Long Landing Approved

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

I think it all depends on the aircraft you are operating....
If its a Twin Otter.....well you know what I mean...
---------- ADS -----------

4low
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 4low »

We fly Navajos and King Airs.
bob sacamano wrote:
You coulda ended your post with the story before ranting about instructors and some members mighta thought you weren't a total moron.
Maybe I will buy one of those ignition harnesses that make you blow before you can start your car for my computer.

drifter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by drifter »

It should be a 3 strike system. After your 3rd strike you must prove your sober by passing a test. If you manage to get by the "test" and get busted drinking and typing, you must place a drop of your blood on a scanner thingy that does a blood analysis.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Any instructor who only takes their students up on CAVOK days is not doing their entire job. Your students should have a chance to see the bad wx with you before they get their license.

I have been taking advantage of the lower wx days doing some low level nav with my students on days with 2 miles vis and lower ceilings. It may not be a NDB approach to circling minimums at night but it is good experience for them.

It may not be the level of decision making that some pilots do, but don't belittle what we instructors do when you have an overly simplified view in your head which is not correct.

BTD

P.S. I would do A for most G.A aircraft

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

VFR day/night no wind, non icy runway, I land long and exit long.

IFR day, follow the gp down and then add some power in ground effect and hover taxi to the point longer down the runway where I've been given to land.

YYC tower seems to get angry if you're cleared to land long and touchdown early and then taxi to the planned exit and with those dame electric low pitch stops she's a bit squirrely at haigh taxi speeds when one goes on and the other doesn't... Easier and safer to hover taxi at 100kts than catwalk at 35 kts.

No Conflict
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by No Conflict »

co-joe wrote:VFR day/night no wind, non icy runway, I land long and exit long.

IFR day, follow the gp down and then add some power in ground effect and hover taxi to the point longer down the runway where I've been given to land.

YYC tower seems to get angry if you're cleared to land long and touchdown early and then taxi to the planned exit and with those dame electric low pitch stops she's a bit squirrely at haigh taxi speeds when one goes on and the other doesn't... Easier and safer to hover taxi at 100kts than catwalk at 35 kts.
I agree with points 1 & 2.... I try to take into account whether someone else is lining up for t/o or landing, but I really could not care less if tower gets pissy cause I touch down early for any reason... Hey, it's my ass (and of course my PAX), not the controller.....

Return to “General Comments”