Canjet shutting doors Sept. 10th

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flynbutcher
Rank 5
Rank 5

Canjet shutting doors Sept. 10th

Post by flynbutcher »

It's true!
---------- ADS -----------

WF9F
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WF9F »

It is true,I just got it from a very reliable source.Announcement will be made shortly.

Twizzler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Twizzler »

Stopping all sked service. Concentrating on charters only. Hopefully the cuts won't be too deep!

Last edited by Twizzler on Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luscombe
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Luscombe »

Just received the e-mail from head office. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

I for one certainly didn't see this coming. This really sucks.

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

CanJet to Discontinue Scheduled Air Services

HALIFAX, Sept. 5 /CNW/ - CanJet Airlines, a division of I.M.P. Group Limited, regretfully announces that it will discontinue scheduled air services at the end of business September 10, 2006. I.M.P. wishes to thank its loyal customers, employees and suppliers for their support and will work to minimize the impact of this decision.

Mr. Ken Rowe, I.M.P. Chairman and CEO, said, "with the rising business risks of operating a scheduled airline, I.M.P. has decided to suspend year-round scheduled airline service and focus on their increasing charter business."

CanJet will be offering alternate suitable travel arrangements for anyone booked on their flights after September 10th or fully refunding their tickets.

Many of the affected employees will be offered positions in I.M.P.'s expanding general aviation, aerospace or other business units.

CanJet Airlines is a division of I.M.P. Group Limited, a privately-owned diversified group of companies headquartered in Halifax, Nova Scotia, with extensive interests in aerospace, aviation, manufacturing, healthcare, industrial marine products, and hotels. I.M.P. Group was honoured as one of the "Top 50 Best Managed Companies in Canada" in 2003, 2004, and 2005.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/arch ... c2706.html

pika
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pika »

How much of a player in the charter market will they be?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Funny thing. I was just discussing this possibility with a couple of friends that work for CanJet.

A union might seem great, but if the company can't support that kind of wage structure and inflexibility (through no fault of the employees), the company goes under and people lose jobs.

Is having a crappy job better than no job?

Also, the newly laid off employees are probably in better shape than they think. I'm sure WJ and AC/Jazz will pick up most of them.

jetway
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetway »

Then why the hell are they still interviewing people, as recently as late August for flying positions? Cuts can't be too deep, or the left hand isn't talking to the right hand. Hope all get out unscathed, boys and girls of the front and back, and ground.

talkinghead
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by talkinghead »

jetway wrote:Then why the hell are they still interviewing people, as recently as late August for flying positions? Cuts can't be too deep, or the left hand isn't talking to the right hand. Hope all get out unscathed, boys and girls of the front and back, and ground.
Jetsgone was doing the same thing. Most companys will act like nothing is wrong right to the bitter end.( Airline or not)
I am sorry to hear about this.

748 ho
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 748 ho »

GLAD I JUMPED SHIP WHEN I DID WITH THERE CHIMP LIKE PAY BIG RED AIN'T SHUTTIN DOWN MEN YAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

Ken was betting on cheaper fuel and he lost.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

what a joke.....once again......how many times can these guys shut down and re-open? I wonder how many will be sent packing? Just seems impossible to make it work in the Maritimes...

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I guess they didn't get bought out this time, the real purpose of operating, so they gave up before they had to take the losses themselves.

Start an airline with subsidies, get bought out.
Start an airline with subsidies, get bought out.
etc.
etc.

I'm sorry for any of you who are losing your jobs and your friends.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

Were the pilots not supposed to initiate a union soon? Must have something to do with this.
Ken Rowe did question profitability of the airline if this were to happen a few months ago.

Your union fees at work... keep it up.

green bastard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by green bastard »

50 employee's, 8 pilots. Out of 580 emplyee's and 100 pilots. Charter airline ?

inverter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by inverter »

my buddy, just told me.He just landed in YYC and was told he is out of a job

can it get any better
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Really not that bad a situation for some of the folks I know there that just started.
One individual wanted to go there, get the type rating and leave( go back home to europe), However the 3 year promissary note threw a curve in that. Canjet guys correct me if I am wrong in that.
Now he's doesn't have to worry about it and can just leave, but for the others that are not so fortunate, I'm sure you will get something right quick,.

cheers

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

more than likely just trying to utilize the aircraft till the leases are due, then the CanJet name will be gone....sad day really, I don't think this whole "charter airline" crap is true they are feeding the press I mean what's going to happen in the summer months? the 737-500 is a good jet but no good for year round service (i.e overseas flying), it must be the ass-face known as Ken Rowe trying to show strength to the business community.

good luck to you all, goes to show hard work doesn't always pay off in the end but you will all find jobs easliy if you wish to stay in the industry.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Your union fees at work... keep it up.
A well run company can easily withstand a union and even have a good working relationship with their unionized employees. If the fact Canjet's pilots have recently joined ALPA is the cause for this, then Canjet was on shakey ground to begin with. There has been no change in Canjet's working conditions since they unionized because they have not even begun to negotiate their contract as far as I know.

It is bad management that kills company's, not unions.

My thoughts and respect to those affected by this.

windshear
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by windshear »

The writing was on the wall as soon as the pilots started whispering the "U" word.

Good luck to all. (Except KR)

Return to “General Comments”