Direct-entry EMB Captains

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ca787546
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ca787546 »

Hmmm... Let's see... how do I put this without making it sound arrogant (I don't really want to be arrogant anyway, not my thing). I have worked for a couple airlines around the world. I am an FO, and both airlines I have worked for do or have done the DEC thing. Yes, it does piss some people off, and it is completely understandable why. Also, the FOs still made it to captain fairly quick, if there was a need, the company would hold the requirements for captain and if they couldn't fulfill it with the current FOs, then they would take DECs, which makes sense (although it really sucks for the ones that just barely didn't make it past the bar). As an FO, I completely understand why the AC system is great, and don't take it wrong, I am not trying to put it down or anything. Also as an FO, I have flown and learn quite a lot from very talented, knowledgeable, experienced and skilled DE commanders that would not have been there otherwise. I'm just saying that it isn't arrogant, it is just an alternative that has it's pros and cons, just like everything else in life. If I am to move back to Canada and get an AC job (which I would absolutely love), I am prepared to go to the back of the line and go through the loops just like the rest of the people; and like it has been said, if you can't afford to sustain your family with the AC salary given to an ERJ FO on first year, then I guess you have to stay abroad or wherever you happen to be.
Cheers,
DNB
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

That didn't sound arrogant to me at all. Overseas airlines that hire DEC's have either undergone explosive growth or are in an area of the world that doesn't have a bottom to top industry like Canada, Europe and the United States. The same doesn't apply to Air Canada where they have no problem getting Captains from within their own ranks. Some FO's are bypassed especially now that they are in their own growth period, but those bypassed retain their seniority and when they have the experience, knowledge and skill necessary they will reclaim their natural place in the whole scheme of things as vacancies come open.

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

If I can just add to some of what guys are saying about how highly experienced candidates should be given direct entry to the left seat. Just because someone looks good on paper does not make them an instant commander.

I have been training a diverse crowd on the Embraer and some of the best candidates were B1900 pilots from CMA while some of the worst were ex commanders of heavy stuff. To the point where I could not believe they were previously in command of any aircraft, let alone a heavy jet or turboprop.

Usually guys in that category are older too, like myself and get somewhat set in their ways, thus making the training a little less effective. Someone with an open mind and a clean slate will accept the differences and not always make comparisons to a Boeing or Airbus which, after two years on the Embraer, I still find myself doing.

Standby for new atis message
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

completely off topic...
Jaques Strappe, that avatar of yours is funny as hell, and so true.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.

Return to “Air Canada”