Jazz Hiring Qualifications

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RayJr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Jazz Hiring Qualifications

Post by RayJr »

HI Gang,

A question for you relating to building time to get a job

Which would you say is better to focus energy (money) on?
1. Instructing
2. Flying your own airplane (single engine) Single Pilot, PIC, IFR, Cross Country, International (USA/Caribbean), Night, etc..

I'm working on career 2.0 now. I already own an IFR aircraft and do NOT have an instructor rating. I can churn out IFR PIC hours very quickly without quitting my current career. Getting an instructor rating would take time and money obviously and then I would get a few hours here and there flying evenings and weekends. Or quit my current job to instruct full time. Ideally would like to keep my current job as long as possible.

I guess part 2 of my question is, Do you think the time I log flying my own plane like I described before be useful toward getting hired eventually? Or are employers more interested in 'working hours' even if they're instructing day/vfr/local primarily?

Thanks for your help
---------- ADS -----------

Happyflyer78
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Jazz Hiring Qualifications

Post by Happyflyer78 »

RayJr wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:23 am HI Gang,

1. Instructing
2. Flying your own airplane (single engine) Single Pilot, PIC, IFR, Cross Country, International (USA/Caribbean), Night, etc..

I'm working on career 2.0 now. I already own an IFR aircraft and do NOT have an instructor rating. I can churn out IFR PIC hours very quickly without quitting my current career. Getting an instructor rating would take time and money obviously and then I would get a few hours here and there flying evenings and weekends. Or quit my current job to instruct full time. Ideally would like to keep my current job as long as possible.

I guess part 2 of my question is, Do you think the time I log flying my own plane like I described before be useful toward getting hired eventually? Or are employers more interested in 'working hours' even if they're instructing day/vfr/local primarily?

Thanks for your help

There’s nothing certain with what employers are looking for.
A lot on here will no doubt say I’m trolling when I admit Jazz has not offered me a position even though I’m a very experienced King Air Captain.
Jazz HR puts every applicant on a dart board and wherever the dart lands is who gets an offer.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Happyflyer78 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:33 am

1. Instructing

Thanks for your help

There’s nothing certain with what employers are looking for.
A lot on here will no doubt say I’m trolling when I admit Jazz has not offered me a position even though I’m a very experienced King Air Captain.
Jazz HR puts every applicant on a dart board and wherever the dart lands is who gets an offer.
Yes that’s exactly how it works. :rolleyes:

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

1. Instructing

Thanks for your help
From the job application process, they will ask you how many "professional" hours you have and "0" will nut cut it.

Instructing is a way to build both professional hours as well as PIC but considering how many 500TT instructors with a fresh Group 1 there are out there, one needs to find a way to stand out of the lot, ideally with some IFR or multi-crew experience.

That said, for those who do feel they "stand out", if you walk into an interview thinking the company is desperate and with the attitude that they'd be lucky to have you, don't be surprised if you get a "please move along" response.

*sarcasm on* I am kidding of course.... throwing dart on a board makes way more sense than the above...sheesh...*sarcasm off*

Me262
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Me262 »

Outlaw58 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:59 am

1. Instructing

Thanks for your help
From the job application process, they will ask you how many "professional" hours you have and "0" will nut cut it.

Instructing is a way to build both professional hours as well as PIC but considering how many 500TT instructors with a fresh Group 1 there are out there, one needs to find a way to stand out of the lot, ideally with some IFR or multi-crew experience.

That said, for those who do feel they "stand out", if you walk into an interview thinking the company is desperate and with the attitude that they'd be lucky to have you, don't be surprised if you get a "please move along" response.

*sarcasm on* I am kidding of course.... throwing dart on a board makes way more sense than the above...sheesh...*sarcasm off*

With the current state I think even 500TT instructors have a good chance of getting hired by Jazz as long as their attitude is good during the interview. Integrated 200hrs CPL/MIFR/SAMRA/SARON top graduates were hired by Jazz in the past.

downwindsavage
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by downwindsavage »

As others mentioned, it really depends on the interview and sim eval. I got in at 500 hours but I had multi-turbine time working up north. My friend who was a flight instructor also had 500TT, got an interview, did the sim eval but a couple days letter got the PFO email.

Again there's going to be more applicants at 500hours applying for the same role so yeah you do need to stand out either in the interview or the sim eval.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Dozens of CA vacancies in the latest bid award (think dozen x 7).

Even hiring close-to-ATPL instructors will not mean that these vacancies can be filled internally.

Until Jazz makes a comparable DEC offer to the competition, or a better retention offer to current Jazz pilots, the staffing problems of 2023 will persist in 2024. Oh - and Porter will now be offering YUL/YOW/YVR E2 basing with CA starting at $190/hr. I wonder how that will affect the ‘plan’?

It isn’t about the size of the plane anymore. It is about whether you are willing to let the plane sit and collect dust.

Happyflyer78
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Happyflyer78 »

rudder wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:29 am Dozens of CA vacancies in the latest bid award (think dozen x 7).

Even hiring close-to-ATPL instructors will not mean that these vacancies can be filled internally.

Until Jazz makes a comparable DEC offer to the competition, or a better retention offer to current Jazz pilots, the staffing problems of 2023 will persist in 2024. Oh - and Porter will now be offering YUL/YOW/YVR E2 basing with CA starting at $190/hr. I wonder how that will affect the ‘plan’?

It isn’t about the size of the plane anymore. It is about whether you are willing to let the plane sit and collect dust.
Why aren’t experienced king air captains being hired? The job posting says 500 hours preferred. Logic would indicate an experienced king air captain spending 6 months to a year in the right seat would be able to be upgraded rather than their preferred hiring of 500 hours applicants.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

Happyflyer78 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:31 pm
rudder wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:29 am Dozens of CA vacancies in the latest bid award (think dozen x 7).

Why aren’t experienced king air captains being hired? The job posting says 500 hours preferred. Logic would indicate an experienced king air captain spending 6 months to a year in the right seat would be able to be upgraded rather than their preferred hiring of 500 hours applicants.
Maybe it's you and not your experience?

Some people are their own worst enemies when it comes to interviews, resumes, cover letters, sim evals. Although with all the "experienced king air captain, but woe is me" talk, it might be a little deeper.

rob-air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob-air »

if you want to be a professional pilot, it's always better to fly employed. Let's say someone wants to be a chef, would it be better to be a line cook in a restaurant or cook food at home. Being a professional pilot is a lot more than flying an airplane it's 90% dealing with people.

on hiring, no employer would hire someone who thinks they are entitle to the job, there is a fine line between confidence and cockiness. Stay grounded and humble it will go a long way.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Happyflyer78 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:31 pm

There is no rhyme or reason as to who is hired and why.

Jazz cannot control attrition (AC flow excepted). It can only control hiring.

The applicant pool is a function of the current marketplace (better opportunities). The Jazz offer is current WAWCON - revised AC flow - and Section 5 (Filling of Assignments). Likely that change in any (or all) of these three areas might change the quality of the applicant pool.

Posted vacancies will be difficult to impossible to fill. And that was a reduced staffing plan for 2024 compared to 2023. A refusal to accept the pilot supply market as it is (not as you wish it to be) will lead to continued staffing shortfalls.

Ferrari8017
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ferrari8017 »

The 500 preferred time is very subjective, I applied with over 500TT 300PIC in a 702 operation also have my ATPLs written and they're requesting I reapply in 3 months with more professional hours. I've seen city tour pilots get into Jazz with 500TT on a 172.

Nothing to be bitter about considering its a lot better than a straight "No"

Last edited by Ferrari8017 on Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

rob-air wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:00 pm if you want to be a professional pilot, it's always better to fly employed. Let's say someone wants to be a chef, would it be better to be a line cook in a restaurant or cook food at home. Being a professional pilot is a lot more than flying an airplane it's 90% dealing with people.

on hiring, no employer would hire someone who thinks they are entitle to the job, there is a fine line between confidence and cockiness. Stay grounded and humble it will go a long way.
I have a grievance to file with your post.

Firstly, I very much enjoy cooking meals at my home. It certainly beats crash pads. So as a cook or chef; the answer is always : home

Secondly, by dealing with 90% of people, how exactly do you mean? As a professional pilot, I’d like to argue that 90% of my time is not dealing with anyone but the guy/gal beside me. And I mean that as a team principle

rob-air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob-air »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:30 pm
rob-air wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:00 pm if you want to be a professional pilot, it's always better to fly employed. Let's say someone wants to be a chef, would it be better to be a line cook in a restaurant or cook food at home. Being a professional pilot is a lot more than flying an airplane it's 90% dealing with people.

I have a grievance to file with your post.

Firstly, I very much enjoy cooking meals at my home. It certainly beats crash pads. So as a cook or chef; the answer is always : home

Secondly, by dealing with 90% of people, how exactly do you mean? As a professional pilot, I’d like to argue that 90% of my time is not dealing with anyone but the guy/gal beside me. And I mean that as a team principle
I enjoy cooking at home too, and while someone can be amazing at making unbelievable dishes at home it doesn’t make them good at running a restaurant kitchen.

Dealing with crewsched, back end, maintenance, ramp crew, stock, flight planin, counter agents, commercial, passengers…ect ect

Dealing with the guy beside me is mostly having a conversation about random stuff….

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”