.jpeg
5048EB45-8B6C-4A32-AD5C-88604CBEF5A0.jpeg (521.5 KiB) Viewed 11307 times

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:09 am In respect of controlled aerodromes, you can, except for on taxiways (unless in an emergency):

4FDF4D8B-BECB-47A9-97FB-FEB78729B0F5.jpeg

Old, but still relevant.
What document is this?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

digits_ wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:56 am
photofly wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:09 am In respect of controlled aerodromes, you can, except for on taxiways (unless in an emergency):

Old, but still relevant.
What document is this?
It's a 2013 edition of MANOPS. MANOPS has been replaced with something else, but mostly it's still relevant for interest's sake.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

photofly wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:21 am
pelmet wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:02 am
photofly wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:45 am
Ontario Provincial Parks Regulations
Aircraft
33. (1) No person shall land an aircraft in a provincial park. O. Reg. 347/07, s. 33 (1).
I don't believe it is that simple. That is simply the overall regulation.
Well, it goes on, with a list of exceptions. You can read it yourself.
Exactly...there are exceptions. So just posting a quote that no one can land in an Ontario provincial park is misleading because there are people landing in Ontario provincial parks under the exceptions. I have landed in a provincial park. Assuming my instructor was correct....it was perfectly legal.

Once again, I didn't look up the regs. And he was PIC so he was the one responsible if there was some sort of enforcement action from TC for reckless operation.

I believe that because it was a relatively new park, some of the regs that apply to older parks were not implemented. Of course, MNR aircraft operate in these parks as well.

But the bottom line is...if you want to land in an Ontario Provincial Park, further investigation about the legality is prudent.

Last edited by pelmet on Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:58 am
digits_ wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:56 am

Old, but still relevant.
What document is this?
It's a 2013 edition of MANOPS. MANOPS has been replaced with something else, but mostly it's still relevant for interest's sake.
Cool!

Can't wait until someone declares a mayday to *depart* from a taxiway.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

I know in MB, most of the crop dusters set up on a country road close to the fields of the day rather than finding a strip. I'd have to read the rules but since I won't be turning a wheel for at least another year, I'll wait until it's time to get back into the books

ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ruddersup? »

Photofly,
Please show me how to access the below you posted years ago

Thanks
Dave

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

I believe most "Privately insured aircraft", unless you add a "rider to your hull insurance", are only covered for fender benders at "registered airports".

Keep the dirty side down.
tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

As far as the CARs are concerned anyplace outside of a “Built Up Area” can be used as an aerodrome. Aside from that it just comes down to permission from the land owner.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”