Ramp Checks

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

A.W.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by A.W. »

qqqqqq
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by A.W. on Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Bud the Cat
shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

A.W. wrote:Actually Hz2p, it read...no reply required!!!
If you don't want a reply, your best bet is to keep your opinions to yourself. Since you don't seem to be interested in doing so; be prepared for others to respond as they see fit. Last time I checked, it was a free country after all.

LT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LT »

shitdisturber wrote:Last time I checked, it was a free country after all.
Did you want us to post the election results? :wink:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

A.W. is typical of the mentality that we must demand is removed from TC.

Anyone want to bet A.W. 's ISP is not a TC address, such as maybe tigger.tc.ca?

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
3Green
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 3Green »

Ramped today in T.O. Although I'm obviously not a fan of being ramped, this inspector (Editted.) was very friendly, respectful and quick. Introduced himself, asked if we were in a rush and if not "would we mind" if he had a look at our documents. Then asked if we had time for him to look inside the A/C. Our passenger had just arrived so he told us to have a good flight.
I guess he was just doing his job. Not an inconvenience for us at all.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

doc: not that i'm confirming your allegation, but it would be trigger.tc.gc.ca not the one you had mentioned.

Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Wasn't Me »

3Green

That's the kind of performance you would expect from a TC Inspector not one where you feel like a terorist before you open your mouth. Glad to hear there are some good one around.

There should be some kind of Rights For Pilots policy in the CARS that protect us from Power hungry inspectors that have little to no experience.

I wish I could spell
A.W.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by A.W. »

bbb

Last edited by A.W. on Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A Regulator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Ramp Inspections

Post by A Regulator »

Well it is too bad there are bad pilots, air carriers and inspectors, but there are good ones too. Usually when I conduct ramp inspections the crew are shown my credentials (as it is required) this identifies who I am. The next question is usually when are you leaving, if you are leaving shortly I just ask for lic, med and PPC. If the load is not secured or parts are hanging off the aircraft well that gets a bit more involved. (this may seem silly but I have seen it and other things)

Arrow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Arrow »

I remember one inspector, his name now eludes me, who was really cool. I was flying single otter at the time, and also young and very foolish. I tried to lash a very large hot tub onto the floats. Now the TC fellow sat back and watched, unannounced and unnoticed as I proceeded to make a fool of myself. After about 45 minutes of watching me curse and scream he came over and introduced himself. Being a former otter driver himself he proceeded to laugh at me and inform me to the folly of my ways. Then he shook my hand and left, a really, really nice guy. Wish I could remember his name.

If she floats, give er!
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

A Regulator:

Good points.

And of course I'm sure that you also know some of the outlaws and what to look for. :mrgreen:

Those of us in aviation who try and do things right have no problem with TC enforcing the rules, in fact we insist on it. Over the past fifty years I have seen to many crimminal operators kill to many of my colleauges and get away with it.

I personally am not all that sure that random ramp checks are the way to do it though, maybe it would be better for the inspector to have probable cause or at least a reasonable suspition before checking people who are going about their lawful business?

Just my thoughts. :)

Cat

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

A.W. :

Do you mind if the administrators have a look and see if all or some of your posts were made from a TC computer?

And if you have posted from a TC computer the administrators can confirm same here? :mrgreen:

Cat

Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Wasn't Me »

coming from the old school I always noticed that if a pilot couldn't cut it in the real world he applied to TC that might not be the case now. And as far as bad pilots don't forget who issued them there licences. Its a root problem that can be fixed by starting with standards and educating not violating the aviation community. ( wish i could spelll but I worded for TC for to long )

I wish I could spell
just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Cat Driver wrote:A.W. :
And if you have posted from a TC computer the administrators can confirm same here?
Cat
AW wrote: Come on Cat buddy, let's see if you can really guess who I am, you know me real well
  • There are a number of things Forum Administrators/ Moderators can do.
  • There are a number of things we won't do, such as giving out IP addresses.
This permits a number of interesting and forthright discussions every day. It also encourages some frivoulous ones, and you can guess which way this one is headed. While this back and forth between you two over the last few months has been interesting, clearly neither of you is going to take steps to resolve the impasse between you . Get a couple of duelling pistols if you want and start pacing off outside... but stop wasting bandwidth with this infantile back and forth.

Cat: I offer you every encouragement on winning your TC battle. But try and stay on point in future.
AW: if you were in theory, an inspector, your approach while on line here isn't representative of most of the CAI's I know. If you are one, you might want to consider learning what a reasoned approach is.

I'm not interested in any He Said/ She Said PM's from either of you. You're both over 18, settle it amongst yourselves.

A.W.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by A.W. »

bbb

Last edited by A.W. on Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Just C...:

It 's 09:00 here at Valkenberg Naval Airbase in Holland. The weather is the same as yesterday, sky clear and its going to be hot again today with strong easterly winds.

My only concern is the left engine is showing some rather frustrating signs of excessive CHT unless I run it in Auto Rich with the cowl flaps full open. After three hours and several flights I have been unable to definitively determine as to weather the problem lies with a faulty CHT guage or if in fact that thermocouple and guage are really giving me a true CHT message. That is the problem with old technology engines that only probe one cylinder, you are not getting enough information.

The oil temps and oil pressures are showing normal on both engines and there are only slight temperature excursions as the vernatherm cycles.

So soon I shall leave this computer and once again fly that bird and see if we can determine exactly what is going on with that new engine.

More than likely it will gradually decrease in temperature or maybe we will do a little fiddling with the guage and see what happens.

By the way A.W. is nothing more than a couriousity as far as I am concerned.

Now you all take care and fly safe. :)

Cat

FA28 guy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FA28 guy »

Heard the RCMP big wig got delayed a few minutes at Buttonville Airport with a ramp check. Also heard that TC got burned for it. Maybe TC will learn how to do it right.

CClub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CClub »

I just got ramped yesterday in Brandon. This was my first run in with Transport. And, believe it or not, it went quite well. No violations, and Cat Driver will be appalled to know, that the inspector was friendly, and didn't go out of his way at all to make my life miserable. He commented when he was done, " that was so bad after all, now was it?"

For my first run in with Transport, it was pretty good. Mind you, I won't be holding my breath at all, next time I have a run in with TC. Someone else doing the ramp check could have made my life miserable I'm sure.

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

Just Curious wrote: This permits a number of interesting and forthright discussions every day. It also encourages some frivoulous ones, and you can guess which way this one is headed. While this back and forth between you two over the last few months has been interesting, clearly neither of you is going to take steps to resolve the impasse between you . Get a couple of duelling pistols if you want and start pacing off outside... but stop wasting bandwidth with this infantile back and forth.

Cat: I offer you every encouragement on winning your TC battle. But try and stay on point in future.
AW: if you were in theory, an inspector, your approach while on line here isn't representative of most of the CAI's I know. If you are one, you might want to consider learning what a reasoned approach is.

I'm not interested in any He Said/ She Said PM's from either of you. You're both over 18, settle it amongst yourselves.

Image ...okay...I feel guilty of something I haven't done.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Hey, Just courious, what is with you?

I have never PM'd you about anyone on this forum, I could't be bothered , maybe you have me confused with someone else? :mrgreen:

CClub :

Why would I be appaled that a TC inspector was polite? That is what they are supposed to be, remember we are thir client and pay their wages.

What I am against is their use of ramp checks to hassle law abiding citizens trying to find something such as some poor bastard having forgot their license at home so they can extort more money from us.

Thank God I don't have that problem overseas.

If they spent more time investigating operators who flaunt the rules maybe this industry would be safer.

But hell no, lazy people just take the easy way and fish for infractions among the general pilot pool.

Oh well I could care less, like I said I got smart and don't fly in Canada for a living.

Cat

Return to “General Comments”