Applying for a pilot job with an open work permit PGWP?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

RedMaxx
Rank 0
Rank 0

Applying for a pilot job with an open work permit PGWP?

Post by RedMaxx »

Hi to all. I'm a South American pilot with a plan to go study in Canada for 2 years. After graduation, I will be eligible for a 2-year open work permit (PGWP). I plan to convert my FAA licenses to TC while studying since there's no flying required. Will I have a real chance of getting a job as a pilot (other than flight instructor) with an open work permit?

I have around 1230 hrs TT and 800 hrs as an instructor (Sadly the flight instructor license is not eligible for conversion and requires flying)

Thanks to all!
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Applying for a pilot job with an open work permit PGWP?

Post by digits_ »

RedMaxx wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:46 am Hi to all. I'm a South American pilot with a plan to go study in Canada for 2 years. After graduation, I will be eligible for a 2-year open work permit (PGWP). I plan to convert my FAA licenses to TC while studying since there's no flying required. Will I have a real chance of getting a job as a pilot (other than flight instructor) with an open work permit?

I have around 1230 hrs TT and 800 hrs as an instructor (Sadly the flight instructor license is not eligible for conversion and requires flying)

Thanks to all!
It will be fairly difficult. Preference will likely be given to Permanent Resident holder or citizens, as the company will (incorrectly) interpret your PGWP as 'he's out of here in 2 years'.

Having an ATPL would be very helpful though, it would help you to get a medevac job. There's quite a shortage for ATPL holders for crappy 703 jobs.

Your best bet with your current experience is to do your TC conversion at a flying school that's willing to hire you when you've got your Canadian licenses. Or, try to get 1500 hours at your current job, so you qualify for an ATPL.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
RedMaxx
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RedMaxx »

digits_ wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:07 am
RedMaxx wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:46 am Hi to all. I'm a South American pilot with a plan to go study in Canada for 2 years. After graduation, I will be eligible for a 2-year open work permit (PGWP). I plan to convert my FAA licenses to TC while studying since there's no flying required. Will I have a real chance of getting a job as a pilot (other than flight instructor) with an open work permit?

Thanks to all!
It will be fairly difficult. Preference will likely be given to Permanent Resident holder or citizens, as the company will (incorrectly) interpret your PGWP as 'he's out of here in 2 years'.

Having an ATPL would be very helpful though, it would help you to get a medevac job. There's quite a shortage for ATPL holders for crappy 703 jobs.

Your best bet with your current experience is to do your TC conversion at a flying school that's willing to hire you when you've got your Canadian licenses. Or, try to get 1500 hours at your current job, so you qualify for an ATPL.
Thanks for replying!
Unfortunately, I don't think I will reach 1500 hrs before arriving in Canada. What job would I have at a flight school if convert the licenses there? I ask because I don't plan to convert my Flight Instructor license because it will take time away from my work permit.

Thanks!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

RedMaxx wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:38 am
digits_ wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:07 am

Thanks to all!

Thanks for replying!
Unfortunately, I don't think I will reach 1500 hrs before arriving in Canada. What job would I have at a flight school if convert the licenses there? I ask because I don't plan to convert my Flight Instructor license because it will take time away from my work permit.

Thanks!
I was referring to working as a flight instructor at the flying school that would do your license conversions.

I don't think you need a work permit to do flight training. You could likely visit Canada, do your flight training/conversions, and then later come to Canada to work with your work permit. I think. Rules might have changed.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Instructor01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Instructor01 »

You can easily get a 703 job with a work permit nowadays

bekean
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bekean »

Obtaining an ATPL and targeting specialized roles such as medevac flying can enhance your job prospects, as there's often a shortage of ATPL holders for certain positions. Additionally, accumulating more flight hours to meet the ATPL requirements could open up further opportunities.
heardle

Return to “Employment Forum”