Working in Canada?
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore
Working in Canada?
I am a British trained civil aircraft technition that is possibly wishing to seek work in Canada. I am wanting to know what the difference in training standards are and wether this would restrict the work that i would be able to undertake.
I am a time served apprentice and have been working in the industry now for British Airways as a fully trained fitter for the past 3 years. I have been working mainly on Embraer 145 and Avro RJ 146 aircraft but have also worked on BAE ATP and Dash 8 type's.
Any information would be very much appreciated.
I am a time served apprentice and have been working in the industry now for British Airways as a fully trained fitter for the past 3 years. I have been working mainly on Embraer 145 and Avro RJ 146 aircraft but have also worked on BAE ATP and Dash 8 type's.
Any information would be very much appreciated.
159
Immigration is an issue but not just in aviation if you want to work in Canada that's the way it is, actually I think it is harder for Canadian's moving into the EU at the moment.
Embraer, BAE145, ATP will not do you any good in Canada unfortunately, I am not certain but I think there are still a few 146 in the Air Canada network but they are destined to be replaced.
The Dash 8 is popular with perhaps 160 in Canada half operating commercially and there is the option of contracting overseas on this type. Sort of a live in Canada work in a different country scenario initially.
In any case you appear to have enough experience that you will not have any problem getting work, at first it will probably tough.
You are going to need to unlearn allot of good regulatory rules Canada is unlike any where else, and has a constantly shifting licencing policy, your EASA/JAR/CAA licence won't be worth much in country.
Embraer, BAE145, ATP will not do you any good in Canada unfortunately, I am not certain but I think there are still a few 146 in the Air Canada network but they are destined to be replaced.
The Dash 8 is popular with perhaps 160 in Canada half operating commercially and there is the option of contracting overseas on this type. Sort of a live in Canada work in a different country scenario initially.
In any case you appear to have enough experience that you will not have any problem getting work, at first it will probably tough.
You are going to need to unlearn allot of good regulatory rules Canada is unlike any where else, and has a constantly shifting licencing policy, your EASA/JAR/CAA licence won't be worth much in country.
Hello Adam159.
I'm a BA tech at LGW, shortly be off to Montreal to live and work myself. The other blokes are right with reg'ds to immigration. Got my permanent residence status almost 4 years ago, and now just got my Transport Canada license. Send me a PM if you want any info, cheers.
I'm a BA tech at LGW, shortly be off to Montreal to live and work myself. The other blokes are right with reg'ds to immigration. Got my permanent residence status almost 4 years ago, and now just got my Transport Canada license. Send me a PM if you want any info, cheers.
Snips
If you could let me know how hard it was 2 get your permanent residence and your Transport Canada license it would be very much appreciated? As i said earlier, i will probably try 2 get a short term contract over there if i can, i'm still young and dont know where 2 settle down in yet. This might be a stupid question but what do u mean by "pm"?
Regards,
Adam.
Regards,
Adam.
- Pat Richard
- Rank 8

- Posts: 904
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:36 pm
- Location: all over
Hey Adam, my name is odderguy!
A company called Avmax does heavy overhaul Maintinence on CRJ 200s Bae 146/avroRJ, Dash 8s. I dont know about now But I know in the past they have help guys such as yourself come from places like the UK, Australia and South Africa. The company Is based out of Calgary AB. their web address is http://www.avmax.ca. I belive the person to contact would be Mr Mcaully. Aside from that I know a Company by the name of Avionco that contracts folks aswell but they are pure white trash. Hope that helps you out. Good Luck and word to your mother!!!
A company called Avmax does heavy overhaul Maintinence on CRJ 200s Bae 146/avroRJ, Dash 8s. I dont know about now But I know in the past they have help guys such as yourself come from places like the UK, Australia and South Africa. The company Is based out of Calgary AB. their web address is http://www.avmax.ca. I belive the person to contact would be Mr Mcaully. Aside from that I know a Company by the name of Avionco that contracts folks aswell but they are pure white trash. Hope that helps you out. Good Luck and word to your mother!!!
Re: Working in Canada?
Indeed, watch out for Avionco. They never paid me and I've learned the hard way that they have a very bad reputation.
Good luck
Good luck
Re: Working in Canada?
If you are a 146 guy the people who deal with 146's in Canada are Tronos in PEI. Look them up on the web.



