Looking to Move On ... Help Appreciated

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Looking to Move On ... Help Appreciated

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Hey Folks,

Here's my situation:

- CPL, Group 1-IFR, (Floats this summer)
- 800 TT (mostly Instructing as Class 3)
- 50 Multi (should be more, like 100-200 ... I know)
- 75 Instrument (60 Simulated and 15 Actual)
- IATRA and ATPLs (SARON & SAMRA) Written Exams Completed
- Bilingual French/English
- Valid Passport

I'm looking to move on, from instructing, to a FO Position with a Charter/Cargo Ops. Eventually it would be nice to fly Corporate or Mainline. Hence, with the industry on the upswing, I've heard of others in my position going right seat on Navajos, Pilatus, and King Airs.

The 64,000$ Question is:

I've been applying to some operators, only to find with most, give you the PFO & please re-apply once you have "operational experience" and/or 1000 TT. Would anyone have any leads, pointers, tips, hints? Any and all help is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks & Regards

Grey_Wolf
---------- ADS -----------

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
saucer_driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by saucer_driver »

Hey,

I am in a pretty similar position....

I have been offered a few float jobs and a right seat job which fell through in the end, but I guess you don't have a flaot rating so.....

Wabusk in Moosonee seem to have a good program, but its in the middle of nowhere. If I were you I would send out alot of resumes to any ho operaters, king air operaters etc... You shouldn't have too hard of a time finding a right seat job, but you will have to be willing to move anywhere. But if i were you i would keep instructing till i found something, don't hurry to jump on a ramp job with a promise.

broompusher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broompusher »

Can-West Corporate Air Charters would be a good place to try in Slave Lake AB. They have 2 B200's, 1 PA31, some 206's and 185's. F/O on the 200's are 500TT. Operations Manager and CP are both really good guys and if they're not too busy will always make time for ya.

Airborne Energy Solutions out of Whitecourt, AB. They have c172 & 177's for pipeline and 2 PA31's, C208B and a King Air 350 out of Calgary. Also a good place to try.

Hope this helps

WTF, over
Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Thanks Broompusher !!! :D

I will investigate these leads, and let you know if anythinf comes out of it

Thanks Again,

Grey_Wolf

broompusher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broompusher »

Sorry, just check that Airborne's Caravan is based in Whitecourt. Poor grammar on my part.

WTF, over
Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Broompusher, Investigated the leads to no avail; Canwest is looking for applicants with a min of 1000 TT, and as for Airborne 1500 PIC. So guess it's gonna be a little while longer before i reach 1000 TT and hopefully doors start opening up.

G_W

Any other leads? anyone? Thanks as always !!!

Zapp Brannigan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Does AES really want 1500 pic for a C172 pipeline job? Or did I just miss something here? I though they could be a place where a new pilot could get a start and Whitecourt would be a decent place to live.

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Does AES really want 1500 pic for a C172 pipeline job? Or did I just miss something here? I though they could be a place where a new pilot could get a start and Whitecourt would be a decent place to live.
http://www.airbornesolutions.com/careers_pilotapp.html

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

monkeyonuranus wrote:Does AES really want 1500 pic for a C172 pipeline job? Or did I just miss something here? I though they could be a place where a new pilot could get a start and Whitecourt would be a decent place to live.
I got a call from them last year in regards to an old resume I sent it. At the time I had under 700 hrs total, with 530 PIC. My experience was somewhat related to what they were looking for, however (low altitude aerial work). They're a great company and pay very well.

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
asdfasd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by asdfasd »

perfect candidate for Kelowna flightcraft, send them a resume.

http://www.flightcraft.ca

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

perfect candidate for Kelowna flightcraft, send them a resume.

http://www.flightcraft.ca
For which position?; checked out there site, only thing i can get at is the bilingual analyst, unless i'm missing the point KFC.

PM me for info

Zapp Brannigan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Grey_Wolf wrote:
http://www.airbornesolutions.com/careers_pilotapp.html
I think that could be for RW pilots as the rest of the requirement indicate that.

pilot to dispatch
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilot to dispatch »

Quit looking at the company website req's. Send in a resume followed up by a phone call.

Voila! you'll have a job in no time these days!

"...and bring a mop!"
Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Quit looking at the company website req's. Send in a resume followed up by a phone call. Voila! you'll have a job in no time these days!
XSBank Rule # 1
Apply to the job you want, not necessarily the one you can get!

As for minimums, some companies stick by them; while others use it as a "suggested" cut-off. I've applied to some with min req of 500TT up to those with 1200-1500TT. Some companies have left me in limbo; while others said straight out NO, come back when you reach the mins; and others were nice and let me interview to end up saying sorry hired a guy with more experience.

Long story short, Sending resumes, following up with calls, but no job yet.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Wolf, just keep at it, don't give up. They used to say it would take about 100 resumes/calls/interviews to get a job. Things are better now but you just need to persevere. You just haven't found the right fit yet.

Don't wait for the company to post an opening - send in an application to whoever you are interested in. In many cases, somebody gives their notice and the company just chooses a candidate from their files instead of posting. There just are not very many qualified guys around right now so get in as many faces as you can. Websites are always out of date because someone has to find the time to update them - in some cases they hire a web-guy and he's too busy these days so the site suffers...If you want information about a company, phone them! There's always someone who will talk to you and if there isn't, phone someone else.

You absolutely have to be proactive in a job search and don't wait for that contact or that website or that job-site to present you with an opportunity. You MUST FIND YOUR OWN OPPORTUNITIES!

Xsbank rule number 1 still applies!

ps. send a resume to KFC! Who cares what their site says, somebody here says there may be an opening so follow it up before someone else does. You have to get in their face and get known. And while you're at it, send some to anybody else in the same town so when you go there to interview or visit, you can see 'em all at one time.

Let us know when you get hired!

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

In a place I worked at years ago, I worked for a guy with a quick temper.

Periodically, we would do something stupid, and in a heartbeat, after describing our low intelligence, and doubtful parentage, he would erupt with : " I should just hire the next bonehead to send me a resume, and fire one of you!"

Most employers don't usually reveal their tempers, but I expect a few really feel this way. Sending in a resume when the boss is annoyed may mean your resume may get consideration when it is outside the normal zone of hiring.

And, what, you might ask, might provoke an employers rage these days? How about the movement a a zillion 703/4 drivers to the next level, or even a lateral move for better treatment?

XS is right, Send the resumes.

JC

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

just curious & xsbank,

Thanks as always, it's great to hear your advice; and i will head it !!!!
Gives me hope for the frustration that has been for the last few months.
You absolutely have to be proactive in a job search and don't wait for that contact or that website or that job-site to present you with an opportunity. You MUST FIND YOUR OWN OPPORTUNITIES! ... Let us know when you get hired!
xs, will do ! although some times it's easier said than done. It may sometimes come down to "right place, right time" as jc refered to. Till then, guess it's Chin Up, and keep plugging away. Thanks again all ! :)

V2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by V2 »

borek is always looking for guys, keep bugging em till they give u a job

Zapp Brannigan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

I'm in the same boat as well Grey Wolf. Frustration, anxiety, I feel like I'm making the wrong choices etc. But, every job and every change you make in life is hard to do and it is easier said than done to make those changes.

I love aviaiton but also hate some aspects of it when it comes down to the politics involved in some companies.

Hope you find the right job that suits what you want to do in your career!

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Wolf, just keep at it, don't give up. They used to say it would take about 100 resumes/calls/interviews to get a job. Things are better now but you just need to persevere. You just haven't found the right fit yet.
I'm in the same boat as well Grey Wolf. Frustration, anxiety, I feel like I'm making the wrong choices etc. But, every job and every change you make in life is hard to do and it is easier said than done to make those changes.
Well folks, my parents (who have been my biggest supporters from day one) have always told me that to persevere, the right job will never be served to you on a silver plater, you must work and strive towards it. If it's meant to be than it will happen, if not then persevere, pray, and it will happen, and the pasture will be greener, once i arrive. Don't mean to preach for we aren't a religeous family by any means; but i've been taught to appreciate what i have and to work hard to acheive my goals. An employer is always happy to hire someone who has a strong work ethic. Work hard, and you'll never have to ask for a raise or beg for work; as dad always said.

Return to “Employment Forum”