The end of Flair?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: The end of Flair?

Post by boeingboy »

co-joe wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:38 pm
CpnCrunch wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:06 pm https://globalnews.ca/news/10382735/fla ... stem-down/

"The latest hiccups come as Flair faces financial hurdles. The company owes $67.2 million to the federal government in unpaid taxes, but says it has a deal to pay the amount back to the Canada Revenue Agency."
The latest post from Cpn is yet another rehash of the same story being circulated and recirculated over and over since November. Give it a rest, F8 owes the CRA money and has entered into an agreement to repay it. They either will or they won't.

The payment thing has a solution being rolled out, business as usual, and doom and gloom from the avcan peanut gallery as usual. Flair is done any day now...any day now...any day now... do you guys ever get sick of repeating this to us over and over again? 5 years you've been on this soap box...
haha.jpg
haha.jpg (20.39 KiB) Viewed 4419 times
---------- ADS -----------

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

CpnCrunch wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:06 pm https://globalnews.ca/news/10382735/fla ... stem-down/

"The latest hiccups come as Flair faces financial hurdles. The company owes $67.2 million to the federal government in unpaid taxes, but says it has a deal to pay the amount back to the Canada Revenue Agency."
The latest post from Cpn is yet another rehash of the same story being circulated and recirculated over and over since November. Give it a rest, F8 owes the CRA money and has entered into an agreement to repay it. They either will or they won't.

The payment thing has a solution being rolled out, business as usual, and doom and gloom from the avcan peanut gallery as usual. Flair is done any day now...any day now...any day now... do you guys ever get sick of repeating this to us over and over again? 5 years you've been on this soap box...
I can appreciate you sharing the same loyalty and defence to Flair as I did in my tenure there. However even I'm starting to express concern of my own with all the hiccups, headlines and mismanagement. Yes, I agree many on here form a peanut gallery and haters gonna hate etc, but you have to admit there are a lot of concerning signs going on here. When passengers cannot book for multiple days, it is certainly NOT business as usual.

I sincerely hope Flair survives, not just for the employees, but for the travelling public. It is a great service and we certainly need it.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

flying4dollars wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:33 pm

I can appreciate you sharing the same loyalty and defence to Flair as I did in my tenure there. However even I'm starting to express concern of my own with all the hiccups, headlines and mismanagement. Yes, I agree many on here form a peanut gallery and haters gonna hate etc, but you have to admit there are a lot of concerning signs going on here. When passengers cannot book for multiple days, it is certainly NOT business as usual.

I sincerely hope Flair survives, not just for the employees, but for the travelling public. It is a great service and we certainly need it.
Problem is, he is so blind that the building is crumbling around him but he doesn’t see it, he’s just sitting at the table sipping on his koolaid.
The “glitches” are frequent and not conducive to a successful outcome. How many people will think twice about booking with Flair due to these problems.
Anyhow, good luck to the Flair employees, I hope you bounce back

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Website seems to work fine now. No "worldticket" redirect.

I think Flair used Worldticket before they expanded and had the 777 investment.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

cdnavater wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:10 pm
Problem is, he is so blind that the building is crumbling around him but he doesn’t see it, he’s just sitting at the table sipping on his koolaid.
The “glitches” are frequent and not conducive to a successful outcome. How many people will think twice about booking with Flair due to these problems.
More than 14 000 people didn't think twice about buying tickets on Flair once the online payment thing was sorted out. Nearly a one day record for us.

We're doing something right here folks, bringing affordable air travel to Canadians. cdnavater and the rest of the WS fan bois are threatened. They are running scared to their keyboards to spout drivel online about us, because that's all they have. :lol:

cor_18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cor_18 »

The question should be , how many flight bookings did NOT occur over those three days ?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

The walls are crumbling around Flair. Won't be long now.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

co-joe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:54 am
More than 14 000 people didn't think twice about buying tickets on Flair once the online payment thing was sorted out. Nearly a one day record for us.

We're doing something right here folks, bringing affordable air travel to Canadians. cdnavater and the rest of the WS fan bois are threatened. They are running scared to their keyboards to spout drivel online about us, because that's all they have. :lol:
WS fan bois, that’s funny! You won’t find any posts made from me praising WJ, at least non I can remember. I’ve always been critical about companies that use pilot wages to make money and drive the airfares down, which is why I’m also not a Flair fan either.
14,000 bookings after they fixed the site is “almost” a one day record, how many were from the weekend, how many did you lose because they gave up?
Anyhow, another crisis averted for now, how many is that now, losing track of them!

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

co-joe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:54 am

“ Bringing affordable air travel to Canadians”. Ok, fair statement. As a rep of the general travelling public - older demographic, guess the question going forward is one of “ dependability”. Is your airline sustainable under its significant debt load that we as travellers are reading about in the MSM. Lynx was sunk due the same circumstances as Flair is under. We are not hearing about other Canadian Airlines battling same circumstances as Flair. Past due accounts have to be paid at some point or the roof will cave in, same for suppliers of services aka fuel, NC charges etc.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

We're doing something right here folks, bringing affordable air travel to Canadians.
Your doing everything wrong - and the fact you can't see that is almost comical.

Stratopaused
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Stratopaused »

co-joe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:54 am More than 14 000 people didn't think twice about buying tickets on Flair once the online payment thing was sorted out. Nearly a one day record for us.
How many of those bought one of the sub-$50 deals? Not only that, but that's the total price; the fare on a $29 ticket is $15.50. Add in the 20% discount code that's available for all bookings, and that brings it down to $12.40. Even if 14000 people bought tickets, and even if we're generous and assume an average fare of $50, minus 20% for actual revenues of $40/person, that's only $560000/day. Stephen Jones stated the company's expenses are greater than $1 million/day, so it's pretty safe to assume that Flair is pissing money into the wind. Even on a record-setting day for sales, you're losing hundreds of thousands of dollars!

ChrisB
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChrisB »

Stratopaused wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm
co-joe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:54 am More than 14 000 people didn't think twice about buying tickets on Flair once the online payment thing was sorted out. Nearly a one day record for us.
How many of those bought one of the sub-$50 deals? Not only that, but that's the total price; the fare on a $29 ticket is $15.50. Add in the 20% discount code that's available for all bookings, and that brings it down to $12.40. Even if 14000 people bought tickets, and even if we're generous and assume an average fare of $50, minus 20% for actual revenues of $40/person, that's only $560000/day. Stephen Jones stated the company's expenses are greater than $1 million/day, so it's pretty safe to assume that Flair is pissing money into the wind. Even on a record-setting day for sales, you're losing hundreds of thousands of dollars!
Have you ever booked a flight with flair? I probably average around $350 per booking. Still the cheapest option.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

ChrisB wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm
Have you ever booked a flight with flair? I probably average around $350 per booking. Still the cheapest option.
....and? Sure there are going to be ones like yourself that pay more - but I also know of many that just pay the 30,40,50 bucks to travel. The average joe public will travel as cheap as they can.

Look no further than Lynx. In a year they had $100 million in ticket revenue.......but only $6 million in ancillary sales. For a segment that basically relies on those sales to survive - that doesn't bode very well for them.

ChrisB
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChrisB »

boeingboy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm
ChrisB wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

....and? Sure there are going to be ones like yourself that pay more - but I also know of many that just pay the 30,40,50 bucks to travel. The average joe public will travel as cheap as they can.

Look no further than Lynx. In a year they had $100 million in ticket revenue.......but only $6 million in ancillary sales. For a segment that basically relies on those sales to survive - that doesn't bode very well for them.
I have yet to be on one of their flights where the overhead bins ($50ea) wern't full or close to full or lines of people with checked baggage at checkin.

There are sub $50 fares for people who plan their lives better than I do, but I'd imagine most book the month of and pay triple like me.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

Cheap airfares and “helping Canadians” means absolutely nothing if you aren’t making enough to pay your bills, creditors, and tax man.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

$1.6 million owed to the CRA on April 1st. Wonder what accounting/website/banking issue will be blamed for that payment not going through.

Stratopaused
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Stratopaused »

If Flair is doing so well financially, why do they have a sale on for next winter? They're selling cut-rate tickets on bookings for a year from now, when this beach season hasn't even ended and no one is thinking about where they'll be going next March. That's just insanity unless they're so desperately in need of cash to make their April 1 CRA payment that they're almost literally having a fire sale. They're paying today's bills with next year's revenues. That really rings a JetsGo bell for some reason...

Realitychex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Realitychex »

When an airline has a record amount of capacity in the market thereby incurring record daily costs, they better be having record sales days every day to to cover the increased costs.

News flash folks: The latter half of March and first week of April, (depending on the Easter l/w timing), is no different than the last 14 days of Dec and the first 7 days of Jan.

Once this peak is over, its a 60 day cliff with massively reduced demand until March / Summer break, (with Feb family day / May l/w generating a bump). Same sh*t, different timing.

WestJet's, (and AC's), slowest quarter was always the April-June quarter. I'm all ears to hear why this wouldn't be the case at Flair or Porter.

What happened to Flair from Jan 9th to March 7th will be repeated between April 8th and June 21st.

The bills from the avg 19.7m daily asm's flown during peak March have to paid with revenues generated by from 15.9m daily asms in April and May, (as described by Flair's recent public admissions of capacity reductions in shoulder seasons), no different than what occurred in Jan and Feb.

Flair incurred a revenue shortfall of no less than $5m and likely closer to $7.5m a s a result of the 4 days of lost bookings last week.

That revenue will never be recovered. If it was as simple as that, all airlines would cut costs by simply shutting down their reservations from Friday noon to Monday noon every week.

They don't.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

boeingboy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:34 pm
We're doing something right here folks, bringing affordable air travel to Canadians.
Your doing everything wrong - and the fact you can't see that is almost comical.
It’s not funny at all. It’s sad.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

This antagonism towards Flair is totally misplaced.
All they're is doing wrong is possibly failing against a government who've created a hostile aviation environment that is 7 times more expensive to operate in than our neighbours, and the most expensive operating structure in the entire G20.

Maybe let's stop shitting on them and look, united, to change the real enemy of margins and profits in Canada, and ultimately the cause of our embarrassing earnings.

Our transportation folio, especially aviation, has been in a deep decline for years, and seems increasingly dysfunctional and oppressive as of late. Personally, I think it's time something has to change.

Return to “General Comments”