Ireland & Canada sign new Air Services Agreement

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

EI-EIO
Rank 7
Rank 7

Ireland & Canada sign new Air Services Agreement

Post by EI-EIO »

Great news - let's hope AC or TS will consider YYZ-DUB-YYZ over the winter now.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/mediaroom/releases/ ... -h071e.htm
No. H 071/07
For release April 30, 2007
CANADA'S NEW GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCES
BLUE SKY AGREEMENT WITH IRELAND

OTTAWA — The Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, and the Honourable David Emerson, Minister of International Trade, today announced an Open Skies agreement with Ireland under the Government of Canada's Blue Sky policy.

The previous bilateral agreement on air services with Ireland, which has been in place since 1947, has been replaced by a new agreement permitting fully flexible airline operations with strong aviation safety and security provisions.

"This new arrangement is a very positive development in our long-standing air transport relations with Ireland. I am pleased to have this new agreement between Canada and Ireland in place, " said Minister Cannon. "The removal of market access restrictions will lead to the introduction of new air services between our two countries, providing more choices for Canadian passengers, shippers, air carriers and airports."

The new agreement will allow air carriers to provide services between any city in Canada and Ireland. Canadian carriers will be allowed to use Ireland as a platform to serve a third country and vice versa. It will also allow airlines to react quickly to market conditions in the setting of their prices and frequency of services.

"This new agreement will support the growth of the strong business ties between Canada and Ireland, and will also facilitate travel for Irish tourists coming to Canada," said Minister Emerson. "This agreement will also create more opportunities for Canadian business to export and invest in Ireland."

The new agreement takes effect immediately. This is the third Open Skies agreement signed as part of this Government's Blue Sky policy.
---------- ADS -----------

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

YYZ-DUB in the winter? Sounds like seasonal VFR market. Some business, but a challenge to fill daily widebody. Arguably best to flow it over LHR.

My $.02

bmc
asdfasd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by asdfasd »

This just mean Ryan Air will have easy access to Canada. Passengers will fly to Ireland and then hop onto another flight to any destination in Europe. This is not good for Canadian aviation!

Ryan air is taking over the world helped by very lax Irish rules and rule enforcement.

If there ever was a beginning to the end, this could be it.

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

IF Ryanair decides to go transatlantic, which he has said he would but it clashes with his business model, New York, Boston, Chicago and LAX offer far greater market opportunity that YYZ does.

Low cost carriers are good. They have proven a business model that makes money and they actually grow the market. Despite that, Canada-Ireland is a seasonal market. Of course there is some business demand, but it's going to flow over LON or AMS and not all of it is going to fly in economy.

bmc
asdfasd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by asdfasd »

[quote="bmc"]IF Ryanair decides to go transatlantic, which he has said he would but it clashes with his business model, New York, Boston, Chicago and LAX offer far greater market opportunity that YYZ does.

quote]

I don’t think he would give away his business plans until its time to start the flying.
Also, yes, YYZ might not as great a market but it is a market!

I expect Ireland to become Ryan Air’s hub of the low cost international travel from NA.

And, your right, low cost does work and it does pay pilots well. BUT, they aren’t hiring Canadian pilots!

EI-EIO
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EI-EIO »

bmc

Ireland need not be a seasonal destination - it just worked out that way. It's not like the weather changes much between summer and winter after all :) It's also a changing place. There are 100,000 Poles living there that weren't there 5 years ago.

With some belly cargo the economics of direct flights might work using 310/762. There's many micks in YTO, not least myself.

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

EI-EIO wrote:bmc

Ireland need not be a seasonal destination - it just worked out that way. It's not like the weather changes much between summer and winter after all :) It's also a changing place. There are 100,000 Poles living there that weren't there 5 years ago.

With some belly cargo the economics of direct flights might work using 310/762. There's many micks in YTO, not least myself.
And I too am a proud mick (B-MC) from Kerry at one point.

The reason I suggest seasonal is to to it being a vacation destination. I haven't looked at the traffic numbers in a long time. At one point 70% of Ireland destined traffic from the USA was hubbed over LHR. Ireland is a growing destination and there's a lot of money in that town. If I were flying it, I'd want to know there was some flow opportunities beyond Dublin to augment the route. Aer Lingus has dramatically downsized the number of airlines they interline with. I think they're down to 15 from originally 153. They are very specific who they interline with and on very specific terms, which, depending on your cost structure could be acceptable. Also, Aer Lingus is up against Ryanair and could welcome some new flow.

I just don't know about the market opportunity in February as a VFR vacation destination out of YYZ when you could fly to the Caribbean. That's all.

It would be interesting to take a hard look at. Over a dozen Guinness. :D

bmc
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Oh joy....... oh Bliss!! Now I can get me arse across the pond to hit a few REAL IRISH pubs..... :drinkers: :partyman: :rock:

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

I fail to see how this is going to hurt aviation in Canada. Are you people realizing the sheer amount of airplanes crossing the pond already to Canada and beyond?

It's not as if ol Aer Lingus is going to start a Hub out of YYZ.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”