Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
Title is pretty self explanatory, I im sitting here blindsided as @#$! after getting the pfo even tho my references were called, i did the background check and the psych evaluation.
My references obviously gave me good one, I have nothing on any background check, which only leaves somehow failing the psych evaluation?
Anyone have insight on getting the no this deep into the process? The rejection email said I was eligible to reapply in 6 months. Just really bummed out and shocked right now.
My references obviously gave me good one, I have nothing on any background check, which only leaves somehow failing the psych evaluation?
Anyone have insight on getting the no this deep into the process? The rejection email said I was eligible to reapply in 6 months. Just really bummed out and shocked right now.
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
Flower shop question claims another victim...
Have Pratts - Will Travel
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
So whats the play, try again in 6 months and hope i answer these random ass questions better lol?
Any way to get feedback beyond the thanks but no thanks email?
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
They won’t give you the reason for your PFO. It could be for a reason or it could be a random. Your have to use your imagination to find out why.
DEI = Didn’t Earn It
-
MartinSheep
- Rank 0

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2026 3:24 pm
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
Are you Jazz?
What’s your background? Aviation degree or diploma? I’m starting to think they’re caring about the post secondary more than ever.
What’s your background? Aviation degree or diploma? I’m starting to think they’re caring about the post secondary more than ever.
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
Not Jazz, about 2600tt, 1000 jet, 1700 turbine. I have a undergrad/certificate from a real university.MartinSheep wrote: ↑Thu Sep 24, 2026 7:10 pm Are you Jazz?
What’s your background? Aviation degree or diploma? I’m starting to think they’re caring about the post secondary more than ever.
If the post secondary would be the issue i feel like the pfo would have come months ago, before they bothered with references and background checks, but then again i thought id have the gig so what the @#$! do i know.
-
MartinSheep
- Rank 0

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2026 3:24 pm
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
Do you have like a bachelors or what? You said undergrad then certificate that’s different things. When did you interview and medical how long did you wait? So many questions lolJon_Doe wrote: ↑Thu Sep 24, 2026 9:39 pmNot Jazz, about 2600tt, 1000 jet, 1700 turbine. I have a undergrad/certificate from a real university.MartinSheep wrote: ↑Thu Sep 24, 2026 7:10 pm Are you Jazz?
What’s your background? Aviation degree or diploma? I’m starting to think they’re caring about the post secondary more than ever.
If the post secondary would be the issue i feel like the pfo would have come months ago, before they bothered with references and background checks, but then again i thought id have the gig so what the @#$! do i know.
-
CaptDukeNukem
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2179
- Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:33 am
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
It’s probably your first PFO. Sorry. But if you react this way on online forums then they probably got it right.
-
CaptDukeNukem
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2179
- Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:33 am
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
If you think these questions they ask you are random, then that’s the first part of your troubles. All interview and psych evaluation questions are specifically tailored to give them the best picture of what type of person you are. Faking interview and psych evaluation questions will not help you down the line. I suggest you sit down with yourself and address what you learned during stressful times in your life and be honest with the interviewers. That’s how you get a job. Not answering “random ass questions” the way they want you to
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
How am i reacting exacty? Obviously not my first PFO, but my first this late in the stage after having done the background check and having my references called.CaptDukeNukem wrote: ↑Fri Sep 25, 2026 9:16 am It’s probably your first PFO. Sorry. But if you react this way on online forums then they probably got it right.
Im not throwing a tantrum, simply asking questions.
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
I didnt try to game or fake anything lol. The interview obviously went well if they bothered calling my references and made me do the background check, which leaves the psych evaluation. But again I didnt try to game it and answered everything truthfully. I called em random mostly over the “flower shop question strikes again” comment i was replying to…CaptDukeNukem wrote: ↑Fri Sep 25, 2026 9:26 amIf you think these questions they ask you are random, then that’s the first part of your troubles. All interview and psych evaluation questions are specifically tailored to give them the best picture of what type of person you are. Faking interview and psych evaluation questions will not help you down the line. I suggest you sit down with yourself and address what you learned during stressful times in your life and be honest with the interviewers. That’s how you get a job. Not answering “random ass questions” the way they want you to
Not sure why you gotta be so hard about a simple question.
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
You're not very competitive at 2600 hours... you fell out the bottom...
-
MartinSheep
- Rank 0

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2026 3:24 pm
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
Have you seen the people in the PITs? There’s 703 guys in there lol.
He has more than the required experience… I think maybe the lack of post secondary…
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
Things change. The pool changes. Not many have been hired with 2500 hours... might have floated when the pool was more shallow... May be that the pool has deepened somewhat... perhaps weak on other fronts relative others in the mix. That's how it works. Look forward to a deeper pool coming back.MartinSheep wrote: ↑Fri Sep 25, 2026 6:13 pmHave you seen the people in the PITs? There’s 703 guys in there lol.
He has more than the required experience… I think maybe the lack of post secondary…
-
QKZXKV
- Rank 6

- Posts: 429
- Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:46 am
- Location: Nickelbelt/Concrete Jungle/Lobster country...
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
Correctly putaltiplano wrote: ↑Fri Sep 25, 2026 7:13 pmThings change. The pool changes. Not many have been hired with 2500 hours... might have floated when the pool was more shallow... May be that the pool has deepened somewhat... perhaps weak on other fronts relative others in the mix. That's how it works. Look forward to a deeper pool coming back.MartinSheep wrote: ↑Fri Sep 25, 2026 6:13 pmHave you seen the people in the PITs? There’s 703 guys in there lol.
He has more than the required experience… I think maybe the lack of post secondary…
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
Don’t have a bachelors no, its a certificate from The University Of Montreal. You follow the same classes as the bachelors course, its just not a 3 year degree. Like its legit post secondary education lol.MartinSheep wrote: ↑Thu Sep 24, 2026 10:34 pmDo you have like a bachelors or what? You said undergrad then certificate that’s different things. When did you interview and medical how long did you wait? So many questions lolJon_Doe wrote: ↑Thu Sep 24, 2026 9:39 pmNot Jazz, about 2600tt, 1000 jet, 1700 turbine. I have a undergrad/certificate from a real university.MartinSheep wrote: ↑Thu Sep 24, 2026 7:10 pm Are you Jazz?
What’s your background? Aviation degree or diploma? I’m starting to think they’re caring about the post secondary more than ever.
If the post secondary would be the issue i feel like the pfo would have come months ago, before they bothered with references and background checks, but then again i thought id have the gig so what the @#$! do i know.
I interviewed in March, did the medical a week ish before. They called my references and made me do the background check stuff about a month later and i got the no on Wednesday.
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
6 months go by and you were in the pool, but never made it to the top selections, now you've been pushed out the bottom. Know that you're time is far far below average for getting to that stag of even interviewing, so there must be a lot of boxes you check... keep going, get more time, get PIC time and reapply.
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
Sometimes you think you've made it through the whole process (references and all) and it turns out you didn't "pass" the interview.
Usually what happens then is they take your file and leave it for the hiring board to review, it can even end up on the VP of flight ops desk in special cases and they make a decision.
A majority of the time during the interview, the interviewers can tell if someone's studied an interview package and has answers ready to go. They can also see some personality issues in there. Not saying that's you, just giving insight into what I know.
As for the psych eval, if you fail it or if it's inconclusive they give you a second one. And if that is inconclusive or you fail it, you see their doctor.
Usually what happens then is they take your file and leave it for the hiring board to review, it can even end up on the VP of flight ops desk in special cases and they make a decision.
A majority of the time during the interview, the interviewers can tell if someone's studied an interview package and has answers ready to go. They can also see some personality issues in there. Not saying that's you, just giving insight into what I know.
As for the psych eval, if you fail it or if it's inconclusive they give you a second one. And if that is inconclusive or you fail it, you see their doctor.
-
pitottubey
- Rank 3

- Posts: 182
- Joined: Thu May 06, 2021 9:56 pm
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
I don't trust these psych evals accuracy myself. So it could be that, or it could be one of your references wasn't great. I don't think your hours is insufficient to get hired today, seems about normal.
-
pitottubey
- Rank 3

- Posts: 182
- Joined: Thu May 06, 2021 9:56 pm
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
I would also add I think it would shock most of us just how incompetent the average HR person making these decisions are.
-
MartinSheep
- Rank 0

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2026 3:24 pm
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
I personally think it’s the lack of having a post secondary diploma or degree. That’s just what I think, there were king air guys and a metro captain in the last few PITs.
I also think it is weird your references were checked but who knows. They clearly rank people and maybe you didn’t finish near the top. You will get there soon
I also think it is weird your references were checked but who knows. They clearly rank people and maybe you didn’t finish near the top. You will get there soon
-
MartinSheep
- Rank 0

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2026 3:24 pm
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
I’ve heard the VP goes through every rejection as well. They want to hire everyone that wants to be there.iflyroads wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2026 5:00 am Sometimes you think you've made it through the whole process (references and all) and it turns out you didn't "pass" the interview.
Usually what happens then is they take your file and leave it for the hiring board to review, it can even end up on the VP of flight ops desk in special cases and they make a decision.
A majority of the time during the interview, the interviewers can tell if someone's studied an interview package and has answers ready to go. They can also see some personality issues in there. Not saying that's you, just giving insight into what I know.
As for the psych eval, if you fail it or if it's inconclusive they give you a second one. And if that is inconclusive or you fail it, you see their doctor.
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
AC has the below information on their website. Were you able to click Yes to any of the associated specific questions they ask on the job application form?....Jon_Doe wrote: ↑Wed Sep 23, 2026 3:17 pm Title is pretty self explanatory, I im sitting here blindsided as @#$! after getting the pfo even tho my references were called, i did the background check and the psych evaluation.
My references obviously gave me good one, I have nothing on any background check, which only leaves somehow failing the psych evaluation?
Anyone have insight on getting the no this deep into the process? The rejection email said I was eligible to reapply in 6 months. Just really bummed out and shocked right now.
Air Canada actively recruits visible minorities and other underrepresented groups through inclusive hiring practices and dedicated community outreach partnerships. As a federally regulated employer subject to the Employment Equity Act, the airline is committed to building a workforce that reflects Canadian demographics.
Being able to answer Yes can make a huge difference.
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
This is the psych eval: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota ... _Inventory
The psych eval is measured as a deviation from the baseline for each factor. How they determined the baseline is subject to speculation. Someone once told me that they made a bunch of already hired AC pilots complete it, and they all screwed around with it because they thought that it was stupid. So your score is how much you deviate from the average smart ass AC pilot 20 years ago.
It's a great story, but I suspect not true.
-
Orion's Fannypack
- Rank 1

- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sat May 21, 2022 9:03 am
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
There more I hear about this Air Canada outfit, the less I want to work thereBede wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2026 4:59 amThis is the psych eval: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota ... _Inventory
The psych eval is measured as a deviation from the baseline for each factor. How they determined the baseline is subject to speculation. Someone once told me that they made a bunch of already hired AC pilots complete it, and they all screwed around with it because they thought that it was stupid. So your score is how much you deviate from the average smart ass AC pilot 20 years ago.
It's a great story, but I suspect not true.


