Jeppesen on Mobile or GTN750

Discuss aviation related software and devices here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

AdrianG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Jeppesen on Mobile or GTN750

Post by AdrianG »

Good Morning Fellow Aviators,

I need your thoughts on the following:

I have the Garmin GTN750 installed in my aircraft and I use Foreflight on iPad. I have been looking into getting the Jeppesen Charts but from what I can see is that I would have to purchase 2 sets from Jeppesen. One for the Garmin GTN 750 and another for my Foreflight.

If this is the case, which would be best recommended. What are the pro's and con's of having it either way. Can I still fly the full approach off the GTN if I have used the Foreflight Flight Plan and uploaded it to the GTN. Do I have to have both? etc.

Any thoughts would be greatly helpful.

Have a great day .
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Jeppesen on Mobile or GTN750

Post by digits_ »

To fly a GPS approach you need an approach chart and the gps data. The gps data will be in the GTN as IFR data. That's technically (abd legally) required. Either the jeppesen data or the Garmin database on the GTN will do. Note you can only use one database at the time anyway.

Your selection of charts is unrelated to your gps database. If you want to load it on the GTN, you'll need to buy them from Garmin. If you're ok with having it on foreflight, that's ok as well. Even paper will do.

The downside of having charts on the GTN is that you won't have any if the screen fails. On foreflight or paper you could still load an ILS spproach chart and fly that on your backup radio (depending on your aircraft setup).

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
AdrianG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AdrianG »

Thank you very much .

SangakaraMoory
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SangakaraMoory »

Jeppesen currently requires separate subscriptions for the GTN and Foreflight. Here's a breakdown to help you decide:

Jeppesen on GTN: Pros - Integrated with your avionics, easy to view charts while flying, shows your position on approach plates. Cons - Limited functionalities compared to Foreflight (weather, NOTAMs, etc.).

Jeppesen on Foreflight: Pros - Feature-rich app with weather, NOTAMs, flight planning tools, etc. Cons - Not directly integrated with your avionics, requires switching between apps.

Flying the full approach: You can certainly fly the approach using the GTN even if you planned it in Foreflight. The GTN will display the approach waypoints and guide you.

Do you need both? Not necessarily. It depends on your needs.

If you prioritize in-flight navigation and ease of use, Jeppesen on GTN might be better.
If you want a comprehensive pre-flight planning tool and weather information, Foreflight is a strong choice.

Return to “Aviation Software & Devices”