MOVING TO CYYZ

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

3HOLER
Rank 0
Rank 0

MOVING TO CYYZ

Post by 3HOLER »

Hey Guys, I need some help. I'm moving to Toronto with my wife and 2 kids and I will be flying out of CYYZ. My problem is where to buy a house. We were thinking about Barrie or Innisfil. Anyone from that area? and if so do you like it or wish you lived somewhere else in the GTA.... Thanks in advance.....
---------- ADS -----------

BeechjetYKZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeechjetYKZ »

Barrie and Innisfil are both out of the city and far from CYYZ. May I suggest somewhere like Markham, Aurora, Newmarket, Richmond Hill? I would look for something with close access to the 407 (toll highway, but worth it for the time savings) or 401.

bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bob sacamano »

No matter where in the GTA, you will hit traffic on the 400 series.

Best bang for your buck might be in the Barrie area, since Richmond Hill would be too expensive.

If you care for the condo lifestyle, Mississauga might be the place for you since the ride is 10-15min to YYZ.

Let's say for a price of a decent house in Barrie, you could get a new condo style townhouse in Mississauga. 20min from Downtown Toronto, 30min to Hamilton, 1hr to Cottage country.

Personally, I like Mississauga, mainly because I like the condo style living.

Welcome to the big smoke.

:smt109
Pete
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Pete »

How about Bradford/Schomberg area? nice and quiet. Some really nice houses in both, and a 30 min drive down 27 to yyz. I like Barrie though...whenever I can afford my own pad, Id like to move there. The west end of Barrie, ummm, around tangle creek golf course off of 27...some nice houses around there for sure...seems like a nice place to be if u have a family

grammar boy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by grammar boy »

If you can't afford something actually in Toronto, then I'd suggest Georgetown. Gotta run, but check it out. I have a couple buddies there. They like it.

"Listen brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so let's just get through this one thing and I can go back to killing you with beer"
Alex YCV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Alex YCV »

Because the airport is located actually in Mississauga (west), and because of traffic issues on the 401 just east of the airport on most days (and some nights and weekends), I would recommend that you draw a line on highway 427, and look for stuff west of that. You will get the best access to the airport, that much is sure.

The further west or north you go, typically the cheaper the housing gets. Price wise, once you get a few miles north of the 407, you will see an improvement in pricing. In Mississauga, some of the best pricing can be had the closer you get to Oakville. If you want to go the Condo route, check out Mississauga first, to get an idea of what you are in for, and work further out from there.

Whatever you do, don't put yourself north east or east if you work at the airport, as you may find the commute times to be a bit longer than you would truly like (although if you are willing to pay to use the 407, you could consider areas like Vaughn or similar).

This is a my sig... I hope you like it.
N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

I lived in Barrie for a year and found it to be too busy for a small (or smaller) town. It's the same old problem too many people in too small an area and the commute on the 400 is, well to put it best ..taking your life in your hands!

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
60N30W
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 60N30W »

Any way you look at it you will more than likely hit traffic, regardless of where you live, unless you like those 0530 check in times.

My advice having lived in the area for now 8 years, after moving from Thunder Bay, Montreal, Mexico City, Edmonton and a bunch of other places is to find an area your wife and kids will enjoy living and then you deal with the drive to and from the airport. Within about 30 minute circle (without traffic) there are alot of choices. Decide what is important and then go find the area that's right for you.

For us, after having lived in Thunder Bay with a view of the big lake, being close to water was important, we now live 10 minutes by foot from Lake Ontario, and with that comes a 5 minute walk to the kids school.

Good luck, I am sure you will find something that works for you, we rented a condo for the first year we were here and every few weeks we ventured out and about till we finally found the area we wanted.

Regards,

60N30W

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

If you're willing to commutte, then I would highly suggest London (yxu). I lived there for 5 years, and in my eyes, it is the "mecca" of Canada. It is a 2hr drive to YYZ, so it is quite a ways away, but the cost of living is low and the housing market there was pretty good when I left. Barrie is closer however, and perhaps Kitchener-Waterloo is be a good alternative.

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
PeteThePilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PeteThePilot »

From the north-eastern most part of Barrie your commute time is 1 hour in no traffic. Much much more with snow, etc. From the east (Oshawa, Pickering, Scarborough) it would be nuts because you would have to take the 401 or 407. Although the 407 moves pretty good but it costs about $0.16 per km. Mississauga is better, lots of condos and close. Oakville is not bad either. Both those areas prices are higher then the north. I have heard Orangeville, Guelph, Georgetown, Kitchener and London are nice but the drive is exponentially longer because of traffic on the 401.

Don't know what you can afford but I have relatives in Mississauga and Oakville whose modest houses are $400 +. You can live like a king for that in the northern areas (Barrie, Wasaga Beach, Collingwood, etc) but the drive will be the kicker.

Good Luck

Handsome B. Wonderful
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Handsome B. Wonderful »

Welcome to the biggest cesspool of ignorance and douchebags in all of Canada... Be prepared to get "the finger" if you happen to be dragging your ass and are only going say 120 km/h in a 100 zone. Be prepared for 90 minute adventures to the beer store cause you forgot it was 5pm friday afternoon when you decided to grab a six pack... Be prepared to have your feet stepped on if you're foolish enough to hold the door for someone...Also be prepared for the following door to promptly swing shut, as you may be expecting the person you just held the door for to do the same for you...And to top it all off you get to pay 3 times more than almost anywhere else to live in such an awesome place...SWEET!! :supz:

STAY AWAY AT ALL COST DUDE!!! YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!!! :toimonster:

ROGERDILDOINANDOUT
C-FABH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by C-FABH »

Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:Be prepared to get "the finger" if you happen to be dragging your ass and are only going say 120 km/h in a 100 zone
My fav is getting the finger after THEY cut you off!

Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

Try Hamilton. Can still get a townhouse for under 150k

In other news

PPRuNe Message
We are sorry but The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork is temporarily closed while we perform some essential maintenace on the website. Normal service will resume shortly and we thank you for your patience.

That'll buff right out :rolleyes:
RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Reverse Commute

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Back in '89 I was able to commute to Wardair (now the GTAA office) from Toronto's East End in 25 minutes along the Gardiner and 427. The traffic's thicker now and you'll save a bunch of time by locating West of Dufferin. Don't know the ages of your kids, but when they want to go places, the TTC means that you or Mum don't have to drive them everywhere.

Mind you, anything with indoor plumbing starts at $350,000 or so.

full throttle
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by full throttle »

I just moved from out east to Barrie in the summer. Nice city and close to cottage country, skiing etc. It's one hour door to door. I travel down once a week, usually in the middle of the night so traffic really isn't an issue. I wouldn't want to do the commute everyday. The 400 is pretty crazy from 7am - 7pm but so is every other road leading into or out of Toronto. Good luck with your move!

full throttle
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by full throttle »

I just moved from out east to Barrie in the summer. Nice city and close to cottage country, skiing etc. It's one hour door to door. I travel down once a week, usually in the middle of the night so traffic really isn't an issue. I wouldn't want to do the commute everyday. The 400 is pretty crazy from 7am - 7pm but so is every other road leading into or out of Toronto. Good luck with your move!

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

My $.02 worth:

The caveat is that I've only been to YYZ once, and hated it. I stayed with a friend who had a hobby farm in the Campbellville/Milton area up on top of the escarpment. About a 5 minute drive to the 401, and then ~ 30 into YYZ. Quiet, semi-rural, no urban sprawl to be found, yet still convenient to downtown if you really have to go and get your urban fix. Oh, yeah, a ski hill nearby, too, as well as lots of parkland.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

+1 for Milton. I grew up there and I turned out great. :roll:

185/310
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 185/310 »

Your a pilot, are things that great.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Give Cambridge or Kitchener a try. The prices are much lower than the GTA, and there are some nice areas. I personally thing Toronto is a sesspool of crap and would never live there period! As for traffic, it sucks pretty much anywhere but you do have the option of the 407 because the 401 is jammed most of the day it seems now. I hate to think of what the traffic will be like in 10 years. Very scary!!

Return to “The Water Cooler”